Training Luka

LittleLuka

So we've come a long way just in a short time with the whole biting and chewing. He no longer attempts to chew on furniture or my hand constantly. He still tries to bite the crap out of me sometimes but he knows better and when i say NO he stops for the most part. I've started working with him for simple commands, he can sit perfectly. We're now working on stay and shake.

I've also started walking him with his harness and he is doing REALLY well with that. doesn't pull hardly, (like most huskies he decides he wants a burst of speed every now and then) LOL but for the most part he's doing so good. now with all of that said there is just one big problem...

POTTY TRAINING.

i am not kidding you i could sit outside for an hour and he won't go to the bathroom. the second we come inside it's all over my room. He has the occasional accident in his crate but for the most part, it stays clean. Here's the other thing, i took him over to my parents house and he didn't have one accident in the house. Mind you, we were outside A LOT so that could have a thing or two to do with it. I know it's difficult potty training him in an apartment in the first place but we're only in here for one more month till we will be in a house with a nice big backyard. The thing is though, I'm worried if we wait till then to potty train him it will be too late.

p.s. I am using stain remover for the urine/poop and it contains the enzyme/whatever that is supposed to prevent them from peeing in the same spot. He just pees right next to it.

UGHHH... any advice?

I'd follow the advice mydiamond usually gives. When he goes in the house soak some newspaper or something in it and when you take him out to pee place the paper in the grass so the scent is there for him to smell. When you catch him starting to pee in the house distract him by clapping or stomping or making an "Ah-ah!" noise and then pick him up and take him outside until he finishes. Every time he goes outside, praise the life out of him; if it's after he's started in the house, still praise him, just a little less.

Wish I had more advice to give but I'm sure someone will come in here with some. xD

I have a husky in a flat. Well, I'm a very good/bad sleeper, once I get accustomed to something it doesn't wake me. At first Ghost would wake me but my sleep is really hard so poor Ghost had a number of accidents, tis' at night though but it became a problem later, solved now because he's such a great sleeper as I am. xD

During the day all more you can do is to watch Niko. He's too young for being outside an whole hour (although opinions differ on this), what I noticed was that when I ran with Ghost it helped him do it sooner. And sometimes the "you either do it or I swear we're going home" helped. Of course once he does his thing stay with him outside for idk 1-2 minutes so he doesn't get the idea that as long as he does it, he goes home and he'll use it against you. If you get thought watching him outside like "yay now he'll do it" get rid of them, it works against the process I found, just walk him not for the potty but for the sake of you being with him.

Also what's the weather like at your place? First time it went snowing when Ghost was already with me he wouldn't do it outside because it was too cold for him (and he was born in November...).

Last thing, after an hour of walk, just watch him home, he's sure to do it so don't take your eyes off him and when you see the little tail going up, grab him and run for it. :D

sounds like you're on the right track already :) Please note that your puppy is... well, a puppy :shrug: he can't learn new things in short amount of time no matter how smart he is, especially when it comes to house training x) from your description above I think you've done the right thing and Luka is improving already. As you can see, accidents in his crate has lessened :) it takes a pretty long time for this stubborn breed to learn where to potty, so please be patient :) btw if you wonder why Luka didn't have accidents in your parents house, the answer is simple: there is no scent of pee there. Dogs prefer places that smell like urine to go potty, so.... Yea basically you need a smelly garden to begin with LOL