husky with seizures?

murdoc

does anyone have or know a husky that had/has seizures? if so, can you tell me a little more about it or the experiences you dealt with?

murdoc is a little over 1 and he had his first seizure early saturday morning. it lasted for about 30 seconds so it wasnt a major one. he was confused after the seizure but it took him about 10 minutes to get back to his regular self. (the nurse i spoke to on the phone said it is normal for a dog to be confused after a seizure and it may take up to 15 minutes to a couple hours for the dog to get back to normal). i took him to the emergency hospital and the doctor there said she did not recommend doing any tests because it was his first seizure. she told us to monitor him for the next couple of days to see if he has another one. i took him to his doctor today and ended up doing a blood work and a urine test to eliminate possible causes of the seizure he had (ie. digesting toxins, lead paint, liver/kidney problems). both the blood work and the urine test came up negative so we still do not know the cause of his seizure. the doctor said theres a chance that a dog, like humans, can have a seizure once and will not have another one ever again. he wants us to monitor him for the next couple of months to see if he will have another one and if he does, then we will have to put him on medication. i cant help but worry! im afraid he might have epilepsy because the tests came out negative but it is still too early to tell.. :cry1:

post-6383-13586039851802_thumb.jpg

post-6383-13586039851802_thumb.jpg

My Taz had one seizure in the 5 1/2 years I owned him (I'm not sure if it ever happened in his previous home), and it was very scary! I had never witnessed one, and it was not as violent as I thought a seizure was, so I was not sure what was going on, but figured it out. He was drooling a lot (which he has never done), and very disoriented.. he sat there and swayed and acted like he was blind.. I waved roast beef in front of him to see if he was 'there' and nothing. It lasted about 5 minutes and he was fine after, and it never happened again. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is just a one time thing with Murdoc and not epilepsy.. please keep us posted as you find out more!

Our Sabre started having fits when we had had him about five months (approx. 2 years old). We took him to the vets who said it was likely it was epilepsy but that he didn't really want to do anything about it, as if they are put on medication they are on it for life. Sabre continued to have fits approximately every 3 months, sometimes longer, sometimes less, for about two years. He now hasn't had a fit for over a year. When he did have a fit they would last approximately 1-2 minutes and he would be very 'spaced out' when he came out of them. Could sometimes take him all day to come round properly. Hope Murdoc is OK

well its been about 3 days and he hasn't had one yet. he's been perfectly normal so far so hopefully *crosses fingers* it was just a one time thing and we wont have to deal with it ever again. :) i will definitely keep posting if his status changes.

murdoc wants to thank everyone for caring :heartbeat:

post-6383-13586040186603_thumb.jpg

post-6383-13586040186603_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

My wife is an epileptic.She has a sleeping seizure disorder. Matter of fact, our old husky could tell that she was gonna seize. He would lay next to her and take the abuse of hershaking against him. Even shove his head under her to pick her up off the floor. Enough about me though, your pup could very well only have that one. If the seizures are less than a minute, there isn't much damage done. If your husky ever goes longer than 3 minutes, rush her to the er. I am sorry you had to see this as it is so scary the first time. Usually, the one in the seizure has no idea what is going on. They can not see, and may be a ls to hear you. Let them know you are there with your voice. Hope it stops, and good luck.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

If you got him from a breeder you need to let him/her know what happened. My b/f has seizures but not all the time he has a low threshold and it is caused by stress or medications that dont mix well. Marius always knows when they are coming. Dogs are the same way tho, could be caused by stress. I'm glad hes feeling better :)

I have a sleep seizure disorder and have for 23 years. I am medicated and my last husky could detect them and he would wake me before they began. He was a life saver. Keep in mind that your dog is scared, he can most likely hear so continually talk to him in a soothing voice. Muh like a baby he will know if you are distressed so try to stat calm. It very well may take him a while to come round. Up to 24 hours to get back to his old self. There are meds for him if needed. Dialantin is often perscibed for dogs with these disorders and because this med has been on the market so long the cost is fairly low. There are side effects with meds though so you need to weigh this. How often are the seizures coming, how intense are they. As posted previously anything over 3 min you need to seek emergeny help. Good luck, my prayers go out to you and your dog.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

• 3 weeks later...

