Snow nose a problem?

NanookNimbi

We have 2 CKC Reg. Siberian Huskies. Full siblings, from the same breeder. Both, have snow nose. Our breeder has recently mentioned that she is very concerned that there is something wrong with the dogs internally. Has anyone else heard that a snow nose could mean this? I've attached a picture of our dogs so you can see their noses.

[ATTACH]48664[/ATTACH]

post-7621-13586037656686_thumb.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Snow nose is very common in dogs specially when it gets colder due 2 lack ov sunlight my boy has a light snow nose , other breeds can Get it too

It doesn't sound like ur breeder is very knowledgeable :-S

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

ETA: heres a pic of my boy n his snow nose

its not as noticeable as some but it is VERY common in huskies :)

578007_10150696211931681_714381680_9713206_1993519180_n.jpg

I agree with Nix on all points.....

Both Bindi's and Alpha's have now gone since they have had a few days in the sun..

Nothing to worry about...

We have 2 CKC Reg. Siberian Huskies. Full siblings, from the same breeder. Both, have snow nose. Our breeder has recently mentioned that she is very concerned that there is something wrong with the dogs internally. Has anyone else heard that a snow nose could mean this? I've attached a picture of our dogs so you can see their noses.

[ATTACH]48664[/ATTACH]

as far as i know its not a problem ...marley and his husky friends noses get pink patches and then they go back to black ...and there allin good health (thankfully)...:)

if your breeder said she is very concerned something is wrong with them, take them to the vets. And no, I don't think snow nose is related. In fact, as how I read it in your first post above, I don't think your breeder would blame the snow nose either.

I think you need to go back to your breeder and get her to tell you what she believes is wrong with your dogs. I feel it is wrong to just make a statement like that without explictly stating what is wrong as it is leaving you in limbo with concerns.

Agree with everyone...ask the breeder what's wrong? And if she is willing to sell you a deficient dog, then by all means, she should discount the price. Then send her the vet bill when you get a clean bill of health, and a statement that the snow nose is normal! Look at any number of puppy litters. Many are born that way, and then like Jack, they develop over the years!

Jack's nose, and this year it's even pinker!post-11953-14025836578294_thumb.jpg

Andy close up....his nose and freckles on his mouth...and he has freckles inside his mouth!post-11953-14025836685154_thumb.jpg

Freckle mouth...post-11953-14025846782828_thumb.jpg

post-2509-13586037708101_thumb.jpg

post-2509-13586037709297_thumb.jpg

post-2509-13586037709904_thumb.jpg

Brieanna, welcome to the forum. I would not worry about the snow nose issue. It is very common and on some dogs, it comes and goes. I would, however, get in touch with the breeder of your dogs, and find out what she meant by "something wrong with the dogs internally". Good luck and please keep us posted on what you find out.

Nanci, how on earth do you get those babies of yours to lay still while you take such close-up shots of their snouts?

Togo had an all black nose until he blew his first coat, since then it's been a very obvious snow nose, both Peppa and Safi who both have liver coloured noses have the snow variation

As a matter of interest. When Safi was at her most ill. Her nose went very dark and her snow nose disappeared completely. Since she's got better, her snow nose has reappeared. I'm assuming because her liver wasn't working and her blood wasn't being cleaned it darkened her nose, now her liver is working again her nose is a healthy colour :)

Brieanna, welcome to the forum. I would not worry about the snow nose issue. It is very common and on some dogs, it comes and goes. I would, however, get in touch with the breeder of your dogs, and find out what she meant by "something wrong with the dogs internally". Good luck and please keep us posted on what you find out.

Nanci, how on earth do you get those babies of yours to lay still while you take such close-up shots of their snouts?

They were no doubt very sound asleep, or I sat and waited long enough for them to be falling asleep!

