On Or OFF Lead?

PixWorx

this seems to be a divided opinion across husky owners .. whats best keep on a lead or let off a lead ??? i am currently keeping nova on her long lead for walks etc but when i am in a enclosed space ie 7ft fences with a 7ft gate .. i will let her play around for 5 mins off the lead i just wanted to know peoples views on on or off lead ..

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been a much debated subject and if you search on the forum will find lots of threads...I do not let my girls off lead but will do in an safe enclosed environment, like a dog park etc. But when out walking in open space they are always on the lead... Huskies are known for their lack of response to recall when something else catches their eye... I do know of a few huskies who seem to be safe off lead but then again who knows...

My motto is better to be safe than sorry!!

on lead unless its an enclosed area my dogs have 50ft leads so even when it isnt enclosed they still get to have a run around xx

On lead either normal one or the 15 meter lead for running around..we do not have any enclosed area's where we live so that will not happen...they run enough in the winter with the scooter...in my garden they are offlead..

On a long lead so they can run and explore. We are looking for a pair of 100 foot leads, at the moment we use the cable from a 'tie out stake' as a lead extender, but it is not extendable - it just is however long it is. We have recently been letting them off lead in a secure area and they LOVE it!

I would say on a lead unless in an enclosed area although I may be a bit of a hypocrite :redface1: as I am one of the ones who lets his Husky free, on beach, in park, in forest.

I would never recommend that anyone else let their Husky loose unless they are totally comfortable with the dog's training & recall. Even then, they take that risk.

Mishka lives with 2 Border Collies & follows & has learnt from them, her recall is excellent but I am careful & have eyes in my arse!

If she starts going 'Husky deaf' or I spot something, she is recalled & put back straight bck on lead, she has run after rabbits but always comes back.

I wouldn't recommend it unless your dog has exceptional recall.

I do also have a 50ft lead for use in the park in summer when there are a lot of people/distractions about.

on lead all the time. We dont have any offlead enclosures near us and to be honest I'd still be wary because I know my two won't listen to me even on a 100ft lead!!!

100ft leads on the beach too.

Went to a husky meet yesterday and there was about 12 or 13 huskies and a weimeraner. The person who owned the young husky and weimeraner had them offlead. Totally irresponsible, the husky was winding up all the other huskies who were on leads.

The husky ran past my angel who almost had a chunk out of her, and the guy had the cheek to shoot evil eyes at us!!!

I thought it would have been better manners to keep her onlead to be honest at a meet but there you go. Some people have no manners.

Always on lead unless you are in a securely enclosed area. I know this has already been said, but I think it is important to hear it again and again. :-)

I'm lucky because I have a 6 ft. fenced back yard so my boys run around in it all the time (never unsupervised though). Or maybe I'm unlucky, b/c all of the running has pretty much destroyed my grass. There are holes and bare spots all about. :lolman:

on lead all the time. We dont have any offlead enclosures near us and to be honest I'd still be wary because I know my two won't listen to me even on a 100ft lead!!!

100ft leads on the beach too.

Went to a husky meet yesterday and there was about 12 or 13 huskies and a weimeraner. The person who owned the young husky and weimeraner had them offlead. Totally irresponsible, the husky was winding up all the other huskies who were on leads.

The husky ran past my angel who almost had a chunk out of her, and the guy had the cheek to shoot evil eyes at us!!!

I thought it would have been better manners to keep her onlead to be honest at a meet but there you go. Some people have no manners.

cheek to give U evils for that when it wouldnt have happened if their dog was onlead as it wouldnt have been able 2 shoot past angel !

cheek to give U evils for that when it wouldnt have happened if their dog was onlead as it wouldnt have been able 2 shoot past angel !

well it may have been alex's offcuff comment he said "angel almost got a chunk then" looking at me! the guy looked back at him and gave him the evils.

He also had a massive go at me because christie hadnt arrived and was a bit late due to having to almost swim to us!!

He wanted me to ring her and wondered why she didnt answer it! um yeah who can answer a phone with 3 huge dogs!

rude sod he was.

We have tried off lead with one of ours who is very sociable and loves her food. Took her on the beach, far out to edge of the sea with the tide out. She was having a whale of a time then decided it was time to go explore what the locals in town had to offer. We found her in a cafe just off the beach picking bits of food off the floor, the cafe owners hadn't even noticed she had been there!!

Moral of the story. Huskies lead you into a false sense of security, just when they see you relax they go all mischievous and deaf on you.

well it may have been alex's offcuff comment he said "angel almost got a chunk then" looking at me! the guy looked back at him and gave him the evils.

