Dog tags

Stormy

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always have, and it has helped once when we had an Airedale Terrier, they are known for bolting and not coming back. A person about 22 miles from the home found her, and while she was trying to call us, she bolted again, unable to remember anything but the name she called the dog back by her name (Kelly). Without the name we may have never seen Kelly again! She was found at a location across from a major highway.

I'd never put the dog's name on it's tag. If she ever gets lost and someone finds her, or even if she's stolen, it makes it so much easier for them to keep her. That and I don't want strangers knowing her name because round here they're likely to call her over :rolleyes:

I only put useful things on the tag. To someone who has found the dog and intends to return it, the name is not necessary.

We don't. We just have my surname, address post code and mobile number. You're required to have the name and address of the owner on your dog when it's out in public. Phone number and post code are optional

That's according to the 1992 control of dogs order.

no, we just have phone numbers and they say ' I am chipped'

That's cool never would have thought of that. Mine has his name on it and my phone and post code I think.

No address for us. For some reason, I don't like the idea of having my address on a dog tag - the tag gets lost every few months, who knows who might find it. I wouldn't feel comfortable with having the address on a tag (regardless of the law).

We don't put his name on the tag either - I know that many people who would find a well kept husky would actually keep it, so no way would I make their life easier by putting his name on the tag. Besides, if he ever got lost, if we actually knew his name and he responded to it, it would definitely be proof that we are the actual owners, wouldn't it?

So we only put a contact name and a couple of phone numbers on the tag. I have pondered putting the postcode/city on there, just in case he ever gets lost out of the town, but not sure whether it's actually worth it. I think it's important to have at least two phone numbers, just in case one of them can't be reached.

Hmm... I've never thought about NOT putting their name on their tag. If someone truly wanted to keep instead of return a lost pet I don't imagine they'd care what the name was... they could just call it whatever they wanted. I AM curious though... what are the reasons for not putting it on there? I want to know now, lol :)

Hmm... I've never thought about NOT putting their name on their tag. If someone truly wanted to keep instead of return a lost pet I don't imagine they'd care what the name was... they could just call it whatever they wanted. I AM curious though... what are the reasons for not putting it on there? I want to know now, lol :)

we haven't bought Rua's yet so that's why I am particularly curious... I want to make sure I do it right :)

It's great to have something saying they're chipped, I've considered getting the extra tag that has it in red on a silver background to wear along with their normal tag. And as cool as it seems, people are missing the point.

As responsible dog owners, we are required by the 1992 Control Of Dogs Order to have a tag displaying the owners name and address when the dog is in a public place. Adding phone numbers and post codes are optional. People will probably now say tags can come off, or a dog which doesn't wear a collar in the home could escape without one leaving just the chip as identification, but thats a mute point as if that was the case the tag saying 'I'm chipped' wouldn't be on either.

So regardless of what we think about what we want to put on a tag, two things we should, are our name and address

If you have any doubts as to whether this is accurate check the Kennel Club website

That's kind of what I felt about this topic too, but I was more inclined to dismiss it as personal preference rather than be curious. Buuut since I see I am not the only one who's curiosity is piqued. I'd like to know as well what some personal reasons are.

Both of our dogs have names on front and our first and last name on the back with address and phone number. Also rabies tags that they wear have our vets address and number so he would be able to recognize them is someone brought them in.

Ice & Shadow both have their names on the front of the tag (large print), with my info on the back.

Both of them wear the microchip tag, that says "I’m and microchipped with X company (with the company’s website/phone number on it that they are registered on), and both of them have the chip number on it....and the last tag is the vaccination tag with the serial number of the shots....

IMO it doesn't really make a difference. They used to advice against due to dog knapping, however let's be realistic. You could call a dog any name under the sun and they would come if you had a nice tasty treat to lure them with.

Vets my way recommend against saying on the tag that the dog is microchipped as there have been cases in Essex where gypsys have stolen dogs and physically removed the chips themselves. Not pleasant.