playing in waterbowl

LittleLuka

Luka will NOT stop digging/playing in his waterbowl !!!! If he doesn't have his face in it throwing water everywhere, he has his paws in it digging like crazy. I feel like this is a bad habit I should nip in the bud. I'm still not exactly sure how to discourage this behavior. It's extremely hard to say No in a serious matter since after he does it he runs like a maniac and slides everywhere because his paws are soaked. :rolleyes: Any tips?

Also how long did it take most of you to potty train your pup? He's only 7 weeks and i feel like we've made great progress in the past few days but I want to make sure we're right on schedule of things. :)

With the indoor bowl, interrupt him if he starts digging, a loud NO should be enough. And in any case, if he splashes all the water in the bowl, don't replace it right away, so that he realizes that if he digs in his bowl, he is going to have no water for some time!

Or another thing you can do, since he starts running like crazy, is to say no, then pick up the bowl and carry it to another room, closing the door after you (you can come out after a couple of minutes). If Luka realizes that when he does that, you will ignore him and take away his "toy" he is more likely to stop.

I was told they dig in the water to cool themselves, the water cools the blood running through their pads.

Apparently Sled Dogs have extra blood vessels in their feet to keep them warm when running on snow & ice and they also utilise these for cooling.

We bought a hard plastic paddling pool and leave a few inches of water in it out in the garden for her to dig away happily.