Questions about my soon to be sibe and general dog question

Sn0wFlaK

Hi Sn0wFlaK - I wanted to reply to your earlier post but have just taken a few points out to reply to specifically.

I hope you understand this is advice and not pointless criticism.

I think I'll still take my chances. After all, we learn from our mistakes

Yes, you're right, we do learn from our mistakes, but ideally through good preparation and education we can keep the mistakes to a minimum or even eradicate them.

As others have said, its best to prepare as well as you can even if that means waiting longer.

I think if I had to know everything, I'd be reading for a month at the very least.

LOL. A month isn't that long.

I'm sure some people on this forum have made a mistake like I have and were unaware of issues as well.

Learning from other peoples mistakes and therefore not repeating them is an excellent way to live.

I know better now and already signed up for classes.

Excellent - well done

You guys have all the reason to doubt me

I don't doubt that you have potential to give any dog a wonderful home, only that you might not be ready just now. I would strongly consider waiting for a later litter, from a breeder who will keep the puppies until at least 8 weeks and who shows a lot of concern about whether you're right for the breed. A good breeder will always insist on having the dog back if for any reason things don't work out. At least the ones I know do. :-)

But, I'm going to go ahead and give it a go. Regardless of how bad/good it will end up

That's the most worrying part of your whole post and if you read it back hopefully you can see why. Pease DON'T just 'give it a go'

(btw I don't mean to sound mad if it comes off like that. I can't tell . But yeah if it does, I apologize)

Came across as fine to me

My method was to do a lot of initial research online and make contact with owners/breeders to learn the basics about the breed. Many people will try and put you off and tell you all the bad points becasue you have to be realistic and accept that you could find yourself with a dog that is hard work and pushes your patience to the limits at times; especially if you don't bring it up right. Once I was sure that the cons were manageable I found some reputable breeders (via a local show) whose adult dogs I liked and made contact with them with a view to waiting until they had litters available. At that stage I anticipated that it might be a 12 month or so wait. I didn't go to breeders who just constantly churn out litter after litter. I had to complete a questionnaire to give information about myself/house/lifestyle etc. Some breeders will visit your home if they have concerns.

I then read about 8 different books - you'll find the information is very similar in most of the good ones. Here are some that you might find helpful:

The New Complete Siberian Husky - Michael Jennings

A New Owners Guide to Siberian Huskies - Kathleen Kanzler

Siberian Huskies A Complete Pet Owners Manual - Kerry V Kern

The Siberian Husky - Betsy Sikora Siino

The Siberian Husky - Joan Mcdonald Brearley

I'm sure there are many more. I bought all mine used by the way. Amazon Marketplace has a lot of cheap used books that can save you a lot of money.

Also try: http://www.usedbooksearch.co.uk/US.htm and http://www.bookfinder.com/ - I hope the links work ok.

Best of luck!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, I'd like to say that you're doing your part in researching just by coming here and asking questions. I do agree that puppies shouldn't be separated before 8 weeks, but if you don't get this puppy someone else will. That falls on the breeder, not you. If you're willing to take time with SA and social issues your puppy can still turn out to be a wonderful dog. All dogs can develop this way, regardless of when they're taken from their family. A higher risk is just a higher risk. I would suggest you continue reading and asking all the way up until you get your new puppy. I will admit when I got my very first puppy it was very off the wall because I found him for free and jumped on the opportunity. I spent a good 6 to 7 hours that night alone just reading, reading, reading. Then 3-4 hours at least the week following. He was a black lab which made learning a lot easier as I had never had a dog before in my life. Huskies are an entirely different breed though. I had done a full month of research before I brought Niko home and spent a full week literally JUST reading about huskies. I still find that I am a little under-educated in some things but as soon as I realize I don't fully understand something or that there's something I missed, I look it right up and read, read, read on it. I am learning as I go as well, but I did make sure to have a very good understanding before I brought Niko home. It's defs a day to day learning experience to have a Husky for the first time, regardless of how much you read I've found. Reading isn't the same as experience, as to physically having the dog there and learning how THEY react to things. I did just order a Husky book off Amazon; something I wish I would have done sooner but I certainly don't think it's too late. Bottom line- Continue your research, and congrats on your new puppy.

Thanks guys. But I'm guessing I won't be getting her after all. Lol. I read somewhere on here that quality food ties to their health and my dad yelled at me today saying we wouldn't be buying any food like that. We'd only give him the one my mom gets from the store (Since she's a coupon master she gets things really cheap -___-) And the dog food they have is mostly iams or something lol and I only want the very best so unfortunately, I'm not cut out for her :< . Maybe another time when I get my own house.

Hi Sn0wFlaK - I wanted to reply to your earlier post but have just taken a few points out to reply to specifically.

I hope you understand this is advice and not pointless criticism.

I think if I had to know everything, I'd be reading for a month at the very least.

LOL. A month isn't that long. I meant month as 24 hours everyday of that month aka about 744 hours... I thought that was a lot ):

I then read about 8 different books - you'll find the information is very similar in most of the good ones. Here are some that you might find helpful:

The New Complete Siberian Husky - Michael Jennings

A New Owners Guide to Siberian Huskies - Kathleen Kanzler

Siberian Huskies A Complete Pet Owners Manual - Kerry V Kern

The Siberian Husky - Betsy Sikora Siino

The Siberian Husky - Joan Mcdonald Brearley Thanks, I'll try to get these if I ever get one :D .

I'm sure there are many more. I bought all mine used by the way. Amazon Marketplace has a lot of cheap used books that can save you a lot of money.

Also try: http://www.usedbooksearch.co.uk/US.htm and http://www.bookfinder.com/ - I hope the links work ok.

Best of luck!

Thanks guys. But I'm guessing I won't be getting her after all. Lol. I read somewhere on here that quality food ties to their health and my dad yelled at me today saying we wouldn't be buying any food like that. We'd only give him the one my mom gets from the store (Since she's a coupon master she gets things really cheap -___-) And the dog food they have is mostly iams or something lol and I only want the very best so unfortunately, I'm not cut out for her :< . Maybe another time when I get my own house.

I know it's hard when you want something badly and can't have it, but if it's any help I think you should be proud of yourself for realising that conditions aren't right (at the moment) and that waiting will be better for you and the dog. The very fact that you are on here trying to learn more shows your heart is in the right place and I hope one day if the circumstances are right you get your dream dog.

I had to put off owning a dog for many years as I worked long hours and often stayed away. I have now worked from home for 18mths or so and so can have a dog as I am here with it for the majority of the time.

I know it's hard when you want something badly and can't have it, but if it's any help I think you should be proud of yourself for realising that conditions aren't right (at the moment) and that waiting will be better for you and the dog. The very fact that you are on here trying to learn more shows your heart is in the right place and I hope one day if the circumstances are right you get your dream dog.

I had to put off owning a dog for many years as I worked long hours and often stayed away. I have now worked from home for 18mths or so and so can have a dog as I am here with it for the majority of the time.

Haha I hope I get to be as lucky as you and work from home if not I don't think I'd ever be able to get a puppy until maybe 5-10 years from now . But yeah, it's hard but I still have my current dog so in a way I'm learning about both so I'm grateful to be able to learn these things (: so I can be a better dog owner for the future . Yay!