Just a couple questions :)

musicalxheart

Okay, so I have a couple questions now.

1. What brand of crate did you buy for your Siberian when they were a puppy (assuming you got them when they were a pup), and how much did you pay for it? I know crates can get expensive, but it's worth it if it'll hold my puppy and keep her from escaping and destroying the house if I'm not home or if it's night time and we're all asleep(since I've read a few posts all around the internet stating that their Sibe figured out how to escape from their crate). I want one that won't break the bank, but isn't a cheap piece of trash, that is suited for an adult Siberian Husky, that comes with dividers so I can make it smaller for the puppy stage, and so on until the dividers are no longer needed.

2. Can a few of you awesome people give me a nice list of names that would be suitable for a red & white female Siberian Husky? I've made a short list, and a couple people posted on my profile before the site went down for the changes to be made and I never wrote down the names I liked that the two people posted on my profiles wall.

My boys have a metal one - make sure you get one with a metal tray at the bottom too and not a plastic on as they like to chew ;)

they have one of these:

crate-metal.jpg

I paid around £30-£35 incl shipping not sure what that is in $ though. I also put ties around the edges :)

My boys have a metal one - make sure you get one with a metal tray at the bottom too and not a plastic on as they like to chew ;)

they have one of these:

crate-metal.jpg

I paid around £30-£35 incl shipping not sure what that is in $ though. I also put ties around the edges :)

this is the exact one sarah and i bought when we got storm at 8 weeks old. he's a little over 4 months now and it's nice because ours came with a little metal partition that you can make it smaller with. we've had a good experience with it. we paid about $100 us for it

Our Sibe's breeder only recommends the plastic airline-approved crates. We bought them at our PetSmart (Canada) and they are the 400-size. I think the brand is "Vari kennel". The breeder recommends the plastic ones for the following reasons:

1) Sibes tend to destroy the wire ones;

2) the plastic ones are more "den-like" and therefore provide a better environment for your husky;

3) if you need to travel, your Sibe gets to fly in his own crate from home (airline-approved);

4) if you need to store crates, the airline approved ones are easier to stack and store: we have a set of crates at my parents house and a set at home. When not in use at my parent's house the crates are disassembled and stacked in a corner of the garage.

We bought our 20lb shiba-inu a wire crate and she destroyed it in 1 night, escaped and went to sleep on the couch at my parents house. Oopsie!!

i bought a 42' crate and am currently sectioning it off. it was on sale for about $70 dollars at a local pet supplies store. I didn't want to order one online because I was worried it might be cheaply made or damaged. Luka doesn't really chew on the plastic bottom exp. since I put a bed in there but I def recommend adding plastic ties or bending the metal with pliers to secure it because it had some extra space. and make sure it's double latch! ;)

this is the exact one sarah and i bought when we got storm at 8 weeks old. he's a little over 4 months now and it's nice because ours came with a little metal partition that you can make it smaller with. we've had a good experience with it. we paid about $100 us for it

Did you buy yours from a store or online?

I will have to make a trip to a PetSmart soon then. The city I live in is small and doesn't have any of the major pet supply stores, other than Wal-Mart and two smaller pet shop/supply stores. One of them I refuse to go to since the staff are rude and usually don't know what they're talking about.

[MENTION=7406]LittleLuka[/MENTION]: I've been looking around online as well and I'm leary of ordering a crate off the internet as well for those exact reasons. What brand of crate did you buy? I'm just curious, maybe I could find that brand around here.

Edited by musicalxheart

they have one of these:

£35??? Where did you get them from? I've never heard of one so cheap! Great bargain you got there!

I purchased my 42" wired crate from Walmart that came with a partition to decrease the size for pups and had no problems. If you're bringing home an eight week old pup you shouldn't have any problems crate training him/her as long as you begin from day 1. The brand of crate they sell is called PetMate and has proven to withstand my Husky :)

I purchased my 42" wired crate from Walmart that came with a partition to decrease the size for pups and had no problems. If you're bringing home an eight week old pup you shouldn't have any problems crate training him/her as long as you begin from day 1. The brand of crate they sell is called PetMate and has proven to withstand my Husky :)

The ones I've looked at in our local Wal-Mart don't have the partitions and I don't think they're PetMate, but I could be wrong. I'll check once more for the brand, but I checked every box that was there to see if any of them came with a divider and they didn't. Also, I'm going to a local pet supply store so maybe they'll have something, but if not I'll be making a trip to a PetSmart, which means I'll have to drive at least an hour to get to the city it's located at.

Thank you to everyone who has responded, I will keep looking for all the brands and such in the stores around me, and if I absolutely have to I will order one off the internet. Again, thank you all for being so helpful, I really appreciate it!! :D