How to tell someone a husky isn't for them?

Katers91

I would NOT recommend a husky to anyone who is having a dog for the first time and if they really like their house etc. Mine wasn't as bad as others I have seen, but the husky fur was everywhere and my garden was (and is) ruined. On top of that 'we' had no prior knowledge of the breed or experience (a husky wasn't my choice of dog....long story!).......ending with a relationship breakdown and our huskies being separated. (I threw myself into the husky world from the moment I realised that my husky pup was a huge responsibility - I wasn't going to bring up a rude and unsociable dog!!) :) I am now far more into huskies than my ex ever was - or will be I imagine!

I also have a friend who thought a husky or mally was a good choice for her. I tried to tell her it wasn't and warned her of the responsibility and effort that comes with owning one. Needless to say she bought a junior mally home - kept him for one night and called to arrange to re-home him the very next day. Needless to say I was furious - the previous owners were furious and she spent a night crying saying she 'couldn't handle him'. In particualr asd the mally wouldnt get on with her cats. She was HUGELY un-realistic in her vision of what life with a mally and 2 cats would be like. :duh:

Knowing what I do now and having the experience etc I know what to expect and I would be far better prepared for a new husky arrival.

Not to be rude of course !! But only to prevent heartache and a potentially re-homed puppy of lovliness!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don’t want to seem rude to them, you can casually mention all of the points that might turn them off getting a husky. It seems to me that it would not matter what breed…they probably should not get a puppy at all if they are that impatient!

I am a first time husky owner. I had always wanted one, since I was little, and I did TONS of research about the breed before I got him. Even after I got him, I was not prepared!!

Since she is house proud, she will most likely be very frustrated! If I wanted my home to have no fur I would have to vacuum 2-3 times a day! And my pup hasn’t even blown his coat yet! If they don’t want some of their stuff chewed up.

Besides the shedding, and chewing there’s digging in the yard. If I leave my pup alone for 5 minutes, he will start digging and have his paws caked with dirt and mud. He is also very stubborn and will decide when he wants to listen to commands.

I’m sure you already know all of the reasons why some people should not get a husky.

When anybody asks me I just tell them the short blunt way lol. Sometimes its the only way that it sinks in :rolleyes: if that fails I tell them that they would be better off with a 2 year old plus dog as hopefully by then its training and personality is either where it needs to be or more easy to judge :)

So it's a bit of a toughie, I hope this is the right place to post this.

My Brother is wanting to get a husky with his Girlfriend for their first dog together. But for a bunch of reasons, I don't think they'd be able to handle a husky in the puppy/teenage stage at all, it's a niggling feeling I can't quite shake. They have very little patience, and his Girlfriend is very house proud. For one they have black sofas I know a husky hair would just love to mesh itself onto for eternity, which she's already obsessive over keeping clean.

I've spoken to my boyfriend about it, expecting him to tell me to stop being so silly, but he agreed. Adding he wouldn't feel comfortable leaving Ryder with them alone for any length of time because if he did one little naughty thing, he thinks they'd be overly harsh with him. His Girlfriend has lost her cool with Ryder already, and shoved him quite hard (which I did call her out on) and being in the room with him I know full well he wasn't doing anything bad at all :( My Brother's also gone to hit Ryder for biting him, despite me seconds earlier telling him to stop rough housing Ryder so much because he will get over excited and start mouthing. You don't get anywhere by shoving or hitting a dog.

On one hand I feel I should keep my nose out, but the other is telling me they're the type of people who'd underestimate the breed profiles of huskies, get one regardless, not be able to handle him/her then end up rehoming the poor thing. I'm not confrontational at all, so don't know where to begin in getting my point across. What would you do?

I don't think the blunt way is the way to go here - in my own experience, I have learned that very rarely do people listen to you if you are being blunt. Most often is better not to tell them straight ahead that they are NOT fit for owning a husky, but rather patiently explaining them the pros and cons of owning one, without being partial to the cons. It's much easier for people to actually heed your advice if you go about it in a nice and helpful manner and give them arguments that will make sense to them.

There something else that bothers me. I permanently see this profile of huskies as being a completely unmanageable breed of dog and a challenge to own, HOWEVER I think too much credit is being given to huskies as being tough dogs to own. Personally, I believe that any breed of dog is tough to own if you lack the commitment.

My husky was my first dog ever and we've had our challenges here and there, but I don't think we've had a much harder time because he was a husky. Most of the stuff we did, we would have done with another breed as well. I personally think that huskies are entirely manageable if you know what are the buttons to push, so to speak. Huskies have this reputation, but I personally do not think they are so hard to own - at the end of the day, I believe that all the requirements for a husky, such as training, lots of exercise, discipline etc. are thing that any dog should be given. If

I know you know them best, but you should also give them some credit - they can learn to be patient and they can learn to treat a dog properly, they just need to be taught in a manner that resonates with them (yeah, I know I have too much faith in humanity). What I would really do is just have a talk with them and demonstrate to them what the advantages of treating your dog properly are. Show them with Ryder, hands on, what treating him properly will achieve and what will happen if you, for example, over excite him. Show them how training him works and show them how he actually listens to you if you have the right attitude. Never having had a dog, they have a lot to learn and just because they don't know it yet, it doesn't mean they can't learn.

