Red husky calmer????

calvinandmommy

Ok a girl that I know wants a husky. A little background on her.....she has two kids from two different guys and she can't stay put for very long she is always moving. Well she said on facebook that she wants a husky. I told her that they are very high maintenance and that if she really wants one she should rescue one. Well a friend of hers came on and said that red ones are calmer then black ones. I have never heard of this. I told her that doesn't really matter and she came back that she grew up around Malamutes and her red female was very well behaved compared to a black one.

So two questions....

Are red huskies/malamutes calmer then black ones?

Aren't huskies completely different from malamutes?

I've never thought about either of these questions so if I am wrong somebody please correct me. But I really hope I am not I hate being wrong when it comes to talking to dumb girls from my high school lol.

I haven't heard of anything like that before- It depends on the dog! If a BYB breeded red huskies/malamutes and didn't properly raise them, compared to a reputable breeder breeding black/gray huskies/malamutes raised with their mom with correct temperament...then I'd say it's opposite.....So it's really all about how they are bred and raised imo

post-11870-0-05085800-1402241470.jpg

ummmm no... LOL!

na seriously my red girl was a complete fruitcake until the last month or so (she's 18 months), she drove me bonkers, couldnt settle down or chill, she had to be running about or playing or chewing something she shouldnt, from the time she got up to the time she went to bed. On walk she span in circles and howled if we werent moving fast enough...

complete nutjob lol

post-685-13586037550666_thumb.jpg

It's not totally impossible for something like this to be true, but to establish whether it's true or not you'd need to know someone who has been around a variety of different coloured, pure-bred huskies for a long time and has met enough of them to be able to make a significant comparison. I know from my involvement with the mouse fancy that genes that code for certain colours can go hand-in-hand with genes that code for certain behaviours. For example pink-eyed-whites are docile and lazy little things, while any variety of dutch are nuts! But individual differences do also need to be taken into account, so if it does turn out that reds are known to be calmer, that doesn't mean that every person who owns a red husky owns a calm dog.

Huskies and malamutes are very different, behaviour wise, yes.

Well the girl who I said wants a husky is getting one. She called a "breeder" in Dallas (she lives 2 hours from there) and is going tomorrow to pick her up. That to me sends red flags up. I have never heard of a breeder that you can call and the very next day go get your puppy. Makes me think this breeder is just starting out or is a backyard breeder. I just hope the puppy is taken care of....doubt it though. I have a feeling she will get out and get shot.

Upside though.....I am trying to get the girl to join the forum so she can at least be some what informed....and I am trying to give her as much info as possible without sounding like a know it all.

Well the girl who I said wants a husky is getting one. She called a "breeder" in Dallas (she lives 2 hours from there) and is going tomorrow to pick her up. That to me sends red flags up. I have never heard of a breeder that you can call and the very next day go get your puppy. Makes me think this breeder is just starting out or is a backyard breeder. I just hope the puppy is taken care of....doubt it though. I have a feeling she will get out and get shot.

Upside though.....I am trying to get the girl to join the forum so she can at least be some what informed....and I am trying to give her as much info as possible without sounding like a know it all.

Know the breeder's name by chance?

:doglaugh:Red ones are calmer than black ones:doglaugh: sorry couldn't resist ... boy she needs to come and spend some time in my house then :D

Sounds like the breeder is just in it for money ... and nothing else with no home checks or understanding what they are taking on ;(

:doglaugh:Red ones are calmer than black ones:doglaugh: sorry couldn't resist ... boy she needs to come and spend some time in my house then :D

Sounds like the breeder is just in it for money ... and nothing else with no home checks or understanding what they are taking on ;(

I refer back to conversation we had last Tuesday evening Liz lol..

Erm.. We both concluded Reds are nutters :/

Well let me tell you my red girl was a complete hellion compared to my black and white boy! She sure showed him a thing or two about being a 'true' husky! But honestly it's more about the individual personality and the socialization in their formidable stages of life than what color they were born....Yes Malamutes are very different than Siberians, outside of the fact they are both coated working breeds...Tell your friend to do some research on the breeds to really understand.

Glala and Dana are both fairly laid back actually. They can both have their 5-minutes of hyperness once in a while but that's really it actually. Sometimes I have to pull them to keep going on our walks :rolleyes: They are quite exited with meeting and playing with other dogs though, but still not in a 'wow, they're nuts'-kind of way.