Members Opinions Please

Sarah

Which would you rather have?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you rather have?

Hi All

As you know we had to move to this new software we're on now due to issues on the old one.

As a standard - instead of "likes" we had before, we now have "reputation" HOWEVER

If people prefer, the old "like" system can come back - Marc can make a modification and add it on here so really - this is up to you guys.

Which would you prefer - LIKES or REPS?

Please take a second to vote in the poll x

In reality, I don't see much difference. I may have 'liked' someones post, but now I add to their reputation in the same manner. To me it's just a matter of terminology.

I would like to see the 1:1 ratio again as far as likes/reps from anyone on the forum. I think it gives others a better idea of whether or not a particular individual has 'intelligent' or 'knowledgable' posts as opposed to 'just a bunch of likes/reps from another member who's been here a long time. Does that make any sense to anyone but me?????

What I'm trying to say is if I like/rep someone, I give them seven likes/reps. However, if Sarah gives reps, its 18 'points'. I'd rather see everyone get them one at a time.

I think the discussion was (when we changed from this before) was this 1:1 is a more accurate depiction of someones reputation (likes) on the forum and with 1:1, people couldn't pull so far ahead of the newbies that they couldn't catch up....

[MENTION=4]Sarah[/MENTION], please correct the above if I've recalled this incorrectly.

I miss the 'like' option for the simple reason that sometimes I have nothing to say but want to acknowledge the post and 'liking' it made that simple. Also I could use the' like' option on my phone but' rep' isn't available (nearly reported someone by accident the other day by trying to like their post out of habit, thank god I didn't or that would have been huuuuugely embarrassing!) If reps worked in the same way as in we can all see reps added to individual posts and who made them, then this would help, well it woud help me anyway. lol.

I quite like the variations in rep power though.

I don't really mind, but would like to see what reps/likes were given for what post - I also think when you have a rep power of 5 or 18 you think twice and wonder is this really worth so many points :confused:

Edited by Rosemary
Only on HO would Admin think of asking us what we prefer and take what we think seriously - thank you :)

I liked the likes...simply because I was able to click on it for a specific post to add...I was also super stoked that I had 2/3 as many likes as I did posts...rep...eh I dunno...just new, different...I new and different for my coffee creamer...I like old and comfy for my snuggles...so I guess this falls into snuggle preference

I agree with Becky. Al and Graham that I prefer the 1:1 system. Also not bothered if its likes or reputation. Someone may think twice before awarding say 5 or 18 but the article may be worth some recognition and the person with the high rep status may not have the facility to award less than their rep status, but I may be wrong on the last point.

I think I prefer the like system better, simply because I used to use it to acknowledge a post that made me smile, but I didn't have a reply for but I don't really mind which is picked and besides, rep power sounds awesome lol

I don't care what it's called but I feel there are too things missing right now. Firstly I liked seeing how many likes a specific post had attracted. Especially for the first post in a thread it gives a good impression about the quality of the post and/or how the community feels about it. It also makes you able to say "Hey, do you see this? I like this post!" instead of just a hidden one no one but the other person is able to see. Secondly, I think it's just more fair to only give one point per person, regardless if they've been here for 3 months or 3 years, simply because I think it makes 'newer' people feel less important than the rest.

I don't care what it's called but I feel there are too things missing right now. Firstly I liked seeing how many likes a specific post had attracted. Especially for the first post in a thread it gives a good impression about the quality of the post and/or how the community feels about it. It also makes you able to say "Hey, do you see this? I like this post!" instead of just a hidden one no one but the other person is able to see. Secondly, I think it's just more fair to only give one point per person, regardless if they've been here for 3 months or 3 years, simply because I think it makes 'newer' people feel less important than the rest.

Well said.;)

Yup, 'likes' for me too.

I liked it better when it was visible how many likes a post had a attracted. Keeping it hidden doesn't quite give you an idea of how appreciated a post is - for example, if you had a thread asking for help and a post attracting 10 likes, you knew that that was good advice as so many people had acknowledged that. As others pointed out, I too used likes to show that I had read that post, but had nothing else to add to the thread, but now you can't see this anymore.

So I think we should be able to see how many likes a post has and who has given them out.

I also preferred to see how many likes somebody had in total, not just the green bars you can see there - that doesn't really say anything to me, to be honest.

As to the rep power, I sort of get the principle, but I think that there is a huge disparity between the rep power of certain members - some members can award 18 rep points, but others only 1? I wouldn't mind this if you could only go from 1 to 5 or something like this, but if you can go as high as 18-20, it doesn't quite seem fair to me. Also, it would probably make members with a lot of rep power think twice before hitting that button - is that post really worth 20 points? I think it's best for everybody's likes to weigh the same. This way it wouldn't feel that some people's opinions are more valued than others'.

I sort of miss the old system; it was a really good "like" system, transparent and fair.

Thanks guys for the feedback marc is working on putting LIKES in now instead of the reps but wanted to hold off until we saw what peeps wanted - will let you all know once it's been changed x

I liked it better when it was visible how many likes a post had a attracted. Keeping it hidden doesn't quite give you an idea of how appreciated a post is - for example, if you had a thread asking for help and a post attracting 10 likes, you knew that that was good advice as so many people had acknowledged that. As others pointed out, I too used likes to show that I had read that post, but had nothing else to add to the thread, but now you can't see this anymore.

So I think we should be able to see how many likes a post has and who has given them out.

I also preferred to see how many likes somebody had in total, not just the green bars you can see there - that doesn't really say anything to me, to be honest.

As to the rep power, I sort of get the principle, but I think that there is a huge disparity between the rep power of certain members - some members can award 18 rep points, but others only 1? I wouldn't mind this if you could only go from 1 to 5 or something like this, but if you can go as high as 18-20, it doesn't quite seem fair to me. Also, it would probably make members with a lot of rep power think twice before hitting that button - is that post really worth 20 points? I think it's best for everybody's likes to weigh the same. This way it wouldn't feel that some people's opinions are more valued than others'.

I sort of miss the old system; it was a really good "like" system, transparent and fair.

All of this.

I take the 'likes' as a visible way to say "I agree!" And I know and like that some people use it as confirmation and "yep, I read and acknowledge this post but haven't anything more to add." I like seeing how many people agree with a given post.

I also find that there are some members with whom we tend to agree more than others. So if I read 3 separate threads and agree with the same person in all of them I can only reward them one time?

I also agree that the disparity in the point system leaves something to be desired...

What about the 'spreading the luurve' Thingy u mentioned yesterday. The bit where we cannot repeat vote one person all the time. Does that remain when we convert back?

no it will revert back to as it was :)