A few questions?

Shaiasaur

I'm just very undecided at the moment.

Please answer these questions! :P

1. What's good cheap food beside TOTW?

2. After going potty, do I play with the pup or bring it in then later play time?

(Heard if you play with pup afterwords it means going outside is playtime, not potty?)

3. Which harness and lead is good and will last for a long time?

4. Good cheap dog treats?

5. How old should I get their first shots and which ones?

Thank you all for helping me lately with my questions, I appreciate it all and I give you all a big hug! :grouphug:

Cost and quality are directly related, so no premium food is really going to be super cheap. TOTW, Merrick, Blue Buffalo, Wellness are all good foods that won't break the bank. Plus premium foods require less quantity to feed so you go through less food and that saves you money :) For 9 dogs on TOTW its about a bag per week.

2. After going potty, do I play with the pup or bring it in then later play time?

(Heard if you play with pup afterwords it means going outside is playtime, not potty?)

Be excited right after the event (potty) and some immediate reward play, if you wait they will not associate the play with the success in the yard.

What will you be wanting from your harness? Is this just for walking, because by nature harnesses will encourage the Siberian's natural pull drive. Unless it's a walk easy harness (which I never really liked) I use martingale collars (limited slip) and a standard webbing lead to walk mine. They last years unless you have a dog that will chew the collar off others.

Make your own! String cheese works great, boiled chicken is always a hit, you can bake chicken into jerky....all really natural and simple!

At 8 weeks they should have had at minimum their first round, then update at 11-12 weeks, again 15-16 weeks. Worm on same schedule

Cost and quality are directly related, so no premium food is really going to be super cheap. TOTW, Merrick, Blue Buffalo, Wellness are all good foods that won't break the bank. Plus premium foods require less quantity to feed so you go through less food and that saves you money :) For 9 dogs on TOTW its about a bag per week.

Be excited right after the event (potty) and some immediate reward play, if you wait they will not associate the play with the success in the yard.

What will you be wanting from your harness? Is this just for walking, because by nature harnesses will encourage the Siberian's natural pull drive. Unless it's a walk easy harness (which I never really liked) I use martingale collars (limited slip) and a standard webbing lead to walk mine. They last years unless you have a dog that will chew the collar off others.

Make your own! String cheese works great, boiled chicken is always a hit, you can bake chicken into jerky....all really natural and simple!

At 8 weeks they should have had at minimum their first round, then update at 11-12 weeks, again 15-16 weeks. Worm on same schedule

Thank you very much!

If you have a feed store around you that carries Kent products, I like Native dog food - they do have a puppy product, and it's much better than the typical Kent food, in my opinion!

As far as vaccines go, talk to your vet about what vaccines to give - what's given tends to vary from area to area, as certain diseases are more prevalent in some areas than others. Most vaccines (a combo containing distemper and parvo, plus constituents for several other diseases) are given in the US every 3-4 weeks until the puppy reaches around 4 months of age, at which point in most areas, they're old enough to be vaccinated against rabies...

If you have a feed store around you that carries Kent products, I like Native dog food - they do have a puppy product, and it's much better than the typical Kent food, in my opinion!

As far as vaccines go, talk to your vet about what vaccines to give - what's given tends to vary from area to area, as certain diseases are more prevalent in some areas than others. Most vaccines (a combo containing distemper and parvo, plus constituents for several other diseases) are given in the US every 3-4 weeks until the puppy reaches around 4 months of age, at which point in most areas, they're old enough to be vaccinated against rabies...

Thank you very much! I will look into that! :D

The vaccination process seems so long and drawn out in the US - here we vaccinate once at 7 or 8 weeks, then the following one at 10 weeks (or if the first vaccine was given after 8 weeks, then the second is 2 weeks after the first, whatever age they are) and the puppy can go out at 11 weeks.

The vaccination process seems so long and drawn out in the US - here we vaccinate once at 7 or 8 weeks, then the following one at 10 weeks (or if the first vaccine was given after 8 weeks, then the second is 2 weeks after the first, whatever age they are) and the puppy can go out at 11 weeks.

Thank you for this information! :D

We usually don't keep puppies in until they're fully vaccinated, either - I've never heard a vet suggest not going out in public with a pup, once it's had a first set, although they usually suggest not taking them to places where there are a LOT of dogs, like a dog park or something... Part of the reason we do extend it (aside from not knowing when the immunity derived from the maternal antibodies wears off) would be the need for a rabies vaccination, which isn't given until around 4 months of age...

I'm a first time dog owner more or less first time Husky owner so take my advice with a grain of salt. XD Maybe I can even learn more from this thread.

I have a really good friend that's fresh out of vet school and she suggested to me Purina. She's told me that some of the more expensive brands are actually bad for dogs. The reason she told me is because cheaper brands have ingredients that are harder to digest. They do this on purpose because it makes the dogs feel full. You need to feed them the same amount of both but most more expensive brands will leave your dog feeling starved. ( Or for some people that leave their dogs on open eating schedules, cause them to eat WAY more than they should and can cause obesity and health problems.) This is also what my breeder fed all of her Huskies and what she suggested to me.

