When breeding goes bad...

Removed #2

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might sound naive here, but I don't really think he should be excused with the "financial issues" thing =\ if he knows money isn't looking good, he can always find his dogs a new home and when he's completely out of money at least there won't be such huge amount of starving dogs. I don't want to judge him though, poor guy something terrible must have happened to him :( still, that excuse alone doesn't sound right to me..

And [MENTION=7593]Jerad[/MENTION]

Unfortunately it's not always as simple as that. Anyone on here can attest to how hard huskies are to rehome, and while he might have been able to find some homes/rescues to take some of them, I can almost guarantee that Humane Society would not have taken them all if it hadn't been a seizure. The dude in Canada tried that and was completely turned away - they told him all the dogs were unadoptable and would have to be euthanized so they wouldn't take them.

Not to say this guy should not have at least attempted it - I remember a guy in BC did a successful viral Facebook blitz to rehome 30 horses that he needed to get rid of - and most of them were even sold, not adopted! - but even in a best case scenario he might have been incapable of finding care for them. Don't know what happened here, but it is frustrating to know that help is often not given until it's nearly too late!

And @Jerad

Unfortunately it's not always as simple as that. Anyone on here can attest to how hard huskies are to rehome, and while he might have been able to find some homes/rescues to take some of them, I can almost guarantee that Humane Society would not have taken them all if it hadn't been a seizure. The dude in Canada tried that and was completely turned away - they told him all the dogs were unadoptable and would have to be euthanized so they wouldn't take them.

Not to say this guy should not have at least attempted it - I remember a guy in BC did a successful viral Facebook blitz to rehome 30 horses that he needed to get rid of - and most of them were even sold, not adopted! - but even in a best case scenario he might have been incapable of finding care for them. Don't know what happened here, but it is frustrating to know that help is often not given until it's nearly too late!

yes, but it is as simple as the breeder should NEVER have let the numbers of dogs increase to over 60. He is responsible for that completely.

yes, but it is as simple as the breeder should NEVER have let the numbers of dogs increase to over 60. He is responsible for that completely.

Oh, I agree completely. This has brainless irresponsibility, cruelty and downright ignorance written all over it. I'm just saying it's unfortunate, but when people do find themselves in a situation like this it's not as simple as just giving the dogs away. It's a rock and a hard place, so to speak, and while the human is solely responsible for letting the situation get to the point it's at now, it's the dogs who suffer because of it, and the person ends up in the same kind of quandary as the BC man - you're keeping them in cruelty or killing them in cruelty. Though, again, in the BC case, the employee who had to do the dirty work became the scapegoat - in this situation dude's got no one to blame but himself. Truly I don't care what his issue is, financial or otherwise, he needs to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, sadly lacking as that is.

Oh, I agree completely. This has brainless irresponsibility, cruelty and downright ignorance written all over it. I'm just saying it's unfortunate, but when people do find themselves in a situation like this it's not as simple as just giving the dogs away. It's a rock and a hard place, so to speak, and while the human is solely responsible for letting the situation get to the point it's at now, it's the dogs who suffer because of it, and the person ends up in the same kind of quandary as the BC man - you're keeping them in cruelty or killing them in cruelty. Though, again, in the BC case, the employee who had to do the dirty work became the scapegoat - in this situation dude's got no one to blame but himself. Truly I don't care what his issue is, financial or otherwise, he needs to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, sadly lacking as that is.

completely agree with everything you said.

Well MUSHR(Minnesota Unwanted Siberian Husky Rescue) called me this evening regarding me fostering for them. They are really confused by this whole situation, Fond Du Lac needed places for these dogs to go but instead of sending them a Rescue, sent them to shelters that didn't have time and space for these dogs. They're supposed to be picking up 3 dogs from 2 shelters for a total of 6 dogs and they're going to cat access them for me and if there's a cat friendly husky we'll be fostering for them :)