Food Questions

LittleLuka

okay, okay, so i know there are about a million threads relating to feeding but i'm still totally lost. i'm a first time husky owner and my last dog was a lab (he ate a TON!) so please help me out. :)

Luka is 7 weeks basically and weighs 8.4 lbs.

I've been feeding him three times a day and obviously i was overfeeding him at first. I could tell because his stools were very runny. I've been decreasing the amount I feed him and now they are very firm. My worry is that now i'm not feeding him enough. I know he will scarf down his food no matter what but that's what makes it SO HARD!!

Also, he has horrible gas which i see can be related to overfeeding. I should also probably mention that unfortunately he is on Purina puppy chow (breeder had him on it) and I was letting him get settled in before i switched his food. I know this is going to throw his digestive system out of wack so i really want to make sure i'm feeding him the right amount when i start mixing it tomorrow.

Thanks again for everyones advice! yall have been so helpful. my boyfriend also finds it hilarious that i spout off random husky knowledge simply because of this forum. haha

Gibson was raised with food available all the time, and is by nature a fussy eater. But if your dog doesn't regulate his own eating, what Sarah posted is the general consensus. From research and my experience with puppies and vets, that's the average. 4 time a day - 3 meals and then when he is a "teenager", I've heard to get him on a 2 meals/day.

Once again, Gibson doesn't need much food management so I don't have any first hand experience with a huskies feeding schedule.

Also, with mixing foods expect some runny stool as his body gets used to it. And I wouldn't worry too much about overfeeding with 3 meals unless he eats them all and they are huge meals. One thing to consider, is stress can make a dog want to defecate more frequently, resulting in softer stools. This happens often in new environments, and is not only associated with negative stress, but also stress from excitement. (Distress vs Eustress)