From what I've read the best thing to do is take the pup outside and only let them ONLY do their business and bring them back in. After a few minutes you can give your outside command and take them out to play but do not let them play before going potty. That way they learn two different commands for outside. The only time I've heard of letting them play is people that start to take their dogs for walks and then bring them right home after they go potty. This teaches them that going potty = end of walk, so they begin to hold it. I guess that the same could be true for taking them out to potty without a walk but I haven't had this problem.

Can't answer this. XD

I personally buy Canine Carry Outs from Wal-mart. XD They're only $1 for a 7oz bag and currently two bags last more than a month when I break them up, though that's probably because he's only 3 months old. I personally love the value. I try to never skimp on pet supplies, though I've had to since I was laid off from my job in December, even if I made more money I imagine I'd still buy this brand of dog treats. When he's older I could see myself using more people food as well but I try to hold off on feeding pups any food I eat simply because my boyfriends mom and my sister did that with their dogs and they absolutely refuse to eat dog food now. They even tried starving the dogs and only offering dog food and both became malnourished and continued refusing to eat.

Your pups first shots should come at 8 weeks. A lot of breeders that I've seen will generally get them started but this is not always the case. With Niko, for example, he only had a deworming before we got him. Ideally we would have gotten his shots right away but because I just moved across the United States I had to wait until he was 11 weeks before we took him for his first shots. He got a 5 in 1 vaccine which included Distemper, Hepatitis, Parainfluenza, Parvovirus, and Coronavirus all in just one needle. Really, you should talk to your vet about what's right for the pup. :3

We usually don't keep puppies in until they're fully vaccinated, either - I've never heard a vet suggest not going out in public with a pup, once it's had a first set, although they usually suggest not taking them to places where there are a LOT of dogs, like a dog park or something...

Did I read this right? XD The three vets I've talked to suggested the pup not be outside for too long until 14-16 weeks. When Niko got his first shots Tuesday we mentioned that we couldn't wait until we could finally walk him and the vet mentioned "Now you know you shouldn't take him out until he's had 3 sets of shots." I see a lot of drawn opinions on this so I'm really confused.

it's actually quite simple, when I done it i cut a chicken breast intothin slithers removiing any fat in the process, laid them out on a baking tray and baked them at the lowest temperature for about 2:30 hours, this dehydrates the chicken so it should be bendy but not so stiff you can snap it and......voila 100 percent chicken jerky

The Running Wild Pack

Did I read this right? XD The three vets I've talked to suggested the pup not be outside for too long until 14-16 weeks. When Niko got his first shots Tuesday we mentioned that we couldn't wait until we could finally walk him and the vet mentioned "Now you know you shouldn't take him out until he's had 3 sets of shots." I see a lot of drawn opinions on this so I'm really confused.

It's perhaps something new among vets, then. I've worked as a vet assistant off and on for over 20 years, and have bred and shown my dogs - never had heard anything like until I came on Husky Owners!

In my opinion, it comes down to calculating your risks... Puppies need to be socialized, and to do that, they need to meet people and dogs at a young age. It needs to be done in as safe a fashion as possible, so while I wouldn't take a young puppy to a dog park, if I knew of a training class for puppies where I was confident that things were kept very clean and dogs going there were vaccinated, I'd be willing to take a few more risks about exposure to potential disease...

it's actually quite simple, when I done it i cut a chicken breast intothin slithers removiing any fat in the process, laid them out on a baking tray and baked them at the lowest temperature for about 2:30 hours, this dehydrates the chicken so it should be bendy but not so stiff you can snap it and......voila 100 percent chicken jerky

The Running Wild Pack

:up:Thats how we make ours,and saves $,and are better for the pups:)

We took ours out an about but carried them everywhere.

Depending what age you get them ours got vaccinated at 7/8 weeks and again two weeks later. They could safely hit the ground running two weeks after that. We don't have a rabies vaccine so I can't comment on that.

:up:Thats how we make ours,and saves $,and are better for the pups:)

Chip here are a couple of books for making your own treats. Saves you money also you know what you are giving your dog. Most treats that come from stores add more than you want to give to your dog, like artificial colors, flavors and preservatives. We have always made our treats for all three of our pups. Most of all, you know they are fresh. We have our own recipes for what we make, but these books we sell at SA DA KA in our bakery.

post-8087-0-83852200-1403344248.jpg

post-6713-13586038486821_thumb.jpg

post-6713-13586038489745_thumb.jpg

post-6713-13586038491916_thumb.jpg

post-6713-13586038494662_thumb.jpg

post-6713-13586038497082_thumb.jpg

Chip here are a couple of books for making your own treats. Saves you money also you know what you are giving your dog. Most treats that come from stores add more than you want to give to your dog, like artificial colors, flavors and preservatives. We have always made our treats for all three of our pups. Most of all, you know they are fresh. We have our own recipes for what we make, but these books we sell at SA DA KA in our bakery.

[ATTACH=full]49125[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]49126[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]49127[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]49128[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]49129[/ATTACH]

Thank you:D:D:D, you just know I'm gonna try them meat balls lol, I did actually have a dog treat recipes book but it got thrown out before I used it:(, it did come with a bone shaped biscuit cutter, still go that;) so not all bad, again Thank You:D:clap::D