What scares your furkids ?

valkyries

The other day I was walking my two to the pet food store to stock up on food, we were just outside the shop and some motorbikes cruised past, loud as anything.

The dogs didn't seem fazed so we carried on walking, we crossed over to go into the store and Shadow started writhing around in his harness like a wild animal, he was petrified, he's been in there before and used to love all the sights and smells and was friends with the staff, even they mentioned how strange his behaviour was, I ended up having to leave him with my brother while I went in with Storm, now he's scared of even getting near that side of the road when we pass not sure if it was the motorbikes that did it but can't think what else it may have been.

I have since took him back down there one on one with treats on hand and tons of praise, we managed to get close enough to the shop so that he could sit outside for a bit, after about 10 minutes I managed to get him in the shop with a bit of reassurance but then he was just as scared to leave, we haven't been in there since but it's something we're working on.

On a lighter note, Storm is scared of water:jawdrop:

I know most run from the hoover lol but all 3 of mine run when i'm using salotape, some thing about the noise when i pull some off xxx

Lol... I just realised mine is absolutely terrified by sellotape as well :D Must be something about the noise. When he sees the sellotape coming out, he is very cautious... but when we start pulling it off, he starts running.

He used to be scared of the vacuum and the hair drier, but he won't run away anymore, I guess he's gotten used to it.

I think Kiska's done pretty well considering she seems to have a naturally nervous personality, I've tried to tackle this from the start though. She's petrified of fireworks which was very unexpected and sudden - she's fine with all loud noises and bangs, even the farmer's air guns nearby, but when it was firework season last year the first one she heard set her off in a panic. From about 9 months of age (obviously as she entered into the characteristic GSD 2nd fear period) she became scared of men and started barking at the front door. She's gotten a lot better with men now and if they approach her the right way then she's fine, it's only loud, animated men or men who are too quick to approach her or me that set her off now. If a man comes over calmly and lets Kiska choose the pace then she's fine. Children also scare her but this was something she learned - when she was 11 weeks old I was walking her through town and a 3 year old girl ran up to her, screamed, grabbed her round the neck and picked her up, hugging and squeezing her. Kiska rightfully screamed back and freaked out. I had to carry her through town as she was shaking for about 20 minutes. That incident has stayed with her and now she gets very anxious around small children if they're doing anything more than sleeping or standing quietly. That little girl's mum doesn't know it, but through her lack of common sense in teaching her daughter how to properly approach a dog, I now potentially have years of work ahead of me with Kiska and has made me ever having kids quite difficult.

Other than that she's not really scared of anything. She's not scared of any other category of people, not scared of any dogs, traffic noise, the hoover, or any other common fearful thing :)

Rico doesn't seem that scared off anything he is so layed back..

Mia is completely the opposite she is scared off the Vac and when I've got the hose pipe on she used to be scared off the rumble dryer but seems used to that now.. She is also more jumpy with loud any sudden loud noises where Rico must be deaf.!! Haha..

From Angie, Rico and Mia.. :-)

With Timber, its hot air baloons apparently. Maybe there were lots where he used to live (near the Top Gear track)

I'm not sure that Molly is scared of the hoover or if she hates it as she barks at it and chews the hose

Diamond's afraid of the sound of loud footsteps of a person that he can't see =\ that's the only fear I can't erase up until today. He's fine with any kind of person if he can see them, but if someone is chasing him (either intentionally or unintentionally) he will freak out =\ but he's not afraid of anything else. Thunder, fireworks, motorbikes/cars, the vacuum cleaner... He's okay with all those

Nailgun. I have a finish nailer that uses butane and a battery for ignition. Used it recently, finishing the trim in the kitchen. Pull the trigger and BANG! Sounds like a gun going off.

Sent from my HTC Desire using forumrunner.