hi all...new to site

ady

hi there....my names ady and i have an 8 month old siberian called storm....( thought we were original...how wrong are we? ) :).

turns out his dad was called storm aswell...

i was wondering how much we should be feeding him.he is currently on bakers puppy,after being weaned off proplan...we are feeding 3 times a day...7am,12 and around 5.currently getting just under 200g of the dry food..is this enough?..too much ???...just wanted to be sure.

the not so little fella is full of beans,growing well.he gets 3 walks a day (which have had the distance increased slowly over time ).we have access to a great big field and farm tracks just over the road,which he loves.also there is an enclosed area approx 40 metres x20 metres.no one uses it so storm gets to have a run off the lead each day.

each walk covers approx 2 miles...

basically with all this exercise are we feeding him the right amount ?...he also gets a few treats thru out the day...only a few tho..dont wanna spoil him or get him used to it.

he loves the rawhide chewy bones,they last a few days ;)

i grew up with dogs and the last we had was a pedigree border collie from a farm in cornwall.so i am used to dogs and their needs.especially active intelligent dogs.

storm is a white/wolf grey with both eyes blue.white faced with no mask,just a bit of eye liner :).

i'm so glad we got him,just wanna make sure we do everything right as never had this breed before.

any ideas/knowledge will be gratefully recieved...

thanks in advance

ady

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Ady, first off welcome to the forum :wave:

It sounds like you are doing all of the right things for Storm, I'm sure someone a little more knowledgable can advice you further but to me it sounds as if he is a fit and healthy lad.

P.s - Have you got any pictures to share?

Hey and welcome.

Bakers is not the best food to feed, since its full of colourings and additives. Kinda like feeding a kid e numbers everyday.

Can we see some pics?

P.s. I thought I was being original too when I named my Storm lol

Welcome. From the US, so I can't equate grams to our measure of cup. As long as the stools are firm, and rib and hip bones don't stick out, and the tummy ticks up toward the rear, the amount is probably fine. Also not familiar with the brand you are feeding, so rely on the advice of others. We really would like to see some pics.

Sent from my HTC Desire using forumrunner.

Welcome. From the US, so I can't equate grams to our measure of cup.

200g is just under a 1/2 a cup. :)

and Welcome to the forums!!! can't wait to see pics of your husky as well! To me it sounds like you're doing a fantastic job with your pup!! I'm in the USA too so don't know much about the brand of dog food you are using. The best thing to do is get the best dog food that you can afford. The better the food, usually the higher the price, but not always. Take a look at the ingredients, you want some form of "meat" to be the first ingredient, not grains, or something else.

Hope this helps!!

=D

Welcome to the forum! Unfortunately it's hard to determine how much is too much when you're using grams :S I just measure Diamond's daily food intake by cups... But then again everyone uses different size of cups so yea it's a bit hard x) anyways bear in mind that huskies don't need as many food as other breeds and they prefer grain-free dog food due to their tummy which is often upset =\

Looking forward to see Storm's pics!

welcome to the pack :D

Agree with what others have said about Bakers - when i rehomed Koda he was on it and was hyper as heck sheesh! LOL he's a lot more easier to handle (although he doesn't often seem it lol) on a better quality of food.

Bakers is full of fillers so you have to feed more therefore making it more expensive than feeing something like Wainwrights

have a look at the analysis on the bag things like ash, wheat, corn maize, cereals are to be avoided.

Have a look here - http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=424&cat=7

and have a look to compare against other brands,

Anyway - enough of that - Where's the pics :D :D :D

thanks for the welcomes and advice....

how do i post pics on here then ???...is it a photobucket etc job,then post the link like i do on my fav fish keeping forum??...

what is the most popular food....??...we have a nestle purina factory just down the road..shame my bro-in-law just got laid off coz you can a 15kg of their top food for £6......:(

Not sure about the brand Bakers, I'm from the US. However Purina Pro Plan is not a bad choice. I feed mostly raw, but I fill my vegetable/fruit mix with Purina One Sensitive systems (Salmon). It doesn't beat the taste of raw chicken, beef, and lamb... however they seem to enjoy it without any issues.

WELCOME to the forum.... we are changing Loki's food when he comes home next week,, slowly taking him of Bakers, i have got wainwrights from pets at home,, they are all free from additives etc... looks really good an you dont need to give them so much :)

http://imageshack.us/content.php?page=blogpost&files=img443/5972/dscf2068d.jpg....

hope this works...cant seem to upload from pc at the mo.....will get some more up to date pics soon....

we are looking at the suggested foods at the mo.the local kennel owner ( where he goes to doggy day care)..said the same about bakers too....full of E numbers and crap.....what do you think of the skinners food.looks like top stuff...anyone had experience of it ???

Not sure about the brand Bakers, I'm from the US. However Purina Pro Plan is not a bad choice. I feed mostly raw, but I fill my vegetable/fruit mix with Purina One Sensitive systems (Salmon). It doesn't beat the taste of raw chicken, beef, and lamb... however they seem to enjoy it without any issues.

A raw diet is a very good choice in my opinon. Purina Pro Plan is an OK food but there are better choices out there. Check out this site: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/purina-pro-plan-dog-food-dry/. It rates both wet and dry dog foods. Purina One rates below average with only 2 stars.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the forum Ady! Maybe the website can help you as well.

• 2 weeks later...

we are changing his food now.after extensive research and talking to the owner of the kennel he goes to.we are giving him the skinners duck and rice.it's addititve free and hypoallergenic for sensitive tummies..