Opinions: Tattoo's or Microchips?

Sora

So I've been doing some reading, and I was wanting your opinion.

What's your opinion on Microchipping? Or Tattooing?

We're expecting our puppy in a couple of weeks, and as much as I'd like to think she's never going to get out or run away, there is still a chance. What I've been reading though about microchipping is sometimes the scanner doesnt pick them up. So would it be better to just get her tattoo'd? or do both?

Can anyone help me out with pro's and cons, or have any advice?

Thanks!!

I personally love tattoos on myself.

For dogs, my boys are chipped. Where do you live? Tattooing was never mentioned as an option for me. I do know racehorses in MD are tattooed for ID purposes though. Doesn't seem to hurt them in any way. I feel both might be overkill.

Anyone elase have any opinions on this?

I would personally go for a microchip rather than a tattoo, especially for a husky.

Microchips

Pros: easy to implant, very popular.

Cons: can migrate and it may take a while to be detected, very rarely can cause health problems.

Tattoos

Pros: they're permanent and won't migrate like a microchip, can't cause any tumors/problems

Cons: painful, can fade over time

We have chipped ours, we couldn't even consider a tattoo. He needed to be chipped in order to get his passport so that he could travel in Europe. As far as I am aware, they don't accept tattoo as identification means for the pet passport.

Then again, the it can require a great deal of patience to find the chip sometimes.

I'm originally from Canada, and tattooing is very popular there, and is usually done when the puppy is spayed/neutered. But I agree about the fading our previous dogs faded to a point where you could barely read it anymore, looked like just a big inkblot.

I actually train horses. and Race horses (standardbreds anyway) are usually freeze branded, which is pretty painful too but It never fades and makes their fur permanently white. :(

Thanks for all the opinions everybody. Have all of you noticed a lot of migration with the microchips?

as far as i know we dont tattoo dogs over here so mine are all micro chipped , none of my dogs chips have migrated

the only problem with tattoos that i can think of , is that huskies are VERY furry and dont really have any bear skin to make it visible (even if shaved off for the tattoo it would grow back

Thanks for all the opinions everybody. Have all of you noticed a lot of migration with the microchips?

I guess it depends on the skill of the person implanting it, but ours has migrated quite a bit (it was supposed to be between the shoulders, but had moved to the right side). Last time we scanned it in the vets office it took a while to find it. Not that long a time, probably under 5 minutes, but I think that's still not very quick. However, I could imagine that somebody else could just scan the area just a few times, not find anything and then just assume he is not chipped.

The vets near me reccommends tattooing and microchipping. Personally, I was content with just microchipping. I have heard from someone who's chip has moved down the body slightly but it was still detectible.

If you microchip get the home again brand. We have to get Calvin rechipped soon because his first vet put in this really cheap brand and now it has migrated all the way down by his leg. From what I have been told home again doesnt shift or migrate.

We got Sherlock micro-chipped when he was neutered and they gave us a tag to attach to his collar as well that tells whoever finds him that he is micro-chipped. I didn't even think about it migrating --- I'll have to get his looked at next time we go to the vet and make sure it's in the right spot!

We plan on getting Niko chipped. I've certainly heard of tattooing though. I heard they usually put it on the ear but I wouldn't know much about it because I've always looked at microchipping over anything else.

Well microchips are now used more then tattoos, I would have loved to do both but Marius just has a microchip. Microchips can migrate and be hard to find after that however you can take them into the vet for a yearly checkup to see where it is. Tattoos are easier to see obv so people know they are there but they can wear out and become fuzzy and hard to read

Mine are already micro chipped but I am also going to have them tattooed, they do it just inside the ear. My main reason for the tattoo is to put potential dog thieves off, they get so much attention and you do bump into some dodgy characters from time to time that are always very interested in what I paid for the dogs. That coupled with the two recent attacks on dog owners with the attacker trying to take the dogs has reinforced my decision.

For lost dogs I still think micro chipping is the best as tattoos do fade and blur with time but I think they have the potential to put off possible thieves.