It's illegal to sell soda at school during lunch? When did this happen???

Removed #1

Seriously...this war on fat is insane...it's actually now against FEDERAL law to sell soda at school during lunchtime....$15,000 fine. Are you kidding me? Tell me your kidding...

no....no your not...it's apparantly been in effect since 2004 nation wide.

This fixed the epidemic right? In the last 8 years childhood obesity has been obliterated...right? Okay so no it hasn't....

School cuts art program to pay for soda fine. Who needs creative outlets anyway?

Home schooling is looking better all the time.

In the words of that Russian comedian, whose name escapes me, "What a country!"

I remember when this happened. :/ I was in 8th grade and saved enough money to buy my first soda at school. Walked up and tried to buy one and they said "No you're not. We took them out two weeks ago." Was, heartbroken. They also took the vending machines out of my high school in 9th grade. v.v All you could buy was gatorade, water, or ice cream.

What an absurd law. So they can buy it any time during the day, but the school is fined if it's sold during lunch hour?! A kid can buy at 11:58 to consume it over lunch, but at 12:02 it's terrible and malnutritious? If they're that concerned about it, remove the pop machines PERIOD. I was in Junior high school before I went to my first school with a concession or vending machines. You don't want kids to drink it, don't sell it at all. They can bring it from home, go offsite, whatever. As for the safety concern excuse - please. That's like adding smoking areas and needle drop boxes so the kids can get their fix "in the safety of the school grounds." We could buy pop and candy at my high school - there was still a mass exodus at lunch just to get away for half an hour or buy cheaper candy elsewhere!

The whole "blame everyone but yourself" mentality that comes with the obesity "epidemic" is absurd. Sure, the school can help by maybe only supplying can vending machines instead of bottles - ie portion control - but to suggest that having a vending machine available is promoting and encouraging consumption is absurd, and it IS a good way to fund extra-curricular activities that the government already underfunds. The only point where it gets bad is if pop is the ONLY beverage available - if they don't even have the option to purchase milk or other healthy drinks there's a problem.

:wtf:

A few years ago, Jamie Oliver (a celebrity chef for those who don't know) tried to revolutionise school dinners - making them healthier and appealing, yet still within the school budget. Of course, as soon as the words 'healthy food' popped up, some parents would appear at the school gates with 'snack lunches', some kids would climb the fences to get to a take-away, and you would often see a burger (etc) van parked near the gates...