Questions on my new husky pup

Tatipu

Hi guys, I used to have a forum acc but I guess it died and since I forgot my email associated with it, a lost cause ;-;.

Anywho, I just got my husky pup this weekend and I have a few questions about her...

I tried doing the crate training method -- throwing in her toy // food (she doesn't seem to be interested in food btw like my old dog would be barking at me and running around me once he saw food/anything in my hand)

and she doesn't like her crate? The first night she went in willingly when I put her toy in there but today she just stood at the crate door and whined. I don't know what to do when that happens because I don't want to force her in. What to do? (Or do these things just take time and patience?) She already seems to be potty trained (so quickly lol) and she usually lets me know when she needs to go if she happens to be in the crate.

Also, how would I exercise her? The breeder told me not to take her out in the public until she's had her vaccinations and stuff.(Going to vet tomorrow) I usually walk her around my backyard with her leash but is that enough? (< 10 min since she has a laceration on her shoulder from her litter mate before I took her home and I don't want it to get dirty and risk infection) And I was told not to let her run a lot because it might affect her joints later? And I've asked this question on other places and people keep yelling at me for owning a husky and not exercising her... but yeah, I'm not going to take her out in public -- risk her catching something and then be put down because she won't survive -- that's thousands of dollars of care down the drain. (Which is why I'm asking you guys since I've only owned dogs, not puppies)

Oh and how do I know if she's hungry? I currently feed her 3 times a day but she eats and walks away then 5 seconds later, comes back and eats again it's not like eating everything at once (like my other dog) I don't want to be feeding her TOO much or TOO little you know? lol.

And she's 7 weeks old (Too young,I know ;-; ) < -- oh and I mentioned this to people on other forums how I slept past my alarm and she was in the crate for 6-7 hours but she didn't pee/poo in her crate and didn't even wake up until I woke her up to go out. They said it's cruel to leave her in the crate for more than an hour to hold her bladder? Hao2Sleep? Yes I know they can't control their bladders since they're young but really? ;-; Am I being cruel D: ...

Edited by Tatipu

number 1: Luka stays in his crate for 4 hours at a time twice a day while i work. He rarely has accidents and according to my roommate pretty much sleeps the entire time. He also sleeps with me at night and sleeps for 7-8 hours without waking me up to go outside.

number 2: Luka is really still too little to go on walks so we pretty much play to exercise him. He has already learned to play fetch and loves when i throw a tennis ball for him. We also go outside and let him run around with our friend's dog. Usually by the time it's bedtime he is ready to pass out. :)

as for the crate training Luka loves his evo treats and will go in his crate easily for one of them. Luka whines for about 10-15 minutes when he goes in there, its just them wanting to go out and play. as hard as it is you just have to ignore them. it just takes time.

number 1: Luka stays in his crate for 4 hours at a time twice a day while i work. He rarely has accidents and according to my roommate pretty much sleeps the entire time. He also sleeps with me at night and sleeps for 7-8 hours without waking me up to go outside.

number 2: Luka is really still too little to go on walks so we pretty much play to exercise him. He has already learned to play fetch and loves when i throw a tennis ball for him. We also go outside and let him run around with our friend's dog. Usually by the time it's bedtime he is ready to pass out. :)

as for the crate training Luka loves his evo treats and will go in his crate easily for one of them. Luka whines for about 10-15 minutes when he goes in there, its just them wanting to go out and play. as hard as it is you just have to ignore them. it just takes time.

haha, as much as I'd like for Jelly to sleep with me, my parents won't allow it ): . But yeah, I know to ignore them when they're whining it's just when I can't play with her (when I'm doing work upstairs) I can't tell the difference if she needs to pee whine or just wants to play whine. Cause while I was away taking a test at school my brother told me she whined/cried for an hour straight while I was gone which is unusual because it usually only lasts 5-10 minutes.

And I played with Jelly a lot today and webcammed with my friend and she said Jelly looks really tired and I know she hasn't slept much since I left and crated her (webcammed right when I got home) so I played with her for about 3-4 hours before she finally fell asleep... well I fell asleep first on the floor.

I just don't know how to make her like the crate. I don't like feeding my dogs ad lib but putting a little piece of pepperoni in did the trick but she was still reluctant to go in for the treat and still whined once I closed the door on her ;-;.

I remember staying up late in night because Ghost just wouldn't go to sleep, then later after I read some stuff, I just ignored him when it was sleep time and after about 10-15 minutes of self-play he went to sleep. Sometimes it would take me to go and take him out to do his business because he didn't want to go sleep without it. So if toys don't help, take her out to pee.

Ghost doesn't have a crate, so this is not my place to speak but maybe dog treats that smell 'yummy' (bacon, bbq, dried duck liver, etc) might make her stay there. But I wouldn't use it the way that you throw the treat in and make her go in it because it seems she already knows what would await her. It won't be fast, she might need a few times to learn that it is okay to be there... I suggest not closing the door immediately, but have her in and play with her a bit, then close her inside, if she whines wait till she stops, open the crate, give her a treat and tell her how good she is.

If you give her a T-shirt or anything that has your smell on the floor in the crate might give her a little ease that somehow you are 'there' with her. Hope it helps.