Looking for some breeding info!

ZachDKingNH

Hey! I have a beautiful, four year old Siberian. I'm very interested in finding a partner for him...I just don't know where to start...I'm very new to the breeding world. If anyone has any advice or can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hi there! First of all, please understand that we all want the very best for the dogs and any questions/statements you might hear is not pointed to judge you. We are simply concerned about the dogs :) if you feel like it, could you please answer the following questions? Advice will come right after :)

1) is your boy AKC registered?

2) have you done all the health testings?

3) are you showing him?

4) are you aware that by breeding him, you agreed to prepare for tons of behavioral issues? Examples: strong desire to mate at least twice a year which results in bolting the gate/jumping the fence/anything else to escape and there's always this (big) chance of him being stolen or struck by a car :(

5) why do you want to breed him? :)

EDIT: oops how can I miss the fact that your dog is a boy :confused: sorry changed all "her" to "him" x) Question #4 changed :)

Edited by mydiamond

hi there! First of all, please understand that we all want the very best for the dogs and any questions/statements you might hear is not pointed to judge you. We are simply concerned about the dogs :) if you feel like it, could you please answer the following questions? Advice will come right after :)

1) is your girl AKC registered?

2) have you done all the health testings?

3) are you showing her?

4) are you aware that by breeding her you are putting her life at risk? :)

5) why do you want to breed her? :)

he has a boy. LOL he said im looking for a partner for HIM. :D

Okay...I'm going to assume you haven't done your research, and at this point in time are just thinking...golly gee it would be neat if I could make puppies.

How to do it the wrong way is pretty easy...how to do it the right way requires some actual work.

1. Research

This is pretty self explanatory. It requires reading, phone calls to breeders, talking with vets, understanding the breed standard etc.

2. Apprenticeship and showing

Working and learning alongside an actual breeder, who shows or works their dogs in a competative setting so that there is more than just them saying 'yes this is an award winning dog'

3. Financial evaluation

• are you in a position to financially care for 7 dogs, for 17 years? (as in, in the event that the peole who have your dogs can't take care of them will you be taking them back?) including the emergency surgeries?
  • Do you have the money for registering a litter of pups, and competeing with them?

4. What do you think your dog is going to contribute to the betterment of the breed?

5. Do you have breeding rights?

Yeah it doesn't sound like this is my cup of tea...I'm a full time student...that should answer most of your questions.

Thanks so much for all the advice and good questions...it has only been about 15 minutes and I now have a much more developed perspective on the breeding world...I think maybe it will have to go on the back burner until I'm done with school.

Edited by ZachDKingNH

Yeah it doesn't sound like this is my cup of tea...I'm a full time student...that should answer most of your questions.

Thanks so much for all the advice and good questions...it has only been about 15 minutes and I now have a much more developed perspective on the breeding world...I think maybe it will have to go on the back burner until I'm done with school.

however we are not saying breeding is bad :) without breeding we won't have anymore huskies :( it's just that breeding isn't a game, they were made for experts only. We beginners will only mess up this gorgeous breed (don't want that do we :)) so better leave it to those who knows what to do. Just curious, how did the thought come up to your mind?

but i thought generally if he is breeding his dog (studwise) he won't be in charge of the puppies. i'm not trying to recommend he go breeding his dog but he doesn't have the female. Many reputable breeders will pay a studfee to use his dog if he has the proper documentation, good health, looks, etc. But def a good idea to wait if youre a full time student.

but i thought generally if he is breeding his dog (studwise) he won't be in charge of the puppies. i'm not trying to recommend he go breeding his dog but he doesn't have the female. Many reputable breeders will pay a studfee to use his dog if he has the proper documentation, good health, looks, etc. But def a good idea to wait if youre a full time student.

honestly, rather than "waiting", I'd recommend him to refrain from breeding and neuter his dog if he likes. You're right he won't be in charge of the puppies but his dog's behavioral problem will grow like a weed. Don't want that :S other than behavioral, I heard medical problems arise in stud dogs too? Dang it what happened to my brain when it's night-time? x___x

honestly, rather than "waiting", I'd recommend him to refrain from breeding and neuter his dog if he likes. You're right he won't be in charge of the puppies but his dog's behavioral problem will grow like a weed. Don't want that :S other than behavioral, I heard medical problems arise in stud dogs too? Dang it what happened to my brain when it's night-time? x___x

What do you mean his dog's behavioral problem? What problem? I didn't see where he said his dog had one. Medical problems arise in stud dogs? huh? Sorry i'm completely lost. Maybe you don't know what i mean or you have a different definition for a stud dog.

Example: My friend had a really pretty, well-behaved, healthy pitbull. (he's a male) He never had him neutered, (why im not sure) and when a friend who knows what they're doing asked him to breed his dog with hers he agreed. Basically, you usually get paid a sum of money to let them use your male dog. Sometimes they give you a puppy instead, basically whatever you wind up agreeing to.

What do you mean his dog's behavioral problem? What problem? I didn't see where he said his dog had one. Medical problems arise in stud dogs? huh? Sorry i'm completely lost. Maybe you don't know what i mean or you have a different definition for a stud dog.

