An absolutely crazy idea...?

Sakutama

I was thinking today...

There are SO many Huskies in the USA who need homes, sometimes I look at them on Pet Finder. Many of them are just amazing and so beautiful. I wish I could adopt one of them (when we can adopt) but...being in Japan is a problem.

But I wonder...

If the right shelter or group were to come along, and they had just the right dog for me, and hopefully some experience with exporting dogs if I am lucky, IS is possible to adopt from the USA? Can I even afford to get past the red tape?

From my research so far, it would involve the Husky being quarantined for 6 months in his/her home country. I am not sure if quarantine means a cold, boring facility or just a registered or qualified kennel/shelter though (I would only consider the latter of course). But from my understanding, if the paperwork proves the dog has been properly immunized for all the basics, and it can be proved the dog has no rabies by going through a 6 month "quarantine" then as long as the paperwork is fine, once the dog arrives in Tokyo, it's just 12 hours before he/she is free to go home! But I have also heard that one small mistake means 6 months of quarantine in Japan. Even something as small as not putting a USDA raised seal on every document page. :confused:

I have also heard of a sort of "Pet Passport" system, where you have the dog tested for rabies 6 months before the planned travel date. Then, just before travel, to have the dog re-tested. If the test is negative, then your good to go without the terrible quarantine facility. I am not sure if this is recognized in Japan though.

I'm not sure if I am looking at this realistically, but wouldn't it be fantastic to rescue a Husky from my home country? I've been asking around about Huskies in the Japanese shelters, but I am being told they are somewhat rare. I guess it makes sense, sense the little dogs are more common. I think more Huskies, sadly, are captured by the local health department thingie and put down (all pets captured by the HD are kept a week and then put down automatically :().

So what do you guys think? Completely nutty idea or maybe...something to look into? Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

I have helped a friend of mine export his Akita over to Beijing. Below are the links to export from the US to international country and another link for Japan

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulations/vs/iregs/animals/

http://www.maff.go.jp/aqs/english/animal/dog/import-other.html

After reading the AQS it is possible to provide all proper documentation in advancement and limit the quarantine to just 12 hours in that facility making it effective a full 24hour from source export to your heart :) rather than waiting an additional 180 days. So it is possible just a bit hard.

Hey Jack! Thank you so much!!! :D

I have oogles of time so I don't see why I couldn't at least look into it. On one website I checked a person said it cost them about $1000 to bring one dog into Japan including the flight, shots, paperwork, etc. Buying a pure bred puppy costs more then that here! :confused:

Did you have to hire someone to help you through the red tape, or was it just a matter of going through a checklist of steps in what order they need to be done, and to not miss a detail? For example, I read the micro chip needs to come before the rabies shot. I wonder if there is a Husky rescue in the USA somewhere who would be willing to help me? I likely won't have anyone I know in the USA (family or friend) able to help me. Maybe I should wait a little longer before I make inquiries with different groups sense I have years before it can happen, but at least I have an idea of how much money to save up in the mean time

Only part that scares me is if there is one mistake in the paperwork, I might be forced to have the Husky quarantined upon arrival in Japan and I am assuming that is expensive. :confused: I hope I am not getting into something I can't handle with this idea, but it seems so worth it to rescue from the USA if I can just get through this import/export stuff. I mean, to have a rescue group match me with my perfect dog who also happens to really need a home...to me that is just beautiful. :D

As a side note, there could be a Husky rescue in Japan but I honestly have not seen nor heard of one, and neither has the ARK group, which to my knowledge is the biggest and leading group for rescuing pets in Japan. They are kind of the pioneers for that sort of thing here. I think Japan just has a lot of growing to do when it comes to pet rescues. :rolleyes:

Yea I saw the pictures they used it was kinda funny, but to answer your question is that I contacted a husky rescue in Taiwan regarding international travel they gave me a lot of information as to how procedure and what paperwork to file. Also as a act of redundancy I contacted 3 additional rescue groups that does transports between states and international travel to verify paperwork procedure here in the US.

However if you do decided to go through this route I can lent a hand in supplementing information of what I have or do a little more digging for information.

Just let me know which states you are thinking of adopting from I am most familiar for California. Either way let me know what you think.

