New here :)

Hey everyone! :)

I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself, so here goes. My name is Megan and I'm married to a great man. We have an almost 2 year old son, and we have other pets as well. We don't have our Siberian yet, but we will be getting one when the pups are ready in the beginning of June. We've already made arrangements to pay our deposit tomorrow for a red and white female. This will be our first Husky, and I have been doing crazy amounts of research on the breed, as well as methods for housebreaking and training a Husky. I know that it will be a challenge in the beginning, but I am definitely up for the challenge of having one of these dogs in my life. I'm a stay-at-home-mom as well so I can spend a lot of time training, playing with, and exercising the puppy. I know never to leave my son alone with a dog, so no worries on that. Anyway, I hope to get to know you all and will definitely post lots of pictures when we get our puppy in June.

Sorry this is a post and run (I'll be back on tomorrow sometime), but it's late and my husband wants to watch a movie with me. :)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome! Can't wait to see your little girl's pics! I was also going to get a little red and white girl, but her brother planted himself on my lap and drove the other pups off. Guess it was his choice not mine! You'll get a lot of that from huskies- stubborn to the core but SOOOO worth it! Congratulations!!:yahoo:

Thank you to everyone who has welcomed me to the site! It's nice to have such a warm welcome from so many, so thanks again! As for being really excited, I simply can't wait to bring her home in June! We went today to pay the deposit and see her and make sure that I she was the one I wanted and I'm just in love, she's adorable. I can't wait to see what kind of personality she has so that I can come up with a name (I'm horrible with naming pets, so suggestions are welcome and I'll make a list if there are some I like).

Also do any of you own one or more cats? If so, how well do/does your Siberian(s) get along with your cat(s)? We have two cats, a male orange tabby named Garfield and a female tortoise shell named Buttercup. I'm not too worried about having cats and a Husky in the same house, and I'm never going to leave the cats alone with her at all.

:hello:and welcome.

I have a red and white boy....called Blue!:D

He is the youngest and craziest in my pack.

Look forward to seeing pics!:)

Hi and thank you for welcoming me! :)

I will definitely be posting tons when the day comes to pick her up and take her home :)

Hi and WavingWelcome.gif

I have one Siberian who is very good with the cats - and several more who really aren't! How brave are your cats? You'll stand a better chance if they'll stand their ground rather than running from your pup when you get her.

Hi! :D

Garfield will be a year old on the 16th of this month, I believe (my sister gave him to us when he was 8 weeks old and didn't remember his exact date of birth), but he's pretty brave for an inside cat. Out of the two cats, Garfield would probably be the one to hold his ground. Our female cat, Buttercup, is only 8 months old and she's more skittish, and prefers to hide most of the day anyway. She's very loving towards me though, she'll rub and walk all over me and purr the whole time if I'm around. I think it'll be fine once they're all acquainted with one another though. I was just curious to see what other owners have exeperienced with their Siberians and cats.

Hi and welcome to the forum :) I don't have cats, unfortunately, but I have heard that it is better to introduce a puppy to cats than a full grown husky. Like potty/house training, and when setting boundaries, teaching them to leave the cats alone should be part of the same training. Never let the puppy get away with chasing the cats, he must know from day one that is is not allowed - if you let him get away with it once - the cats will be fair game. Be consistent with all training and it will be a breeze :rolleyes:

I know Austinville has a cat and a gorgeous, very spoilt (:P) little husky girl and she posted photos the other day of the two of them sleeping together - so it can be done.

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/threads/oh-get-a-room.37717/

Hi Megan,

We have had a number of dogs who have all interacted well with our cats, (ultimately the cats 'rule' the dogs regardless of size), but this has to be a gradual process, (allow the two parties to get to know each other over a period of time - well supervised at all times).

This has even worked well with both of our Greyhounds, (they are just as 'keen' at chasing small animals as are Huskies), and we have had no problems whatsoever.

We are currently in the process of acqainting Luna, (3 year old Husky), with our three house cats, (Tiger, Phobie and Tish), and we have had no problems, to date, other than Phoebie, (the eldest, thinest and most frail of all of our cats), who gave Luna a warning strike on the nose, (when she got too close at the start of the week), and Luna has learned from that and now keeps a safe distance!

I am now confident that Luna will coexist with the cats without any further issues but, (just like all with all of our previous dogs), I would NEVER leave them all alone together - in an enclosed space or small room.

I took the precaution of placing two large cardboard boxes under the bed, (both having cut outs large enough for a cat - but not a Husky), so that the cats have somewhere safe to retreat to if required.

I do not think that these have been used as we now have a Husky and three cats sleeping on the bed together!!