How to get Husky fur growing back properly

Astaerelle

Hi, its been a while since I posted and I have a bit of a Q to ask.

A couple of months ago my husky was pulled through the fence and nearly mauled to death by the neighbour's dogs. He underwent surgery for extensive wounds and had to have parts of his coat shaved off so they could examine and operate on him properly. Two months down the recovery road and it looks like his fur is starting to grow back a bit, but he seems to have a lot of scarring. The scarring seems to be slowly going away but I'm getting very worried about it. At the moment I'm putting vitamin E cream on the scarring to try and help it go away. Is there anything else I can try to minimalise the scarring?

Also, as I said his fur is only really just starting to grow back, however its seeming to be a really odd process. I have no experience with shaved huskies before so wanting some advice. It looks like his fluffy undercoat is coming through first but it is dull, not as soft, and feels a bit like straw, and very hard to keep clean. I gave him a bath today the first time since the incident and I brush him at least 4 times a week (he takes a long time to brush, so its hard for me to find time to do it every day as much as I like to). Is there anything else I can possibly do to encourage his fur to grow back properly and quickly?

Oh and just to mention, I feed him by the "raw and meaty bones" model, and I usually add a bit of fish oil to his dinners.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

So sorry to hear about your poor husky :( I have no experience with this, but I think you are doing the right thing. Adding the fish oil to his meals is great - is it an Omega 3 fish oil? From what I have read, the first time his coat comes out it does seem different to what it was prior to being shaved, but once he has blown his coat again, you will see a marked improvement. I am not sure about the scarring though, but am sure someone will have better advice for you.

Hope he hasn't had any long-term effects from the attack - poor boy.

Hi, its been a while since I posted and I have a bit of a Q to ask.

A couple of months ago my husky was pulled through the fence and nearly mauled to death by the neighbour's dogs. He underwent surgery for extensive wounds and had to have parts of his coat shaved off so they could examine and operate on him properly. Two months down the recovery road and it looks like his fur is starting to grow back a bit, but he seems to have a lot of scarring. The scarring seems to be slowly going away but I'm getting very worried about it. At the moment I'm putting vitamin E cream on the scarring to try and help it go away. Is there anything else I can try to minimalise the scarring?

Also, as I said his fur is only really just starting to grow back, however its seeming to be a really odd process. I have no experience with shaved huskies before so wanting some advice. It looks like his fluffy undercoat is coming through first but it is dull, not as soft, and feels a bit like straw, and very hard to keep clean. I gave him a bath today the first time since the incident and I brush him at least 4 times a week (he takes a long time to brush, so its hard for me to find time to do it every day as much as I like to). Is there anything else I can possibly do to encourage his fur to grow back properly and quickly?

Oh and just to mention, I feed him by the "raw and meaty bones" model, and I usually add a bit of fish oil to his dinners.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi, regarding the growing back of his coat, it should come back properly when he blows it. My elder female Safi had her entire belly shaved last september and it's only really come back once she blew her coat in feb she was as bald as a coot for most of the winter. Even now there is still a slight difference in depth of the guard hairs. Like a step in her coat under her belly. As for scaring, the only experience I have of that is when Safi attacked Peppa in the face and she needed about 9 stitches. I was concerned there would be scaring left but in this instance it was fine. I'm not sure of the damage done to your husky so really can't assure you there won't be any at all. But on the bright side, these dogs haves such thick coats with luck even if there are a few gaps they won't be that noticeable to anyone but yourself.

A raw diet, vitamin e cream, and omega 3 fish oils are a good base work for regrowing a coat. Odin was shaved down when I got him and we have been working on growing it back for these past 18 months or so. How old is your pup?

You can also try coconut oil on the skin/coat as well as orally. Brushing will help stimulate the hair folicules so it's good to brush as often as you can. I'm sure there will be some scarring, can't help that. But to minimize it you're doing all the right things.