Another sad news story

Liz Jones

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah that happend here in ireland read it in the paper yesterday, the thing that annoys me is husky's will be frowned upon by people who read this story, they say it was at a 21st party so maybe everyone screaming or loud noises, you just never know

Articles like this annoy me, because they clearly paint the dog as being a villain. What happened to news companies that were unbiased!?

I'm not saying that the girl was asking for it, but maybe the dog was already agitated from the party (loud noises, unfamiliar sights and sounds, etc) and ontop with its high prey drive, it attacked. It might have also been poorly socialized, if at all, with children.

They don't know the dog was provoked unintentionally.

Nevertheless, this will result in the whole 'huskies are evil. Let's kill them all and ban them from countries.' thing again.

Articles like this annoy me, because they clearly paint the dog as being a villain. What happened to news companies that were unbiased!?

I'm not saying that the girl was asking for it, but maybe the dog was already agitated from the party (loud noises, unfamiliar sights and sounds, etc) and ontop with its high prey drive, it attacked. It might have also been poorly socialized, if at all, with children.

They don't know the dog was provoked unintentionally.

Nevertheless, this will result in the whole 'huskies are evil. Let's kill them all and ban them from countries.' thing again.

my point exatly, in the paper over here it didnt have much about the dog either just that when the dog warden went to pick the dog up he was very vicious but the next day he seemed a calm dog, anyways the dog is put down now.. maybe it should be mandatory if you have kids living or around you to have them trained around kids, it can't always be the dogs fault!

But that would not be a good story...it is sad and all that this has happened...but saying that people could have made a mistake is not a story...so it is the dog's fault...

I just can't believe a husky (if mine is anything like typical of her breed) is capable of something like this. Having said that I am always over cautious with dogs and small kids.

Got to agree with you there Angela.. although you should never trust any dog with small children or other pets.. My girls would never harm anyone and it just doesn't even seem in their nature... although if your in vet clothes then watch out for Indi!!

this story is awful, i am a mother so can relate to what the parents are going through, i feel so sorry for both the child and the husky, Wish to god the newspapers would give more info on the circumstances surrounding it though, Kaiser is right it cant always be the dogs fault, i dont know much about huskies, but i am convinced it is not in their breed to attack without provocation (of course you will get your rogues as with every breed)

What annoys me even more, is if it was a child attacking a dog nothing would be done.

this story is awful, i am a mother so can relate to what the parents are going through, i feel so sorry for both the child and the husky, Wish to god the newspapers would give more info on the circumstances surrounding it though, Kaiser is right it cant always be the dogs fault, i dont know much about huskies, but i am convinced it is not in their breed to attack without provocation (of course you will get your rogues as with every breed)

What annoys me even more, is if it was a child attacking a dog nothing would be done.

great point!!

"The siberian husky was destroyed yesturday"....am I the only one who wants to go and give the writer of this article a peice of my mind, Yes it's awful what happened, but you can guarentee SO many people are going to be all like "oh don't go near them dogs" each time they see a husky now, people are going to get the wrong end of the stick, but i'm sorry i don't agree with the wording of "the husky was destroyed yesturday"

"The siberian husky was destroyed yesturday"....am I the only one who wants to go and give the writer of this article a peice of my mind, Yes it's awful what happened, but you can guarentee SO many people are going to be all like "oh don't go near them dogs" each time they see a husky now, people are going to get the wrong end of the stick, but i'm sorry i don't agree with the wording of "the husky was destroyed yesturday"

yeah it seems a bit downgrading alright, as if it wasn't a f**king living animal!! it has feelings, emotions and its breathing, not a car going to a scrap yard!

I've been hearing about this from everyone that passes me with my two beauties the last few days. I hadn't read it in the papers (maybe cos I don't read the paper :P) They all have the same frown and grave look on their faces and I have replied with "It could be any dog at any time and any child in any town, we don't know what happened and all we can do is hope the little girl is ok and be very sad for the dog and their owners" Fe*k off in other words and stop looking at me like my two munchkins are gonna eat you!! ;)

the thing is ALL dogs have the potential to seriously harm a human (child or adult) whether its husky, staffy, rotty, gsd even a yorkshire terrier can cause some damage, this is what so many people forget, do people judge others for having say a staff or lab or collie? its silly how people tarnish a whole breed

I've been hearing about this from everyone that passes me with my two beauties the last few days. I hadn't read it in the papers (maybe cos I don't read the paper :P) They all have the same frown and grave look on their faces and I have replied with "It could be any dog at any time and any child in any town, we don't know what happened and all we can do is hope the little girl is ok and be very sad for the dog and their owners" Fe*k off in other words and stop looking at me like my two munchkins are gonna eat you!! ;)

irish people can be cabbage's sometimes alright! :)

Small yappy dogs are more aggressive, unpredictable and cause more damage over all than big dogs. But because they're small they get away with it.

It doesn't make the news if a small dog bites a child because although the parent isn't happy, it's just a little thing and didn't mean it, but if that little thing had had a big mouth it could have had a child's hand off.

My youngest daughter has a scar on her face were she got bitten by a yorkie when she was 3. She was under supervision and had permission from the owner and she was used to stroking cats. The dog accepted the first touch then decided it'd had enough and turned an bit her face. We were 4 days into a 3 week holiday in Canada and the dog belonged to some Americans we befriended. There was no warning, it just turned an bit. I'm as bad because I just accepted it was a small dog therefore not out of character.

It's just so frustrating the bad press Husky's are receiving at the moment. Because unfortunately mud sticks whether it's right or wrong.

this is ridiculous!

ok im sorry for the child of course I am and im glad shes ok.

BUT the dog could never have been round kids, was it the dogs home? if so it could have been being territorial.

if not in a strange place?

uncomfortable?

un happy?

and now its dead.

another notch on the bedpost of moron owners.

although if your in vet clothes then watch out for Indi!!

Haha, this is so true of Aya as well, she won't willingly go inside the vet clinic no more, I have to literally carry her in. It's probably because every time she is at the vet she gets a shot. My veterinarian is a young girl and adores Aya but is completely gutted that Aya doesn't like her. Every time she touches Aya, Aya backs off immediately. But the story is utter garbage, a couple of stories do not define an entire population. There should be a law that states you cannot discriminate across species, not just people.

So very, very sad for both human and husky.

I would like to add that the best way to combat these kinds of articles (biased against the breed) is to contact the newspaper and offer to allow the reporter to interact with your husky and to present accurate information on the breed. As an editor/reporter of a small newspaper, if I was given that opportunity, I think I would be inclined to learn more about the breed and do a follow-up story.

As an owner of the breed, I feel it is our responsibility to present them in their light as we see it - more importantly to present true and accurate information (meaning we cannot ignore their prey drives, rough play and what that means and how it can be misconstrued). We simply cannot stand back and watch as this breed becomes the next to face breed specific legislation. We can sit on here and whine about how our breed is being presented in the media, or we can get off our behinds and do what we can to battle it.

If we chose to not address it, be assured that the husky will be one of the next on the list to be banned or at a minimum, be seen as a breed to be wary of. We can talk until we're blue in the face about how wrong this is, but if we don't stand up and assist in clearing the breed from this media attention, we are just as much to blame as the reporter.