If they actually experience owning a dog for a few days, they might realize for themselves that they can't cope with it. Or it might make them realize how much effort they need to put into it and it will make them more committed to it. I am sure you wouldn't trust Ryder with them, but have them spend an entire day with you and do everything that you do with him by themselves, supervised by you (from walking him, picking up poop, feeding him, playing with him, training him etc.)

The way I see this is that they won't listen to you if you just tell them they shouldn't get a husky, so if you can't beat them, join them (so to speak :P). In many ways it's about selling them the idea that owning a dog is hard work and they either need to commit to it or give it up. Well anyway, that is what I would try to do (but then again, I could speak about dog training and dog stuff for hours on end if nobody stopped me).

Just say it simply how it is. Nicely of course.

Give her example on Ryder. How she hit him. Is she going to do that when she has her dog and he isn't behaving properly?

Is she going to yell at him? What is she going to do about her couch and house?

Give her loads of examples and pictures. Tell her to wait. Tell her to visit a doggie place.

I hate having to tell people how it is but if it's a situation like this, no.

take ryder around when in full blow, as he happily wanders around brushing on the furniture the enormity of the situation might just sink in with her especially if you say it lasts for yonks!! just being told and seeing videos might not be enough cos of the "thats an extreme case and wont happen to me" syndrome

I would NOT recommend a husky to anyone who is having a dog for the first time and if they really like their house etc. Mine wasn't as bad as others I have seen, but the husky fur was everywhere and my garden was (and is) ruined. On top of that 'we' had no prior knowledge of the breed or experience (a husky wasn't my choice of dog....long story!).......ending with a relationship breakdown and our huskies being separated. (I threw myself into the husky world from the moment I realised that my husky pup was a huge responsibility - I wasn't going to bring up a rude and unsociable dog!!) :) I am now far more into huskies than my ex ever was - or will be I imagine!

Suka was my first dog...but I feel like I lucked out! He's one of the very rare lazy and calm huskies! LOL

Nevertheless, I did a lot of research before adopting him and even AFTER that I was hesitant!

Even after reading and watching videos on how much hair they can shed...I didn't expect his shedding to be this bad! It's like a full coat blow year-round, practically...and somehow hairs find their way in rooms where Suka has NEVER gone in and where the doors are mostly closed!

That being said, and sorry for taking a little attention off of the OP, but when I get my next husky (probably after I graduate university...Suka might be gone by then. :( ), I plan to make sure I can deal with its 'quirks' in a new setting and lifestyle.

I don't think the blunt way is the way to go here - in my own experience, I have learned that very rarely do people listen to you if you are being blunt. Most often is better not to tell them straight ahead that they are NOT fit for owning a husky, but rather patiently explaining them the pros and cons of owning one, without being partial to the cons. It's much easier for people to actually heed your advice if you go about it in a nice and helpful manner and give them arguments that will make sense to them.

There something else that bothers me. I permanently see this profile of huskies as being a completely unmanageable breed of dog and a challenge to own, HOWEVER I think too much credit is being given to huskies as being tough dogs to own. Personally, I believe that any breed of dog is tough to own if you lack the commitment.

My husky was my first dog ever and we've had our challenges here and there, but I don't think we've had a much harder time because he was a husky. Most of the stuff we did, we would have done with another breed as well. I personally think that huskies are entirely manageable if you know what are the buttons to push, so to speak. Huskies have this reputation, but I personally do not think they are so hard to own - at the end of the day, I believe that all the requirements for a husky, such as training, lots of exercise, discipline etc. are thing that any dog should be given. If

I know you know them best, but you should also give them some credit - they can learn to be patient and they can learn to treat a dog properly, they just need to be taught in a manner that resonates with them (yeah, I know I have too much faith in humanity). What I would really do is just have a talk with them and demonstrate to them what the advantages of treating your dog properly are. Show them with Ryder, hands on, what treating him properly will achieve and what will happen if you, for example, over excite him. Show them how training him works and show them how he actually listens to you if you have the right attitude. Never having had a dog, they have a lot to learn and just because they don't know it yet, it doesn't mean they can't learn.

If they actually experience owning a dog for a few days, they might realize for themselves that they can't cope with it. Or it might make them realize how much effort they need to put into it and it will make them more committed to it. I am sure you wouldn't trust Ryder with them, but have them spend an entire day with you and do everything that you do with him by themselves, supervised by you (from walking him, picking up poop, feeding him, playing with him, training him etc.)

