treadmill training

Sleepys13

Our Keeva runs on the treadmill on his own. I just started by getting him on it without the treadmill moving and then rewarding him with a little cube of chicken (his favourite treat). I did that a couple of times. Then i started the treadmill on the lowest speed for a couple of minutes and then gave him another cube of chicken as a reward. Then when he was comfortable being on the treadmill while going, i got to up the speed to a good pace for him. It took about a week of slowly introducing him to it. He loves it. Our other husky Meika hates it. If she needs exercise ( because of her hips and if its raining outside) i will put her on it on the lowest speed but i do have to hang onto her collar the whole time to keep her on it. Thank goodness its very rare for me to have to put her on there. Keeva is the one that has all the energy and looks forward to getting on it :)

I trained Suka to go on the treadmill.

Like above, I made the treadmill seem like a 'happy place' at first. I left it off and hid treats all around the treadmill (on the treadmill, etc) for him to find. After a little of this, I turned the treadmill on. He didn't freak out or anything at the noise or movement, so again, another treat.

Then, I coaxed him onto the treadmill while it was OFF. Another treat. While doing this, I taught him the command 'On' and 'Off'.

Then, with the help of treats again, I coaxed him onto the treadmill while it was on and running. The speed was very low (0.5 miles/hour). Every time he took a step, he'd get a treat. If he wouldn't walk with the treadmill, he'd get no treats or rewards. Rinse and repeat this for a few days, gradually increasing the amount of steps he has to take before he gets a treat. Eventually, I faded out the treats.

He doesn't go on it too often, though. It's a human treadmill, so its not long enough for his strides...

I looked at a lot of Youtube videos to help me get started, you might want to do that too. It helps to have a visual aid...