rough play

mitch1211

hi i have a 16 month husky called storm. last week i finally got another husky called mia she is 9 weeks. i no huskies play rough but storm has left her yelping a few times today she stole his bone and he nipped her she yelped and peed :(. should i keep them apart to she is older or will they be ok? post-9250-0-61284100-1400087859_thumb.jp

post-3669-13586034683214_thumb.jpg

They can stay together, but supervise them and their play...He is much bigger than she is and doesn't realize his strength.

Watch his body language when they "play". if you notice any signs other than play...seperate them.

Keep the bones out of neutral territory, because is being protective over it and most likely be a fight, and not play....

and for it being only a week, he is still figuring out what this dog is doing there. May be showing it's his house first

Keep an eye on their interactions, making sure that he doesn't get too rough. Most adults (even young ones) are remarkably tolerant toward puppies, and if he gets just rough enough to make her yelp (but not so rough that he's likely to truly harm her), her behavior will soon tell him he's being too rough and that she won't play if he is. If she keeps coming back, he isn't being too rough!

I also would keep any really high-value toys for when they're separated, but if he does correct her when she goes for his "stuff", whether it's a toy or bone or anything else he has, he's teaching her proper dog manners. You don't take what is someone else has!

I would definitely interrupt play if he makes her yelp. Rough play is fine as long as both dogs are okay - if one of them is yelping, it means is too rough for them.

As for stealing his bone, I would not allow her to steal items from him - it's not fair for him to have his bone stolen and both dogs should be entitled to be able to chew their treats in peace. That's why I would teach both of them to leave each other alone when they are eating. His nipping her when she stole the bone was entirely something else than play, therefore it's really important to establish boundaries for when they are eating.

That being said, it doesn't seem like she was severely injured, especially if he didn't draw any blood. If that's the case, he was just correcting her for her bad behaviour, as it often happens with an older dog and a puppy.