Need advice please

Stranger

Morning all...

Ive never shown my artwork to people before other than close friends and family but him indoors wont give me advice as he think its fine and doesnt need any work

I know something isnt quite right with this paint, but not sure what.

Now this is the first oil painting i have ever done so been a learning curve as i normally do pencil work.

Please let me know what it is that isnt quite right cause i keep changing it and it doesnt fix it.

Cheers

Toni :)

2012-04-25070152-1.jpg

Morning all...

Ive never shown my artwork to people before other than close friends and family but him indoors wont give me advice as he think its fine and doesnt need any work

I know something isnt quite right with this paint, but not sure what.

Now this is the first oil painting i have ever done so been a learning curve as i normally do pencil work.

Please let me know what it is that isnt quite right cause i keep changing it and it doesnt fix it.

Cheers

Toni :)

2012-04-25070152-1.jpg

its a bit too, um shaped. lol

needs to be more furry looking?

I would not have guessed this was your first time using oils. VERY good job.

Oils are a pain in the proverbial to work with I prefer Acrylics.

You can still get that "thick paint" look but they are much more flexible (and don't take as long to dry).

Anywhoo onto your problem.

I'm not bothered that the fur doesn't look "rough" that could simply be "your style"

Two things I have picked up on though,

1. The top part of the head looks as if it is "full face on", including the placement of eyes and ears.

However the muzzle is almost in a three quarters forward position and so the pic looks sort of offset.

2. The background is too dark and the "lighting" of the Shepherd isn't in tone with the background.

So it appears as if it is "floating" over the background and not part of the same scene.

If this were a photo you would expect the shepherd to have a more "green" tone to the highlights.

or the background would have more "golden" tones to it.

If the background were say a bush then just small highlights as if the sun were catching the edges of the leaves might bring the two parts together.

Sometimes flipping the image helps you to see that thing are "out of perspective"

I've flipped your pic .

post-11633-0-22940100-1400500517_thumb.j

hope this helps. :)

post-1354-13586035508064_thumb.jpg

I would not have guessed this was your first time using oils. VERY good job.

Oils are a pain in the proverbial to work with I prefer Acrylics.

You can still get that "thick paint" look but they are much more flexible (and don't take as long to dry).

Anywhoo onto your problem.

I'm not bothered that the fur doesn't look "rough" that could simply be "your style"

Two things I have picked up on though,

1. The top part of the head looks as if it is "full face on", including the placement of eyes and ears.

However the muzzle is almost in a three quarters forward position and so the pic looks sort of offset. - hadnt noticed that lol, but yeah i can see it now :)

2. The background is too dark and the "lighting" of the Shepherd isn't in tone with the background.

So it appears as if it is "floating" over the background and not part of the same scene.

If this were a photo you would expect the shepherd to have a more "green" tone to the highlights.

or the background would have more "golden" tones to it.

If the background were say a bush then just small highlights as if the sun were catching the edges of the leaves might bring the two parts together.

ill try adding to the background, the photo i was paint from wasnt very good, it had a busy background, people and a house :) backgarden shot.

hope this helps. :)

i have acrylics, but havent really used them yet.

I am of two minds to put this one asside for the time being, ive been over and over it, i am worried ill do more damage than good :) and come back to it later, ill see how i feel this weekend. i will however do what you said and try and merge the background with the picture :)

OK looking at it again another thing that throws the image off and this ties in with parts of the image looking front on and offset

There is too much fur on the left hand side, if the muzzle perspective is correct then you wouldn't see so much .

I've sort of trimmed the image to show you what I mean. (Sorry if I'm taking liberties with your image) :P

Original

2012-04-25070152-1.jpg

adjusted

post-7184-0-96998900-1400887211_thumb.jp

The proportions feel a little more. . . right and the muzzle isn't so out of place.

post-1354-13586035951278_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...