He also had a massive go at me because christie hadnt arrived and was a bit late due to having to almost swim to us!!

He wanted me to ring her and wondered why she didnt answer it! um yeah who can answer a phone with 3 huge dogs!

rude sod he was.

well if he dog wasnt offlead alex would have made a comment would he lol :P

he sounds rude

i think there is a time and place for letting your dog off lead, we all know how nice it is to see them running around having fun free, but its not alwways the best time and place to do it....esspecially when group walking, unless you can control them.

by the end of the walk i had an extremely wound up dog.

i think allowing off lead is good, but as said Brian brown said exceptional recall!

i think there is a time and place for letting your dog off lead, we all know how nice it is to see them running around having fun free, but its not alwways the best time and place to do it....esspecially when group walking, unless you can control them.

by the end of the walk i had an extremely wound up dog.

i think allowing off lead is good, but as said Brian brown said exceptional recall!

me too lol

I think we can agree his dog did NOT have exceptional recall. nor did he actually watch exactly where she was all the time.

It also depends where you are even with great recall...a person not far away from me with 2 dogs got fined last week in the woods, his dogs have excellent recall but were chasing deer and the forest ranger saw it and gave him a real heavy fine and a warning that if he does it again he will lose his dogs...

This is my experience with it, as I don't think I've ever posted on the topic! When I got my first Husky, Taz, he was 9 years old and 20 lbs overweight, so wasn't really getting anywhere fast. Regardless of what I had read about the breed, I did not think he was a flight risk, and he did great for a while. I put him on better food and he started getting energy and getting into better shape, then one day we were at the park and the swans in the lake were way more interesting than me and off he went and wouldn't come back. He was relentless with swimming back and forth in the lake after these swans and it was scary because I knew eventually he would tire out in the middle of the lake. Because he was not getting out on his own, myself and a a kind citizen had to get in that dirty lake to fetch him. I'm not a good swimmer, so I was lucky the guy that waded in was and was able to catch him. That was the end of the off leash thing. I definetly learned my lesson.

Christmas Day 2006, Taz escaped my clutches in the backyard. I did not have him off leash, it was an accident.. accidents happen to everyone I think, however we were unlucky this time. I told him to come and he thought it was a game and ran around to the front of the house, into the road and got struck by a car. I've never told anyone here about this, because it made me feel so guilty (even though it was a pure accident, he was not purposely off leash), but hopefully someone else's Husky will be saved by reading this. Even though he was hit, he was extremely lucky that day... I didn't see it happen, it happened before I made it to the front of the house, but I heard it and it was probably one of the worst sounds I ever heard (I thought it killed him).. the car was going about 35-40 miles an hour and a neighbor witness said he went rolling after the hit. Spent Christmas Day at the Emergency Vet, and he only came out of it with a bruised bone on his front leg.. VERY lucky dog!

My point being, a once trustworthy dog off his leash became completely unpredictable (even as old as he was).

This is my experience with it, as I don't think I've ever posted on the topic! When I got my first Husky, Taz, he was 9 years old and 20 lbs overweight, so wasn't really getting anywhere fast. Regardless of what I had read about the breed, I did not think he was a flight risk, and he did great for a while. I put him on better food and he started getting energy and getting into better shape, then one day we were at the park and the swans in the lake were way more interesting than me and off he went and wouldn't come back. He was relentless with swimming back and forth in the lake after these swans and it was scary because I knew eventually he would tire out in the middle of the lake. Because he was not getting out on his own, myself and a a kind citizen had to get in that dirty lake to fetch him. I'm not a good swimmer, so I was lucky the guy that waded in was and was able to catch him. That was the end of the off leash thing. I definetly learned my lesson.

Christmas Day 2006, Taz escaped my clutches in the backyard. I did not have him off leash, it was an accident.. accidents happen to everyone I think, however we were unlucky this time. I told him to come and he thought it was a game and ran around to the front of the house, into the road and got struck by a car. I've never told anyone here about this, because it made me feel so guilty (even though it was a pure accident, he was not purposely off leash), but hopefully someone else's Husky will be saved by reading this. Even though he was hit, he was extremely lucky that day... I didn't see it happen, it happened before I made it to the front of the house, but I heard it and it was probably one of the worst sounds I ever heard (I thought it killed him).. the car was going about 35-40 miles an hour and a neighbor witness said he went rolling after the hit. Spent Christmas Day at the Emergency Vet, and he only came out of it with a bruised bone on his front leg.. VERY lucky dog!

My point being, a once trustworthy dog off his leash became completely unpredictable (even as old as he was).

thats a good story and hopefully saves some huskies. xx