Marius has a permanent snow nose he is perfectly healthy and there is no problem with it. If they haven't had it since they were little and it suddenly appears out of season it could be because of a lack of pigment in the nose and using something like kelp helps. I was also told that changing their bowls from plastic to metal are supposed to help? but Ive also been told this is an old wives tale. I don't know what breeder you got them from but it sounds like she should be more specific. If they are happy and running around same as ever chances are they are healthy :P

You can see hes had it since he was little ^.^

226657_10150177674172260_516947259_7323477_7143818_n.jpg252989_10150204283422260_516947259_7576501_7987332_n.jpg

397197_10150478410737260_516947259_9141324_553339715_n.jpg

[ATTACH]48664[/ATTACH]

There has recently come to light that not necessarily the common snow nose, but snow nose in conjunction with lack of pigment of the lips and paws (commonly seen as the lines are going more and more dilute) are starting to see a disease called HAIR FOLLICLE DYSTROPHY. These dogs end up losing all of their coat, guard hair included, some studies have shown spay/neuter of the affected animal has produced some success in hair regrowth.

before and after-

post-10391-0-24506700-1402631775_thumb.j

post-6615-13586037753252_thumb.jpg

post-6615-13586037753789_thumb.jpg

This year is actually the first time Raya has had 'snow nose'....you can barely see it and it's faded now. I was quite pleased when it came out!! :)

It comes and goes. It's very common in huskies. Part of their characteristics almost!

There has recently come to light that not necessarily the common snow nose, but snow nose in conjunction with lack of pigment of the lips and paws (commonly seen as the lines are going more and more dilute) are starting to see a disease called HAIR FOLLICLE DYSTROPHY. These dogs end up losing all of their coat, guard hair included, some studies have shown spay/neuter of the affected animal has produced some success in hair regrowth.

before and after-

[ATTACH=full]48743[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]48744[/ATTACH]

I have never heard of that being related before is there an article?

I also have had some breeders tell me that the permanent snow nose is not desirable they prefer dogs with all black noses or in reds and whites liver ofc.

I have never heard of that being related before is there an article?

I also have had some breeders tell me that the permanent snow nose is not desirable they prefer dogs with all black noses or in reds and whites liver ofc.

Yes permanent snow nose is not preferred as that is a pigmentation fault not a natural progression of seasonal changes. I will see if I can dig up the conversation on poor pigment contributing to HFD, like I said it's all really coming to light what it is and what's causing it. We need to bring color and pigment back into our breed before it's too late.

Yes permanent snow nose is not preferred as that is a pigmentation fault not a natural progression of seasonal changes. I will see if I can dig up the conversation on poor pigment contributing to HFD, like I said it's all really coming to light what it is and what's causing it. We need to bring color and pigment back into our breed before it's too late.

I like Marius' snow nose either way it gives him character. As long as I don't double up there shouldn't be a problem :P and I've been told that when I show him it wont be a HUGE problem haha. I would like to read that tho the vet side of things interests me

I like Marius' snow nose either way it gives him character. As long as I don't double up there shouldn't be a problem :P and I've been told that when I show him it wont be a HUGE problem haha. I would like to read that tho the vet side of things interests me

Snow nose and poor pigment/permanent pigment issues are very different. Many people confuse the two as they just don't know the difference.

This dog's nose always looks like this, no change between summer and winter. This is a loss of pigment not snow nose, you can see the problem extends into the lips a bit as well. This would be a problem in the ring, unlike true snow nose which is acceptable. I'd wonder if this dog doesn't have pink pads too. The loss of pigment is causing major issues within the breed as many are just starting to find. Sad really, which is why we need to get color and pigment back into the breed.

post-2303-0-03971800-1402680288_thumb.jp

post-6615-13586037800437_thumb.jpg

Snow nose and poor pigment/permanent pigment issues are very different. Many people confuse the two as they just don't know the difference.

This dog's nose always looks like this, no change between summer and winter. This is a loss of pigment not snow nose, you can see the problem extends into the lips a bit as well. This would be a problem in the ring, unlike true snow nose which is acceptable. I'd wonder if this dog doesn't have pink pads too. The loss of pigment is causing major issues within the breed as many are just starting to find. Sad really, which is why we need to get color and pigment back into the breed.

[ATTACH=full]48775[/ATTACH]

Thanks for that info! How would they tell the difference between the two in the ring?

"Life's not about waiting on the storm to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain"

tapatalk_1335907378111.png

Thanks for that info! How would they tell the difference between the two in the ring?

"Life's not about waiting on the storm to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain"

tapatalk_1335907378111.png

That nose in the pic is obviously lacking in pigment, a snow nose usually isn't so pronounced and widespread. It really would be a judges decision, some AB judges will dump snow noses because they aren't aware it is an acceptable trait...that thankfully doesn't seem to happen very often. The real concern is not for the ring, it's for the health and overall well being of the breed. If pigment problems lead to things like HFD that is a real concern.