teaching "fetch"

zeus2011

I would love to help but I have never been able to master it with Kodi. He does 'run in the direction the ball was thrown' but then he just runs past it lol.

Best of luck to you and if you have any tips after please post them up :up:

Can't say I've ever taught it but whenever Shadow plays this is normally the game he enjoys. All I do is encourage him to get the toy and bring it back by keeping things exciting like lots of encouragement as if you're talking to a kid learning something new. When he brings it back I say good boy fetch in an overly excited voice and then say "ready?". at which point he waits for me to throw the toy and repeat the process, most times he brings the toy back to play tug of war but I tell him to leave and then throw it when he's ready, that way he's playing the game I decided on as well. I've never actively tried to teach Shadow this but he does it more naturally than Storm who won't even entertain the idea of "fetch", I think it really depends on the dog tbh but I would say it's certainly a possibility for Zeus to learn, good luck :up:

Nanook will fetch, we did it with a tennis ball and a bag full of treats lol. We would throw the ball while shouting fetch, once she picked it up we got very excited asking her "fetch" and when she came back to us we exchange a treat for the ball saying "fetch" again. Took a while this one but got there in the end. Tho that said she also has her times when she will fetch like twice and then refuse, just looks at us like "u threw the ball u go get it if u want it back" lol - dogs who'd have em eh? haha

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I'm not sure of any tips, as it kind of caught on with Echo and she learned to love it! I had to work with her on 'Drop It' with toys, as she was very possessive of them.. once she learned she was going to get it back and get to chase it, that's where she became quite obsessed with fetch and loves me touching and throwing her toys now and bringing them back for me to throw again. It just seems like it wasn't taught, it was just something that she really enjoyed and wanted to keep doing. Taz was not the same though, he was in it for the chase - he would run after it, and either grab it and play with it by himself, or just run right past it.

A lot of Huskies get bored with playing fetch. Our Zoya will fetch twice and then she's onto other things.

Sent from my HTC Desire using forumrunner.

Blaze does indeed play fetch , whenever i threw a ball n he would pick it up i would call him to me , id then ask him to 'give' or 'drop' the ball and then i would throw it too him again

i think he soon caught on that if he come over to me the fun would continue , he now sometimes comes and puts the ball in my lap for me to throw for him

LOL I'm with Nikki Kiana fetches like my friend's pug haha funny how both me and my friend have ball oriented dogs now :D I taught her very early though like a week after I got her home. It's been so long but if I remember correctly you start out small. Sit down with the pup in front of you in a sit and roll it to him. If he picks it up praise and treat then take the ball and roll it again it didn't take her long to learn it because she has a good prey drive.

It also helps if you introduce the ball in a way they want it like excited voice and saying funny stuff to get them interested in it.

I hope this helps a little some of the tricks I've taught I've gotten off of youtube videos as well so you could take a peak on their and see some other techniques if this doesn't work.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a similar problem with Loki, he'd run after the ball but then he was more interested in chewing it to pieces than bringing it back. We used treats and heaps of fuss and praise when he brought it back and now he'd fetch from morning till night if he could find a willing participant!

Don't get me wrong…he's no lab, he's very strong willed- maybe persevere with praise and treats, you might be lucky :)

Fox's versions of Fetch:

1:1

Me: Throw ball.

Fox: Look at me like I'm stupid

1:2

Me: Throw ball

Fox: Look at other dog...if other dog wants ball must get it first and bring back to mommy. Willing to repeat 2 or 3 times...then mom obviously knows I'm better at this game than other dog...so now that I'm bored other dog can have the ball I don't want anymore.