Dog tags

Stormy

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Instead of putting a name, I have 'Needs Daily Meds' in that spot, so there is hopefully more of an urgency to return her.. or if someone wanted her and saw that, maybe they'd think twice and think she'd be too much of a hassle and too expensive to keep!

I thought about that! ;)

IMO it doesn't really make a difference. They used to advice against due to dog knapping, however let's be realistic. You could call a dog any name under the sun and they would come if you had a nice tasty treat to lure them with.

Vets my way recommend against saying on the tag that the dog is microchipped as there have been cases in Essex where gypsys have stolen dogs and physically removed the chips themselves. Not pleasant.

That's a good point regarding the I am microchipped point, but then I worry because the vet couldn't find Mya's chip for 20 minutes on a routine check. If she was lost and then found and taken to the vets, would they spend that long looking for a chip if they didn't know for sure there was one in the first place?

IMO it doesn't really make a difference. They used to advice against due to dog knapping, however let's be realistic. You could call a dog any name under the sun and they would come if you had a nice tasty treat to lure them with.

Vets my way recommend against saying on the tag that the dog is microchipped as there have been cases in Essex where gypsys have stolen dogs and physically removed the chips themselves. Not pleasant.

Gibson doesn't like treats, I've tried...

That's a good point regarding the I am microchipped point, but then I worry because the vet couldn't find Mya's chip for 20 minutes on a routine check. If she was lost and then found and taken to the vets, would they spend that long looking for a chip if they didn't know for sure there was one in the first place?

We found a husky wandering the streets at gone 10pm a few years ago. We contacted the police who said all they could do was lock it in a cell till the dog warden came on Monday. This was Saturday night. We opted to keep it at home and take it to a local vet in the morning. They spent a good twenty minutes or more hunting for its chip. It was reunited with its owners by lunch time :)

We found a husky wandering the streets at gone 10pm a few years ago. We contacted the police who said all they could do was lock it in a cell till the dog warden came on Monday. This was Saturday night. We opted to keep it at home and take it to a local vet in the morning. They spent a good twenty minutes or more hunting for its chip. It was reunited with its owners by lunch time :)

Cool. I would of kept it too like you did till the morning :)

I don't know is the simple and honest answer to that. There are plus and negative points for all options. It's really about what we as the owners feel is the best decision.

Personally I would say that if you're not comfortable putting a name on, then don't do it. If you feel anxious that the vets may not check thoroughly for a chip, then say the dog is chipped. Peace of mind is important as is having the knowledge available so that you are able to make an informed decision.

• 3 weeks later...

Blue doesnt have his name, my name, address of phone number on his tag. None of that is law here. He has his vet rabies tag, which is an individually assigned number. Its just whats done here. you find a stray dog thats the number you give, they call the vet and the vet has your info. And if you dog tends to run away alot (we have a few of those arounf here) the SPCA/humaine society/animal controls keep the rabies number and a discription on hand.

Blue is chipped, the humane society I got him from chipped him, which I think is awesome. He is registered there, at my vet, on purina's pet finder site, and somewherre else, can't remeber.

Also he is one of only 2 pure white huskies in my town. Which is good cause he loves everyone, and would happily go live with someone else.

Curious why would you NOT? Name, phone number...that's is what we have done and already has come in handy! They know their name...and when they call you and say we have "Butch" (or whatever) would know it was YOUR dog, right???