Off leash advice

bigval2

hi there, just wondering if anybody has any suggestive advice for me. I've had my sibe joely since she was 8 wks and she is now 1 and 1/2 yrs old and she will listen to me great in the house and come when called, and follow me around the house by my side but i'm having trouble outside with her and her paying attention to me or lack there of. I know it is a common trait in almost all huskies but just wondering if anyone has any tricks or tips that may help me? I'm quite an outdoors person and would love to bring her camping with me, and let her off leash while hiking but she is just not ready. I've tried a longer lead and she will respond to me but loses interest very fast. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Agree with Nick...just keep her on lead / leash..you will have more enjoyment of your furkid this way...it is not worth it if she sees something that has her interested much more then you...

I'm sorry but the likely hood of you getting your husky to be reliable off lead after the age of 1 is at best remote. If you wanted a reliable off lead dog you should have considered another breed. Husky's have a very strong prey drive which is why you are just plain boring when she goes outside. In the house you're the best thing since sliced bread, outside with independence there are a million things far more interesting to explore, sniff and ultimately chase. As long as she doesn't get hurt, hit by a car or dogknapped she will eventually make her way back to you. But only in her own sweet time.

Any reputable breeder would have told you never let your husky off lead when you initially purchased her. Having said that.

I've two males and two females, the boyz aren't too bad at coming back when called but not until they've had a good half hour running will they even glance at me if I call. One of my girls is very fearful so does stay quite close. The other one has no fear of anything and will just go, the problem is they all follow and dont return until the errant female does.

I no longer risk letting them off unless it's in a confined area.

It may not be what you wanted to hear, but there are very few people who will extole the virtues of letting husky's offlead on this forum. You can use a walking belt to attach your lead to in order to keep your hands free and still hike comfortably

I agree with what has already been said I do know people who will let their sibe off the lead when we go over the fields but i have my girl on her 50ft lead attached to my walking belt she can still play and run but she just can't run off

very VERY rare that huskies can be offlead , and even then the people who can let theirs off dont recommend it , huskies that are good offlead can be so for years then one day husky instinct creeps back in and they are gone!

i would reccomend just keeping ur dog on a long lead/line and keep her safe

My short answer (and it's just my opinion) is that if your dog doesn't show good recall by now it is too risky to let her off-lead. It seems to me (and I'm no expert) that a Husky being trusted off lead is a very rare thing. Widening the topic, I know many owners of various other breeds who also won't their dogs off lead in certain areas as the dogs will disappear for an hour or more exploring. A labrador and jack russell immediately spring to mind. The problem with Huskies is that they are running machines and the sheer distance they can travel in a short space of time increases the problem.

Now having said that I have let Maya off from when I first got her at 11 weeks. Initially it was just to give her a bit of freedom at a time when she was too young/timid to stray far from me. She's now 13mths and I still let her off, but things have changed. Whereas I would previously let her off in various fields I now don't. Certain fields have 'escape routes' where she can get out onto neighbouring housing estates. She followed another dog once who went to his house 20 feet from the field entrance and she found a neighbour had put cat food out the front in a bowl (?) Ever since then she has associated houses with potential food and so she's keen to go and take a look. She did it a couple of times and went from front door to front door and kept off the road (which by the way is a quiet cul de sac) but obviously i wasn't going to allow that to continue.

I'm waffling here, but my point it that Maya's recall is superb and much better than a lot of dogs we walk with; including breeds that are meant to be better. BUT... she WILL totally ignore me on the occasions where she has found something else to focus on.

I'm glad I let her off leash and it's great that she can run and play with other dogs in the safe field that we have nearby, but I think I am fortunate to have a Husky that is so well behaved (her choice not my training).

I keep expecting her to revert back to 'normal' Husky behaviour and I'm quite resigned to keeping her on lead permanently one day. I'm told that once she gets older she will be more likely to run off. We'll see...

I get my 8 week old boy in another 10 days and I realise that he might be totally different and need to be on lead all the time.