Eating Habits

Stormy

Im getting really confused with Shadow now as he used to wolf everything down!

He seems to really not want kibble atall now so much so he was trying to just tip it out his bowl this morning lol he will eat it more if i put a wet food topper on and he will eat chicken wings and most other things its just the kibble he doesnt want!

Do you think hes just becoming a bit more fussy ?

This happened to Kiska - up until she was about 8 months old she loved her food, then she just seemed to grow out of it and not really want to eat her kibble unless I added Nature Diet (wet food) to it. I ended up leaving it down all day for her to pick at. But now she's been spayed she's gone back to wolfing everything down, with an added "You've not fed me yet, put food down!" look on her face when she's finished eating now :P

This happened to Kiska - up until she was about 8 months old she loved her food, then she just seemed to grow out of it and not really want to eat her kibble unless I added Nature Diet (wet food) to it. I ended up leaving it down all day for her to pick at. But now she's been spayed she's gone back to wolfing everything down, with an added "You've not fed me yet, put food down!" look on her face when she's finished eating now :P

lol hopefully its just a phase then! He ate this morning with the added wet food again but very very slowly but he did finish it all :)

My six month old is doing the same thing. We have learned that she is terribly hungry right after a long walk or high exercise. We take advantage and feed her at these times and she is more welcoming to her kibble vs. treats/bones. I think that this is just a growing pain and I have heard that most puppies grow out of this.

If he is of healthy weight I wouldn't be too concerned. In all of my research it sounds like huskies do not need to eat much to sustain all of that high energy! Maybe a quick call to the vet if nothing changes with the suggestions you receive. Hopefully this is just a picky eater :)

If he is of healthy weight I wouldn't be too concerned. In all of my research it sounds like huskies do not need to eat much to sustain all of that high energy! Maybe a quick call to the vet if nothing changes with the suggestions you receive. Hopefully this is just a picky eater :)

Had him weighed yesterday he weighs 27.6 kilos so hes definately not underweight and has a good body shape etc so im not to worried just more confused than anything lol

My six month old is doing the same thing. We have learned that she is terribly hungry right after a long walk or high exercise. We take advantage and feed her at these times and she is more welcoming to her kibble vs. treats/bones. I think that this is just a growing pain and I have heard that most puppies grow out of this.

Feeding right before or after exercise can cause bloat - the second biggest killer in dogs. I would advise waiting at least an hour after getting back to feed your girl.

Feeding right before or after exercise can cause bloat - the second biggest killer in dogs. I would advise waiting at least an hour after getting back to feed your girl.

Really?? Every time we go on a walk/jog Raya comes home and looks at her food bowl and likes to have some ready for her! I think I'll wait feeding her. Don't want her to be poorly.

Im getting really confused with Shadow now as he used to wolf everything down!

He seems to really not want kibble atall now so much so he was trying to just tip it out his bowl this morning lol he will eat it more if i put a wet food topper on and he will eat chicken wings and most other things its just the kibble he doesnt want!

Do you think hes just becoming a bit more fussy ?

Rays ould only eat lamb and rice at the rescue home and when I took her home we encouraged her to eat more thins and she did. But she's a real fussy girl now. Some days she will eat something and others she won't. I give her chicken wings and she'll wolf them down and the next two days she won't touch them and just sniffs at them. Kibble she just doesn't want to know. I've tried all sorts. She will eat it then she goes on it and always leaves it in her bowl. The new Hi-Life moist complete is what she will eat at the moment with chicken.

Kibble she doesn't really touch, and any wet foods from a packet she doesn't touch.

I wondered if she was only eating it all before because she was worried that Saaba (the little piggy!) was going to eat her dinner if she didn't!!!

Really?? Every time we go on a walk/jog Raya comes home and looks at her food bowl and likes to have some ready for her! I think I'll wait feeding her. Don't want her to be poorly.

Oh I'm sure she's hungry, Kiska does the same thing :P But with Kiska being part GSD, which are more prone to bloat than most breeds, it's something I've always avoided. Siberian huskies are a deep chested breed which makes them more prone than some dogs too. There's more information here: http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm

Fable's the same although he's never wolfed his food he's always been a delicate eater lol.

I've had so many problems with foods and him that I've found one that works and am sticking with it. he picks at it but he does clear the bowl. He's a fussy eater too.