Example: My friend had a really pretty, well-behaved, healthy pitbull. (he's a male) He never had him neutered, (why im not sure) and when a friend who knows what they're doing asked him to breed his dog with hers he agreed. Basically, you usually get paid a sum of money to let them use your male dog. Sometimes they give you a puppy instead, basically whatever you wind up agreeing to.

a dog that has been used for breeding often have higher sexual drives that made them make unbelievable escape attempts at the very least twice a year. This behavior can already be found in intact males, but in studs it is even worse. Plus (from what I read) a stud dog owner should pay compensations for every failed breedings.. So instead of gaining money you actually lose some :S pet-quality pets of both genders should not really be bred from either.. especially the ones that aren't health-tested.

I do believe we're kinda talking about two different things here tho x) yea that's right, the stud dog owner got paid by the female's owner. If stud owner doesn't want money he gets a puppy.

both mother and father need to be health tested to make sure that no defects are being passed genetically to the pups.... just like human babies, pups get dna from both parents!!!

both dogs need to be hip scored and vet checked and SHOULD be kc registered...

just because someone has an un neutered male does not mean that they should stud their dog out..

both mother and father need to be health tested to make sure that no defects are being passed genetically to the pups.... just like human babies, pups get dna from both parents!!!

both dogs need to be hip scored and vet checked and SHOULD be kc registered...

just because someone has an un neutered male does not mean that they should stud their dog out..

no i completely agree with that. health checks are important, but so is temperament. Obviously i don't agree with all un neutered males being used as studs, considering we have a HUGE population of homeless animals as it is. like i said before i'm not recommending that he breed his dog, i personally think it should be left up to knowledgeable breeders. I was simply stating that just because he breeds his MALE dog doesn't mean he technically has responsibility of the puppies. I only know this because my parents AKC registered, pure-bred Lab is not neutered and several people stop my mother daily and ask her if she is interested in using him as a stud. She says he's her baby though and won't. :)

i have an un speyed female and she will never have a litter of pups...

i have decided not to have her speyed and i make sure that she is never in a situation where she could get caught by an intact male......(they would have to push my boy darwin off and get past echo's jaws)

im all for keeping a dog intact if thats what the owner wants....

daughtry has the best temperment but as my gsd and my boy husky are rescues and the sheer amount of rescues being offered for adoption i find it hard for anyone to want to breed...

deffo best left to the pro's

even if his dog is 'just the stud dog' he still is responsible for the puppies aswell as the bitches owner , he still brought pups into the world aswell

for example if for some reason the puppies owners could no longer look after them and it wasnt possible for the bitches owner to take the pups back in , the stud dogs owner would have to take them back in instead

have a read of this :) i know its about labs but its all good advice n something you should read --> http://www.godivalabs.com/stud.html

Wow...lots of info! good stuff..thank you all... Olivia, the most driving motive for me wanting to breed him is that he isn't spayed...this may sound silly, but his behavior is becoming a huge energy sink, it is constantly stopping us from doing the things we love to do together. I constantly worry that he will get off his leash and get hit by a car, get shot, kill other domestic animals, etc. I'm sure there are lots of threads about this...but what's your opinion? do you think getting him spayed will reduce that sort of behavior? I've tried a lot of things...maybe I'm just to passive...Thanks so much!

Wow...lots of info! good stuff..thank you all... Olivia, the most driving motive for me wanting to breed him is that he isn't spayed...this may sound silly, but his behavior is becoming a huge energy sink, it is constantly stopping us from doing the things we love to do together. I constantly worry that he will get off his leash and get hit by a car, get shot, kill other domestic animals, etc. I'm sure there are lots of threads about this...but what's your opinion? do you think getting him spayed will reduce that sort of behavior? I've tried a lot of things...maybe I'm just to passive...Thanks so much!

Yeah, if you think breeding him will make him less excitable and anxious, think again! It will only make things worse!

Many people on this forum are pro-neutering (and I have to say I'm one of them), and most will agree that neutering him should help curb some of those kind of behaviours - namely, he isn't desperate to get away because he caught the scent of a bitch in heat 2 blocks away!

However, I'm sure you are also aware that huskies are an exceptionally energetic breed, and as such often require a lot of attention and exercise to keep them content. A tired husky is a well-behaved husky!

My personal opinion is to go with the neuter. It won't fix all of his behavior, but it will lessen the hormonally based behaviors. You should also look into getting together with other Husky owners in your area....check out the US meets section of the foum, and camps...

no it's not silly at all :) it happens from time to time ^_^ how old is your boy? You might be dealing with teenage stage :) and yea neutering helps. It will reduce marking behavior, lessen territorial aggression, lessen chances of developing various cancers and--the best part is--increase calmness. If your dog is old enough to be neutered, then I recommend you to do so :)

Unless his dog has a really desirable show or working pedigree and has been proven in the ring or on the trail, it's highly unlikely that a reputable breeder will want to use his dog at stud, even if health checks have been done. There are so many good quality dogs out there, owned by people they know, either personally or by reputation, that it's easier to use one of their dogs. Additionally, if you know the ancestors in the dog's pedigree - and many of us who show and/or sled will be familiar with many dogs in a show/working pedigree - you will be better able to predict what you will get from a breeding.