All-white killer whale spotted off Russia

aronoiiel

It's bugging me that places are reporting this as the first white adult bull to have ever been seen.....there's half a dozen of them known around the world that have been regularly seen since the 1970's! The most famous before this guy was a massive bull in Alaska :rolleyes:

It's bugging me that places are reporting this as the first white adult bull to have ever been seen.....there's half a dozen of them known around the world that have been regularly seen since the 1970's! The most famous before this guy was a massive bull in Alaska :rolleyes:

Are there any pics ov them? I tried google searching but it didn't show any decent pics :-S

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

OMG so cool!

Hy'Shqa - LOL! I had to go searching, but I did finally find an article referencing (and dismissing) the Alaskan whale. Apparently he wasn't completely white, so he doesn't count! "

In 2008, a white orca spotted in Alaska's Aleutian Islands "sent researchers and the ship's crew scrambling for their cameras" said

MSNBC

. Further observation showed that while the whale's saddle area was white, other parts of its body had a subtle yellowish or brownish color. John Durban, a research biologist at NOAA's Alaska Fisheries Science Center in Seattle said at the time, that it was not likely an albino given the coloration. Yet this killer whale was also discovered in a pod of twelve."

You can still see the distinct areas of true white on this whale too, though. It will be interesting to see if they get a blood sample to determine if he's an albino or if it's some super rare colour dilute mutation. I think they're just so impressed because of how old he is - albino critters don't tend to last long in the wild!

I think it's just so awesome that the oceans are still so while, remote and mysterious that a big white bull like that can go 16 years without being seen (or at least reported) before!

Yeah I remember hearing about that before - the 'brown' patches you could see in all the photos I've seen are clearly algal growths like you see in the Arctic subspecies of orca. The eye patches of this 'new' one can clearly be seen so it's not a true albino either or there'd be no pigment anywhere and the eye patches would be invisible. My money's on slow news day!

ETA: Here's the Alaskan boy from years ago:

tumblr_ltzewuFnfN1r4xcg1o1_500.jpg

aronoiiel check it out - National Geographic seems to think that the Aleutian white orca and this recent one are likely the same whale. They also speculate that - based on visible colour on the the whale - it is not a true albino either. And they even point out the same thing you did about algae affecting the look of the colour of their skin!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/04/120425-white-killer-whale-russia-animals-science-albino/?source=link_fb20120425news-whitekillerwhale

The comments on Facebook are sure good for a laugh though! There be some ignorant people out there!

I figured it wasn't a true albino to many things just don't add up with his coloration. Makes for interesting theories though :D He's gorgeous and I hope it's not a disease like they mentioned poor boy :( I know they said it's likely not the one they think but still. You never know in the animal kingdom. I wonder what problems he would have as a predator trying to blend in colored like that?