What do you feed your husky?

Shaiasaur

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feed Nikko Wellness Super5mix for puppies. I chose that because of the ingredients and the low amount of grains it has…however that was before I did more research, and think that Taste of the Wild seems to be very good, as it has no grains whatsoever. Since Huskies have sensitive stomachs I have to be careful what to feed mine.

As for treats I give him boiled chicken (his favorite), Wellness puppy treats, carrots and apples.

All of mine are on Taste of the Wild, the main reason is it is a very high quality food and I do have a hyper allergic one who can't have any grains, preservatives, or dyes. Super special needs girl. Than in conjunction with 10 I just do not have time to prep, room to store, and be able afford raw feeding. Having tried a multitude of foods TOTW has provided the best results by far.

Ryder's on Royal Canin Maxi Junior, it's actually what the Vet gave us a sample of. The food he came with gave him the runs, he refused any other food we tried him on until RC. But then I found out they test on animals :( So once we're out of that we'll be looking to change his diet. Hopefully either TOTW or Burns :)

Can you buy this "Taste of the Wild" at stores? How much does to roughly cost?

Yes you can. I believe TOTW is available at your local store. If it's available in Indonesia why it won't be in the US? ;) Price range is about... Elyse (SolitaryHowl) says around $70 Canadian dollars

mine are picky eaters, kiz will now and again eat whatever but they mostly eat the frozen food from pets at home now, it seems to be the only food i've tried that doesn't give kiz an upset stomache, Nook will eat anything except tinned dog food, they also have chicken sometimes.

Their favourite treats are carrotts, apples and bonio's (not all at once thought of course xD)

Luka will be on TOTW for puppies. i bought it at hollywood feed which is a more upscale/natural pet supply store. I know petco carries it but I don't think they had the puppy brand. I originally had purchased Fromms for him but wound up changing after reading such excellent reviews on TOTW. It runs me about $12.99 for a small bag and i think a little less than $50 for the huge bag.

Thanks a lot guys!

Well, could I just purchase something cheap at the store like kibbles and bits or something?

Not really. You'd want to feed healthy kibble to your dog, especially if its a puppy! Huskies are prone to sensitive stomach and usually don't fare well on kibbles with a lot of grain in them.

In general, for picking a kibble brand to decide if they're healthy and not 'full of crap'...you want to look at the first 5 or so ingredients. You'd want at least 3 of these 5 ingredients to be meats, but preferably 4 or all 5 of them to be meats.

As for fillers, usually potato and egg are healthier and are preferred over other cheap fillers like corn, corn meal, and etc.

Also, you want to watch out for carcinogenic preservatives (preservatives that are known to cause cancers) that some companies use. The brand that immediately pops out to me is 'Alpo', but I'm sure there are many others that use carcinogenic preservatives.

www.dogfoodanalysis.com provides free reviews about kibble brands, and gives them a 6 star rating. You can browse through them yourself, and see what makes a 1 star brand and what makes a 6 star brand. It gives ingredient lists and brand names so you know what to avoid or what food to look for.

Taste of the Wild; Fox doesn't do well with grain based foods, and the others just sort of got stuck with it as he was here first.

We also buy a roast, and cut it up into tiny pieces, and freeze it for treats...any bit that isn't being today gets stuck in the freezer

Occasionally we give chicken wings, once in a rare occasion liver, and in a blue moon...duck.

You could always email some of the companies asking for some more literature on their products, 9 times out of 10 this comes with samples and money off coupons. And that's with English companies, I know American ones are a lot more generous!

I know $50 seems like a lot to lay down on kibble but not only is it better for you dog like Elyse said, but it doesn't really work out that much more expensive in the long run. The food we have stored for Ryder cost us £40 a sack, I ran the numbers (because I'm sad) and it costs us 80p a day to feed him on a 'high end' brand. Which is barely anything :)

Thank you all for your answers and when I get a husky I might consider that diet, but then again I feel bad because I get my cat 9 lives from the store or friskies and it's not even as much as that and I don't want to spoil the dog more than my baby Tails, ):

We feed cloud a complete raw diet, (the one without veggies, cant remember name) he is currently on a different range of meats, including chicken, beef, rabbit, lamb, ox heart and ox liver (5% per week for his total liver intake) (he totally refuses this at the moment though) over the next few days, we plan to introduce mackerel, pork and trout also he will be introduced to kidney (5% per week again aswell as part of his offal), The reasons we have gone raw, is the amount of research we did before picking him up to try and plan the best upbringing for him of all the different diets out there, the pure raw seemed the best for him, after all he is like another child to us xxx