Not sure if one of the "major" husky rescues here would adopt a dog to you overseas, mainly because they would have difficulty doing a home-check. Most of the more reputable rescue groups are pretty stringent about whom they adopt to, having quite a few hoops people have to jump through. This is, in their defense, to help assure that the dogs are going to suitable homes and that people both know what to expect from a husky - and are actually prepared! You might do better to find one of the larger Siberian kennels and see if they have any retired dogs they're looking to place, and would be willing to ship... Good luck, regardless!

all I can say is: be very careful in dealing with international "transaction". You are going to talk to people you never met, talking about a dog you never see and plus, paying for it. Be extra careful, I know it sounds harsh but you shouldn't trust anyone that much =\ in fact, Evyn, is it possible for you to fly to the US and search for your perfect dog "manually" rather than using Petfinder? It's a lot safer that way. Plus, you won't need to tell the shelter's staff that they have to deal with a long, complicated procedure to send the dog to your home. You can fill in the adoption application first, bring the dog home, spend few days with it in the US and then prepare for all the hard work to transport him/her to Tokyo :)

Yea I saw the pictures they used it was kinda funny, but to answer your question is that I contacted a husky rescue in Taiwan regarding international travel they gave me a lot of information as to how procedure and what paperwork to file. Also as a act of redundancy I contacted 3 additional rescue groups that does transports between states and international travel to verify paperwork procedure here in the US.

However if you do decided to go through this route I can lent a hand in supplementing information of what I have or do a little more digging for information.

Just let me know which states you are thinking of adopting from I am most familiar for California. Either way let me know what you think.

I'll definitely be in touch closer to the time, I really appreciate it! It's good I have a lot of time to think it over. I'm so glad to know someone at least familiar with it! I am not sure I could consider it as much as I am now if I didn't know someone who at least has a clue about it. It helps to have someone point you in the right direction with these sort of things!

all I can say is: be very careful in dealing with international "transaction". You are going to talk to people you never met, talking about a dog you never see and plus, paying for it. Be extra careful, I know it sounds harsh but you shouldn't trust anyone that much =\ in fact, Evyn, is it possible for you to fly to the US and search for your perfect dog "manually" rather than using Petfinder? It's a lot safer that way. Plus, you won't need to tell the shelter's staff that they have to deal with a long, complicated procedure to send the dog to your home. You can fill in the adoption application first, bring the dog home, spend few days with it in the US and then prepare for all the hard work to transport him/her to Tokyo :)

I understand what you mean. :) Maybe in the future we will be able to fly there in person, but even if we did, we wouldn't be able to pass a "home visit" because we would be going back home to Japan. I wouldn't want to lie to anyone either, and besides i'm sure they do follow up visits. :confused: The other problem would be if I have any willing family members or friends in the USA to help me house the Husky until we could go back to Japan. I guess we will know closer to the time.

Not sure if one of the "major" husky rescues here would adopt a dog to you overseas, mainly because they would have difficulty doing a home-check. Most of the more reputable rescue groups are pretty stringent about whom they adopt to, having quite a few hoops people have to jump through. This is, in their defense, to help assure that the dogs are going to suitable homes and that people both know what to expect from a husky - and are actually prepared! You might do better to find one of the larger Siberian kennels and see if they have any retired dogs they're looking to place, and would be willing to ship... Good luck, regardless!

Actually that's a good point. Unless they are fine with a video tour, that could be one loop I can't jump for some rescues. But you know, adopting a retired dog from a kennel/breeder is also a great idea. If they ever ship their puppies overseas as I am sure some breeders do, they would at least know the process and could offer some reassurance maybe. And I am sure if they are a reputable breeder, their dogs would be very healthy too. It's not quite the same as rescuing from a shelter, but in a way it's still a dog who needs a home, right?

Actually that's a good point. Unless they are fine with a video tour, that could be one loop I can't jump for some rescues. But you know, adopting a retired dog from a kennel/breeder is also a great idea. If they ever ship their puppies overseas as I am sure some breeders do, they would at least know the process and could offer some reassurance maybe. And I am sure if they are a reputable breeder, their dogs would be very healthy too. It's not quite the same as rescuing from a shelter, but in a way it's still a dog who needs a home, right?

Right :up: best of luck ;)

Well to address some of the concerns above:

As for the home visits, some of the rescue group I had talked to will accept a video tour while others can be more strict can request a floor plan of your current living place along with a video tour to verify.

As for the verification of what your adopting many on this forum are located here in the US and if you adopt a rescue that is close to where they live it is possible to ask them to verify appearance, personality, and any other concerns. Then either sent a live feed video or just a recording.

Lastly, I think this is a bit hard asking someone to watch over your new pup while you head back. All these obstacles are not impossible just hard.

Either way best of luck to you on your search.