Confused about feeding?

Shaiasaur

I never suggest free feeding a cat anyway, especially with dry food as it contains far too much protein, grains and not enough moisture. I have a cat myself, three years, and I feed him on a wet only diet for many health related reasons - they are carnivores, need a lot of moisture from their food since they are not heavy drinkers and the fact that the wet food I chose contains a high meat content and so giving the correct ratios. I feed Leo three to fives times a day, which is natural for cats as they can feed up too ten with one single prey, and keep his food bowl upstairs away from Kenai, my beautiful husky.

I know this an all husky forum but as I'm currently searching for the best food for my Kenai, I happened to stumble upon this thread and so was just curious since there was a few bits brought up about cats :)

xx

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I free fed my dogs they would be obese!

I also like to teach my dogs that food is a resource that I control. My youngest dog 99% of the time gets food only through training and never eats from a bowl. If she was free fed and never had to work for anything she'd be fat and miserable (and I'd be pulling my hair out!) :lolman:

I never suggest free feeding a cat anyway, especially with dry food as it contains far too much protein, grains and not enough moisture. I have a cat myself, three years, and I feed him on a wet only diet for many health related reasons - they are carnivores, need a lot of moisture from their food since they are not heavy drinkers and the fact that the wet food I chose contains a high meat content and so giving the correct ratios. I feed Leo three to fives times a day, which is natural for cats as they can feed up too ten with one single prey, and keep his food bowl upstairs away from Kenai, my beautiful husky.

I know this an all husky forum but as I'm currently searching for the best food for my Kenai, I happened to stumble upon this thread and so was just curious since there was a few bits brought up about cats :)

xx

The dry food that I feed is Acana, with zero grain product:

http://www.championpetfoods.com/acana/show-product.php?formulation=pfc

and Nutrience Dental Health to attempt to help his teeth:

http://www.nutrience.ca/cat/product/132/all-natural-adult-supreme/

He picks at his food constantly throughout the day - I don't put it down then take it away like I would the dog's food. I really feel like I should get in the habit of feeding him wet food more often, I kinda just keep forgetting to buy it! I won't go exclusively to wet food though, because for all that he's a porker he's also picky, and he doesn't always eat everything and there would be too much wastage - with the dry food I just dump the uneaten portion back into the bin.