Whats with people wanting at least one litter?

Michelle Melsom

I was talking to a friend the other day that Ive had since high school and she was talking about coming to visit me with her lab x puppy and then she said " just make sure your dog doesn't get at her yet lol"...I just kind of blankly stared at the text and said " The Kennel Club does not condone cross breeding and neither do I" and she just replied with " aww ok" So I told her that its just adding to the pet population and how there are too many dog/puppies being put down or in shelters because of just randomly breeding. She told me that sometimes people end up with accidental litters like the one she got her puppy from. So ofc I said that's why you get them fixed at a young age so you don't run into these problems especially since when they are still very young and have their first heat and end up with an "accident" it could very well kill them. She said " what if I want her to have 1 litter?"....errggghhhh so I told her there is no benefit to it she said " except I could have all 5 puppies of my own" I said ok if you plan on keeping all 5 for 13+ years :P then she stopped texting me. I don't understand why people keep thinking all it takes is a boy and a girl to have puppies and that they should at least have one litter.. there is so much more to it >.< I'm already mad at this friend for ditching me. She was supposed to take me to a dog show I needed to go to said she would pick me up that day and she never showed or text me back for a month until she started having marital problems again and then she was talking to me again -.- but is it wrong if I consider not being as good of friends with somebody if they are choosing to just randomly breed their dog?

People like that have no concept what it would actually be like raising 5 puppies all at the same time...and have no idea the responsibility breeding really is. Sometimes you can talk some sense into them and sometimes you cant...but I'm like you it does change my friendship feeling toward the people who can't be reasoned with. Its one of those things that I feel strongly about so it's no surprise that I have strong reactions to those around me that are so careless or ignorant.

It sounds like there's more than just a disagreement on breeding ideas in this friendship. No offense but I've dropped friends that have done this to me simply because I've gotten tired of being their venting agent when it conveniently suits them and they don't return the favor at all. Sounds harsh but honestly like Sarah said I've got my own issues and that's something I don't have time for.

On another note if I may add I do have a very good friend who disagrees with my decision to spay Kiana. We've had long and sometimes heated arguments about the reasons to spay/neuter and why he doesn't approve of it. It has nothing to do with breeding though. We've agreed to disagree and we are still very good friends. He even helped keep her calm for the first week with me so me and Diesel both didn't lose our minds lol. Point is really good friends will butt heads when your opinions differ but they will compromise and let it be when they realize you are steadfast in your beliefs. THOSE are the ones you want to keep around for a good long time they are few and far between these days :)

I agree! I have a great friend and we've been friends through the good and the bad times...about 15 years, so that would be most of my life so far!

Sure, we disagree on a lot of things, but when it comes right down to it...he's there for me and I'm there for him. Dad always teases me about it, but its a plutonic relationship...we've established that when things started to get awkward during puberty!