Keep your dogs on leads, especially around farms!

BlueWolf

Apparently a loose dog got to a field of sheep and attacked six lambs last week. It's something that you quickly read through and continue on with the next news item. Well, today I found out it's one of the farmers I know through my internship. We asked how his lambs where coming along to which he replied "Haven't you read the news?" :eek:

Between Saturday evening and Sunday morning six lambs have been bitten by a dog, one of them hasn't survived the attack. The others had clear bite marks of a dog. He found them in the morning with blood literally everywhere. The one that had not survived it was probably attacked at the side of the field (as there was blood everywhere), jumped into the water at the side of the field in a panic attack where the dog made his final attack. The farmer found his body without a tail and head, with his belly ripped open :(

The dog and owner are still missing. The police has started an investigation with the evidences. It looks like the farmer isn't looking for 'revenge' on the dog but merely wants his missed money back (in this case it's a good thing the world of farming is hard I suppose. Lambs are replaceable in his opinion, adult sheep not so much).

Seriously though, even if you have a dog that you think you can trust offlead, keep your dogs on leads around farms! You seriously don't want to be the cause of this mess... Both money-wise as emotional-wise. This will only increase the tension between farmers and dog owners :(

I totally agree...keep them on the lead around here there are lots of people that keep sheep who are not farmers and they all have lambs in their fields so nice to see and then yep a dog of lead and the lambs just scatter everywhere to just get away and it then that they get caught either in the fence or the water dividing the fields....

is actually very fair that the farmer just wants the money for the ewe..

all too common here in the uk im afraid :(

last month 2 were condemmed to death because of this.

There where rumours in the neighbourhood that a malamute has been PTS because it was off lead and attacked sheep. Apparently nobody was surprised by that but the owner didn't want to listen :(

That' s good,sound advice.No dog,least of all huskies,should be trusted around any livestock.I wouldn't dare let mine anywhere near any kind of farm animals,dread to think what would happen.Should be common sense but sadly not all people seem to know this.

We took ours up ingleton falls a couple of summers ago. There were signs on every gate asking people to keep dogs on leads because it was lambing season and only about a third did!! I'd have loved to see people's reactions if the farmer had turned up at the gate with a shotgun, because that's what the idiots are risking happening. And it's not the fault of the dog, it's the stooopid owners grrrr perhaps they should change the law to. Shoot the owner not the dog?? Lol perhaps they'd be more careful with their own skin

Atleast he's not demanding the dog be PTS.

Jos, are there any coyotes in your country? It might have been a coyote, or did he actually see the dog around his property?

No proper wildlife in this side of the country at all. Foxes, maybe, but I think you can't confuse the bitemarks of (big?) dog easily with the one of a fox, let alone that a fox would do this.