The way I see this is that they won't listen to you if you just tell them they shouldn't get a husky, so if you can't beat them, join them (so to speak :P). In many ways it's about selling them the idea that owning a dog is hard work and they either need to commit to it or give it up. Well anyway, that is what I would try to do (but then again, I could speak about dog training and dog stuff for hours on end if nobody stopped me).

The OP said they (they being brother and wife) had two border collies before but sent them away to her parents. I forget the exact reason, but chalk it up to 'not worth it'.

I know some will disagree, but I don't think a sibe or any breed who sheds heavily is the right breed for house proud people. There's house pride, and then there's simply liking things clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course lack of commitment will make any dog difficult to own, but considering the sheer size and strength of a husky it leads to much harsher consequences then say, a little yorkshire terrier that has the same behavioural problems. Like I said (I think) I don't doubt they'd be good owners to an older dog, but knowing my Brother's temperament, his Girlfriend's slightly OCD ways and equally short temper, I don't think they're suited to having a puppy at all.

The OP said they (they being brother and wife) had two border collies before but sent them away to her parents. I forget the exact reason, but chalk it up to 'not worth it'.

The two collies were his girlfriends, but the female got destructive out of boredom/stress as she wasn't used to being left alone for such lengths of time and the male's obsessive behaviour spiralled too.

Thanks for all the useful words though. I walked Ryder up to their house last night, I had the photo of Skyla blowing her coat on my phone too. I tried the approach of negative-positive. So while showing them how unruly Ryder can seem if he gets over excited, I also showed how easily he listens to commands. Adding while they aren't an ideal breed for most peoples first dogs, those who are really committed will find huskies a pleasure to own. Then I showed them Skyla's picture my Brother's first reaction was 'what has she ripped up?!' :whistling: Nope, that's just her blowing her coat! I slipped in a 'think of your nice black sofa..' and 'but if you up your hoovering a little, it'll be kept under control' I did tell them I honestly didn't think they were ready for a dog, and that they should enjoy just living together before getting another responsibility. They've also been struggling with money, and have just paid off a loan, so said they should have fun with the extra pennies and not tie it straight back into sacks of food, toys, vets bills, training classes, adoption fees, insurance yaddayadda. (Didn't add I'd already happily go without all the things I thought I loved spending my spare money to keep Ryder..) They took it well, and actually left with them saying they think they'll be waiting a bit before getting a dog. So we'll see :)

Oh! We have dog hair in our oven too , it just gets EVERYWHERE

Maybe mention poop picking too if she's that high maintenance she might not like that idea , and mention that if they eat something that they shouldn't , is too rich for them , or if they are fed too much they get chronic runs too EVERYWHERE!

I can also list everything skyla has chewed if that might help lol

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

I thought my Brother would have been less alarmed at the hair. We did have a husky growing up! But thinking back, the most he ever did with Boomer was walk him. I have a blanket that's still covered in Boomer hairs no matter how many times I wash it, I don't use it now because it clicked that eventually all the hairs would come out and that's the last I have of him (my parents still have his collar) quite pathetic of me really! :oops:

I should make a list of what Ryder already 'explores with his mouth' ( :angel: ) carpet, coffee table, sides of the sofa, action figures, wires, baby gates, steps..

Suka was my first dog...but I feel like I lucked out! He's one of the very rare lazy and calm huskies! LOL

Nevertheless, I did a lot of research before adopting him and even AFTER that I was hesitant!

Even after reading and watching videos on how much hair they can shed...I didn't expect his shedding to be this bad! It's like a full coat blow year-round, practically...and somehow hairs find their way in rooms where Suka has NEVER gone in and where the doors are mostly closed!

That being said, and sorry for taking a little attention off of the OP, but when I get my next husky (probably after I graduate university...Suka might be gone by then. :( ), I plan to make sure I can deal with its 'quirks' in a new setting and lifestyle.

Ahh Suka is lovely. I pretty much had a husky pup thrust upon me. I was NOT prepared and there were many tears from me as to our male pups dominance and naughty behaviour. Sadly due to the separation I haven't seen him in months - I have my girl Raya. I have had dogs throughout life, but I'm on my 4th husky year - which have been the hardest but also the best. There is nothing else like the husky community. The UK husky camp this April was awesome. So my break-up did have a happy ending in the form of Raya being with me. I wouldn't part with her for the world. I love her to pieces.

It's great that you're thinking about husky ownership responsibly. :up: As for the uni part...I feel your pain! I work full time and am attempting my Masters degree part time. I am officially mad. I finish in September though! :woohoo:

Good luck with it - and Suka is soooooooooooooooo handsome. <hugs!> Raya is pretty lazy in the house too !!

x