Zoo lion mistakes small visitor for prey

aronoiiel

This happens SO often! YouTube is full of videos of lions trying to get at children!

I love this one at 30 seconds, the lioness is all "your head should go in my mouth!"

jT7_CtjEVFU

qO86vkjG09Q

YNXhs3wd9Io

I suspect these two are the same lion, different people/days.

iGW7AD-U5wY

tYcJ5YTjN3I

Me and some friends were at the Calgary Zoo at dusk one year, and one of the lionesses was very interested in one of my friends, a nearly 200 lb adult male! She stopped short of jumping on the glass, but she wanted him bad.

I find it quite funny :P The people are perfectly safe, any modern zoo would have made sure of that, and it's enrichment for the lions. it's rousing their predatory instincts for a while. It's never going to go on long enough to cause any massive stress or long term damage to the lion's health and they're free to break from the interaction at any point. Plus it might be enough to inspire the guests that witness it to become interested in the species and become more educated. I'm all for most forms of guest-animal interactions :)

It's not the safety of the child that I was bothered by it was the teasing of the lion but now that Steph gave me a different perspective with a well thought out answer I can see the amusement. I just initially didn't think it was right to tease the lion like that but it is good to see it still has it's instincts in captivity :)