bathing question .. need help!

lukahsmommies

just a quick question about lukah. he has been peeing and going #2 in his crate a lot lately and has gotten it all over him. we've read on this forum that huskies are clean dogs and shouldn't be bathed but once a year, otherwise it will strip his oils. my question is, what do we do in a situation like we're having at the moment?

if my luka is just absolutely disgusting, i give him a bath anyways. but if he's not THAT dirty, i invested in some spritzer from my local pet supply store which sanitizes him and makes him smell good. (i like the coconut-lime scent) that way i'm not constantly bathing him.

this is what i use... they have multiple scents....

http://pawnaturals.com/pet-grooming-1/spritz-wipes/nootie-dog-spritzer.html

I bath mine maybe twice a year - they swim a lot. In your case I would definitely bath him with a mild shampoo, you don't want him licking himself clean if he has messed in the crate and got it on himself. As Ice & Shadow says, even a clean water bath will do the job.

I think when people refer to huskies as being clean dogs, they are referring to things like dirt. If Phil gets muddy we let him sit in his crate with the door shut. In an hour or two, we let him out and all the mud is on the floor of his crate. Somehow it just slides off - probably related to the oils in his coat. Anyway after that, we just vacuum the crate.

One time he did end up frolicking in our shiba-inu's poop and after a bout of diarrhea his rear-end was looking quite unpleasant, so I gave him a bath. I probably bathe him a couple times a year. When he starts to blow his coat is a good time for a warm bath; it helps to loosen the undercoat. I blow him dry with the "blow" setting on the shop-vac. Works!