New here :)

Hi Megan,

We have had a number of dogs who have all interacted well with our cats, (ultimately the cats 'rule' the dogs regardless of size), but this has to be a gradual process, (allow the two parties to get to know each other over a period of time - well supervised at all times).

This has even worked well with both of our Greyhounds, (they are just as 'keen' at chasing small animals as are Huskies), and we have had no problems whatsoever.

We are currently in the process of acqainting Luna, (3 year old Husky), with our three house cats, (Tiger, Phobie and Tish), and we have had no problems, to date, other than Phoebie, (the eldest, thinest and most frail of all of our cats), who gave Luna a warning strike on the nose, (when she got too close at the start of the week), and Luna has learned from that and now keeps a safe distance!

I am now confident that Luna will coexist with the cats without any further issues but, (just like all with all of our previous dogs), I would NEVER leave them all alone together - in an enclosed space or small room.

I took the precaution of placing two large cardboard boxes under the bed, (both having cut outs large enough for a cat - but not a Husky), so that the cats have somewhere safe to retreat to if required.

I do not think that these have been used as we now have a Husky and three cats sleeping on the bed together!!

That sounds really adorable. :)

But the cats have found a lot of great places to hide and I believe that I'm going to put up a baby gate or something similiar a little ways down our hallway so that if they cats want to hide in our bedroom if the puppy gets to be too much for them then they can. The doorway to our kitchen is already blocked with a baby gate since our son is only about to turn 2 and I don't like him going out of my sight even for a few seconds anyway. My son never gets left alone with the cats at all even though they were both raised around him from 8 week old kittens, and I will never leave my son and any dog alone together, and that goes for leaving my cats with a dog alone together as well -- I won't do it. Also, thank you for the tip of introducing the cats and the puppy slowly, I will have to do this with my son as well since he is still young, but he does have a fairly decent understanding of how to be gentle when petting an animal.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

post-6656-13586039205196_thumb.jpg

I have 4 huskies and 2 cats. All four are afraid of my 12 year old 12 pound male cat Oscar. He has no fear and will attack the dogs if he feels bothered. I also have a 16 month female cat who is a little more skittish of the dogs. My huskies will not bother the female cat in the house at all when I am home. However she escaped into the backyard one time climbing out of a window and nearly became a husky dinner. Outside they feel she is fair game and I had a close call, because my 3 year old male caught her, but he is so obedient that he dropped her on my command. She was shaken up a bit, but no injuries. My female cat is locked up in my room when I am not home. My male cat stays out with the huskies, he is the true boss of the house. The last pic is my 3 year old male Koda using my cat Oscar as a headrest. :)

post-6656-13586039204204_thumb.jpg

post-6656-13586039204334_thumb.jpg

post-6656-13586039205099_thumb.jpg

Edited by CatJax

Aw, your pictures are lovely, especially the last one :)

Anyway, I'm thinking that our male cat will be fine when introduced to our puppy when we get her, he's huge, and isn't afraid of our almost 2 year old son so I think he'll do well haha. It's just our female cat that will probably have the most protest about the puppy. She'll probably spend most of her time hiding somewhere though until she gets use to the new addition.