An update on murdoc:He had another seizure this past sunday. :( This time it was at around 9:30am. He was sleeping on his back and woke up (flipping to his side-which woke me up) and walked out of his cage. He stood by my bed and looked at me for a couple seconds and then walked towards the end of my bed, where he always lays. A couple minutes later, he got up and started to make vomiting noises. I quickly got up and rubbed his back and told him he was okay. He threw up a squeaker and an arm from one of his dolls. Shortly after, he fell over and started having the seizure. The seizure lasted about 15 seconds. I kept rubbing his stomach and lightly holding his neck so he would not hit his head against my bookshelf. I also kept telling him he was okay and not to be afraid because I was here. After the seizure ended, he laid there for about a minute (as he did last time). I told him once again he was okay and to relax. I got up and called my sister and boyfriend to inform them murdoc had another seizure. While I was making the phone calls, I called out to him and asked if he was okay. Murdoc looked at me and remembered me. He was not confused as he was the first time (which is a very good thing I hope). I took him to his doctor shortly after. The doctor wanted him to stay a couple hours for observation and she wanted to do a blood work and an X-Ray. After about 5 hours of observation, the doctor said I could pick him up. The blood work and X-Ray came out normal and she said his behavior leads her to believe he does not have epilepsy. She said I could do a CT scan of his brain to see if there are any problems there but that would cost thousands of dollars and I honestly do not have the budget for that. She does not believe it is an issue with his brain though due to his normal behavior. I brought in the stuff he threw up and the doctor just looked at it and did not do any tests on it. She said if murdoc has another seizure within the next 30 days, he will probably be put on seizure medication. She does not recommend the medication at this time because his seizure was not within 30 days of each other. I contacted the breeders and his parents do not have a history of seizures. Do you guys think the stuff he threw up could possibly have anything to do with the 2nd seizure? Do you think I should get a 2nd opinion from another doctor? I am frustrated because he is perfectly healthy (according to the doctors) but this is the 2nd time he had a seizure!

I don't have any personal experience with this so I can only point you to people who do. Have you started keeping seizure records?

Seizure Record to Print and use

More information on dog seizures:

My Pet Ed blog

Metabolic and toxic causes of canine seizure disorders: A retrospective study of 96 cases.

Canine Epilepsly Guardian Angels

Not a fun thing to experience with your furbaby. We had a Cairn Terrier years ago that had seizures. Later found out from the breeder that it was common in their line. I honestly would talk to your vet a bit more before looking for a second opinion.

Sent from my HTC with forumrunner.

Meeshkas had a few siezures. They seem to be stress related with her. She is a very timid wee soul but she was attacked by another 2 dogs last year and the siezures started just after that when she was in a situation she was unsure about. She took them a couple of times a week. I was scared to leave her. We were recomended to give her camomille flower which is a dry herb u mix with some food 3 times a day. She hasnt had a siezure now for a couple of months. Were even getting her to go down the beach running with the boys now its great. We still worry about her taking more but for now all is good :D

my previous dog had siezures, he had epilepsy, this didnt start however till he was about 5, and sometimes would go months without one.

We didnt take the medication, because his was so far apart.

he would come find us if he was about to have one, i would move him into a safe area if we had time, if not would put pillows around him to prevent hurting himself, get a bowl of water, for when he came round so he didnt have to get up, and a towel, cause he used to dribble.

i would leave him to it till he started to come out of it, and i would then re assure him, everything was ok and to "stay" until he was less ridged, and more relaxed, he would tend to sleep the rest of the day, but would stay close.

Its not nice to see, but it gets easier because you see the signs, and are less shocked about how destressing it can be.

its not difficult to live with in my opinion. you get used to it being part of life. but then my boy only had then every couple of months, and apart from the time he feel down the stairs trying to get to us, he never hurt himself.

as long as he has plenty of water, and is in a safe place while your out he should be fine, (if it turns out to be epilepsy) make sure the water is up out the way when he is lying down, as his head could land in the water and being that they are not "aware" he could drown....they have no control of themselves when they are going through this, Monty went to the loo once, didnt tell him though, just cleaned it up :)

Hopefully there is nothing seriously wrong with your pup. x