A dog named Sam.........get your tissues ready.

Austinville

...Wow...

This kind of stuff just makes me sick and just want to snap on stupid people.

Euthenizing a PUPPY because it "jumps on children." Well no crap. Especially if you don't train it not to. That's awful. It's like killing a small child for something they can't control like wetting a diaper or vomiting on the carpet.

Very moving. In my opinion, they should make people trying to surrender their dogs to shelters for downright stupid reasons to read this stuff. Anybody with half of a heart should be sickened by this. There is no way I could do "peggy's" job.

Yep, had me in tears. These kind of stories hit home for me, especially ever since I got Scout. Sam's fate was very nearly Scout's fate. Every time I look at him I feel so happy that I reluctantly rescued him, because he's been one of the best dogs I've ever had. His only crime - the actions that got him rejected by three humane society re-homes and at least 2 shuffles before he was surrendered at 6 months old - was to be a big, rambunctious puppy.

Every single person who wants to buy a puppy or get a dog unprepared should be forced to read stories like this.

The human race has a lot to answer for when it comes to treatment of the animals we share this planet with. The Ex owners who surrender their animals in such circumstances should be forced to be present when their 'pet' is euthanized.

Trouble is, we are such a disposable society. The worst is when people get a dog, don't like how it turns out. And whose fault is that!? Hand it over to a dog home, then go out an get another dog!

There are three people I work with who have done just that, one is on her third dog!

This is a very moving story which is very well presented.

Unfortunately I suspect that the vast majority of people who should read this particular article will never do so and I doubt whether they would appreciate, (or even comprehend the reasoning behind), sites and forums such as this, (rather excellent), one.

My wife and I have 'adopted' a number of animals, (cats and dogs), all of which have had very poor starts in life such as Heidi, (I was never quite sure what breeds she consisted of), who had been rescued from an early life of severe beating.

Upon our arrival at the foster home she was completely emaciated, (all of her skeletal frame was visible), her fur, (what was left of it), was matted and flea ridden and once she caught sight of me she fled up the stairs due to her intense fright as she would not tolerate the presence of any male figure due to the fact that it was a man that had, contiinually, beat her.

Partly through sadness and partly through my sense of 'duty' I made the decision to adopt her and signed the appropriate paperwork, (agreeing to pick her up later that week), and I have to be honest by stating that I did consider cancelling the proposed adoption partly due to the fact that she was not a 'designer' dog but mainly due to the fact that I didn't want a dog in that state to enter my household and infect my children with numerous varieties of parasites.

That was, about, twenty five years ago and not long after I had got married with two very young children and very little experience with anything other than Cats and Rabbits but my wife and I made a committment and we stuck to it and Heidi became one of our most dearest 'honory' members of the family.

My children grew up with Heidi and we all learned a great deal from each other, (as to the correct behaviour expected between man and dog), and Heidi soon regained her confidence with the male figure once she found herself in a safe and caring environment and, (when Heidi succombed to cancer in her early teens), I then discovered the rather disturbing fact that I had become deeply attached to this noble beast as I, too, embarrassed myself during our very last journey together to the local vets.

A few years later our cat passed away and, (once again), we found ourselves travelling to the local cat rescue centre and after browsing all of the pens viewing all of the proud, confident and well presented cats, (all of which were standing at the front of the pen, against the wire mesh, almost demanding attention by meowing 'Please take me home!'), we had soon chosen a rather attractive juvenile animal that had caught our eye and we began the process of adoption!

As my wife completed the paperwork I felt compelled to revisit all of the pens, (not quite sure why), but upon closer examination I began to notice solitary figures lurking in the shadows in the darkest recesses at the very back of each pen and these were the animals that would never be seen, (never mind chosen), by the visiting families and their lives were already biased towards oblivion - it was only a matter of time.

Cutting, (another long story), short we took ALL of these animals home with us, (8 cats in total - we live in a semi rural environment), as we knew that they would not have been adopted by anybody else and that, eventually, they would have had to make way for other unfortunate cats who may have had a slightly better chance of adoption.

Apologies for the long thread but Heidi does appear to have a great deal to answer for, (in our particular household), as we have since provided the very best caring environment for a wide range of animals, (during the past 25 years), including a Rook, (which had a severely damaged wing and had been subject to a 'Rook Parliament' and which, subsequently, lived with us for two years), as well as numerous Hedgehogs, (I am a carer for the Hedgehog Preservation Trust), and we are now looking to provide a home for a Husky that has not had the best start in life - here's hoping!