Balance

MyLilGirl_Misty

I was wanting to know if anybody here has experienced what I'm about to try and explain here. Me and my wife have noticed that while walking Misty, she'll lose her balance at times. It's not all the time that this occurs but sometimes. It seems to happen when she is so fired up and excited and has been pulling me like a freight train. Of course she's breathing pretty heavy by this time as well. I'm wondering if all this pulling with her harness on, the excitement and heavy breathing may cause her to get light headed and week in the legs? We've also noticed this happens mostly on slight inclines or declines and not necessarily on flat ground. So.....has anyone here experienced this with their Huskies?

I also want to add that Misty did have a ear infection in both ears not to long ago and has cleared up since then. The vet said that the ear infections could be the reason that she loses her balance at times. But like I said, that infection was a while ago and Misty still loses her balance at times. She never loses it in the house or when we are walking and not being dragged by her.

I would try out the gentle leader. Its basically a minature horse harnass that controls the dogs head so they walk beside you and not pulling you all over the street. Maybe this will calm her excitement a bit. I used this on one of my huskies because I just couldn't break his horrible frantic pulling habit. A year later he walks nicely down the street. Shes pretty young so she might just be over exerting herself.

I'm not keen on head collars tbh but do use a non pull harness called 'walk your dog with love' best non pull tool I've used , head collar didn't work on my box but this does , if ur interested in the harness send [MENTION=2703]Staceybob[/MENTION] a message she is an affiliate with them and can get them at discount too

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

I was wanting to know if anybody here has experienced what I'm about to try and explain here. Me and my wife have noticed that while walking Misty, she'll lose her balance at times. It's not all the time that this occurs but sometimes. It seems to happen when she is so fired up and excited and has been pulling me like a freight train. Of course she's breathing pretty heavy by this time as well. I'm wondering if all this pulling with her harness on, the excitement and heavy breathing may cause her to get light headed and week in the legs? We've also noticed this happens mostly on slight inclines or declines and not necessarily on flat ground. So.....has anyone here experienced this with their Huskies?

I also want to add that Misty did have a ear infection in both ears not to long ago and has cleared up since then. The vet said that the ear infections could be the reason that she loses her balance at times. But like I said, that infection was a while ago and Misty still loses her balance at times. She never loses it in the house or when we are walking and not being dragged by her.

Heya,

Where are you based? It sounds like she's getting that worked up that she's not supplying enough oxygen to her body and so it's almost like causing her to faint.

If you're any where near Birmingham, let me know, as I have worked as a nurse in a Veterinary and I currently offer services as a dog trainer.

I can sort you out with non-pull harness' and things as well.

Stacey xxx

I'm not keen on head collars tbh but do use a non pull harness called 'walk your dog with love' best non pull tool I've used ' date=' head collar didn't work on my box but this does , if ur interested in the harness send @Staceybob a message she is an affiliate with them and can get them at discount too

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

I went through several methods before trying the gentle leader. It just depends what works best on your dog, some methods are better than others. I used the gentle leader on my Husky Lab mix who is about 75 pounds of muscle. This was the only thing that slowed him down. I used it for about 6 months and about a year later he walks nicely down the street without pulling a limb out of place :) Good luck!

Also the gentle leader is geared more towards a dog with a long snout. I wouldn't use this on a boxer or breeds with a square muzzle, less effective.

Edited by CatJax

Stacey,

I live and work in Japan. I would however love to hear any advice you might have to offer.

I also believe myself that she's not getting enough oxygen due to her heavy rapid breathing and pulling. When she comes to a stop or I happen to tug on the leash to get her to come my way, that's when she'll lose her balance. Sometimes she'll catch herself and other times she might not and fall on her butt or side. It's scary to see this when it does happen. I just wish she would calm down but she's so anxious to get out and look for cats.