Dad wires autistic son to record school bullying... by teachers

persephona

Just read this on Yahoo.

http://shine.yahoo.com/team-mom/stuart-chaifetz-secretly-tapes-autistic-son-school-discovers-220500111.html

When his 10-year-old son, Akian, started getting into trouble at school, Stuart Chaifetz was stunned. The notes from Horace Mann Elementary School in Cherry Hill, N.J., said that Akian, who has autism, was having violent outbursts and hitting his teacher and his aide -- behavior that the boy had never exhibited before.

"The morning of February 17, I put a wire on my son, and I sent him to school," Chaifetz says in a video he created to showcase the audio clips. "What I heard on that audio was so disgusting, vile, and just an absolute disrespect and bullying of my son, that happened not by other children, but by his teacher, and the aides -- the people who were supposed to protect him. They were literally making my son's life a living hell."

Now, the question that comes to mind is why would you want to work with kids with special needs if you have no patience at all with them? And why would you be deliberately mean to them?

I would expect children to bully other children; I disagree with that, but that's how children are. But teachers - what kind of person do you have to be to derive any pleasure from being mean to a helpless child?

And finally.... I found another link about a similar story http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2136779/Kelly-Altenburg-Teacher-FINALLY-placed-leave-dad-wires-autistic-son-record-school-bullying.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Yeah I saw this a few days ago...ideally the classrooms would be monitored on CCTV...however I know that in the states that's generally a violation of the rights of the person served, and so you have to get special permission to get an exception to the rule from the state to do so.

Ugh.

I work in Autism behavioral therapy. Every session I have with my client are recorded and can be viewed by the parents or my supervisor. Working with Autistic children is very challenging and tiring, it's a lot of effort on your part. You know right away if it's something you can hack or not.

Truthfully these schools don't do much for these kids because they need such personal and individual direction... It seems like this is a regular public school with a separate class for Autistic children or children with learning disabilities. If I had an autistic child i'd send them to a private school where class size is contained as well as place them in an after school one-on-one behavioral therapy. It's a real shame. Because these teachers don't know how much work they're ruining with these kids.

Poor child :( glad this story made it to the newspaper/net tho! NOW those teachers would start behaving better. They might learn it the hard way tho... the news clearly state the school's name and sure enough people would start avoiding this school right away. I can almost say they're stuck between losing their jobs as a teacher or publicly apologize to Akian's family

This is the second or third such story I have read in the news in the last week regarding the exposure of the treatment of autistic children. What is going on with some folk these days?! Such terrible treatment has also been highlighted in the press about eldery people in care homes in the UK.

I'm originally from New Jersey- and my sister is an 8th grade teacher in Jersey, and not only is this sickening, and comepletely heartless- New Jersey is one of the few states that actually has an ANTI- BULLYING LAW that allows legal actions to occur. Not only should this lady lose her job, but she should made an example out of. If you do not have the patience to work with kids with special needs you need to realize that, be mature, and step down. Not chastise and demeanor them. Sad.