More husky dogs to be abandoned says ITV

Beccs

Hey all,

Was just having a look around the web when i came across this news report claiming that there is going to be a large increase in number of huskies abandoned..

In this news report the frequently use the excuse 'Siberian huskies are perhaps the dogs most similar to their wild wolf ancestor' and complains that some owners cant handle them when they are grown up. Its also claimed that huskies are becoming a fashion accessory.

'They are very demanding. They need a lot of exercise. They can be destructive around the home. They are not ideal for a pet.Breeders themselves need to be a bit more responsible in selecting who they give their dogs to.'

Mathew Clarke, Husky owner

To read the full report click here http://www.itv.com/news/border/2012-04-19/husky-dogs-are-abandoned/

and feel free to leave a comment stating your views on the subject.

Edited by Beccs

I know us lot in the "husky community" are aware of the problem, but I have seen one or two "good" media bits on the down side to husky ownership, let's hope the message hits home before the problem gets any worse than it already is

Yes Val i agree,i hope they consider all this before getting a husky so there is no reason for it to be re homed.

yes i agree.. must people see huskies as wolfs and therefore think they are going to attack. Also i don't think people realize the amount of care and grooming these dogs need.

We never really saw huskies before we got Broder but now they seem to be everywhere! I don't understand how someone can get a dog and not do their research. It's not good enough to get rid of a dog due to reasons that any husky owner could tell you will happen!

We never really saw huskies before we got Broder but now they seem to be everywhere! I don't understand how someone can get a dog and not do their research. It's not good enough to get rid of a dog due to reasons that any husky owner could tell you will happen!

same here before we adopted Argento there was no husky's around now there are loads..

I am both happy and unhappy with this news =\ I'm glad they made people think twice before purchasing a husky puppy but I also hate it how they made people fear/hate this breed even more :( shih tzu is actually the breed with closest ancestry to wolves

Chatting to the vet's wife on Saturday and she said how two people came in with four husky pups. They had each bought two each and were first time dog owners. She has had a call from one of the owners to say she had returned one of the pups to the breeder as she couldn't cope. Lucky the breeder took the pup back. Promised to drop some Husky Owners website cards in so she can give them out to husky owners who come into the surgery.

"She's going to be a pretty special dog to re-home. She's not one you can cuddle and fuss and have as a family pet. It's going to be a very special home for this dog."

What?!! Huskies don't like cuddles? Two of my three adore cuddles and whinge at me if I ignore them.

Lines like this though, really p1$$ me off,

"Siberian huskies are perhaps the dogs most similar to their wild wolf ancestor. "

Chihauhau's are genetically closer to Wolves than Huskies

And people share 99% with other humans, 98% with monkies, and 50% of their DNA with Bananas according to a Professor of Genetics at University College, London...percentages in differing species do get a bit subjective don'tcha think?

because of how beautiful they are people just want them without realizing the time, effort, and dedication you have to give them. i can't tell you how many people have been asking me what breeder i got Luka from. Is it completely rude of me to not tell them?