semi-slip collars??

I haven't always liked the thought of using these.

However, both dogs pull like mad on harness.

But, Alex walked both on collar the other day and they were better.

So I'm thinking, maybe to get them both one to try out getting them to walk nicer than they currently do.

Storm has a habit of stopping and then going off fast and therefore I get the YANK :dog3:on my back and its starting to give me bad back pain. However Im too scared to not use my walking belt because if he does the YANK and I drop the lead he's gone.

Before anyone starts saying I need to train a recall I have explained before he will not recall, even on a 100ft lead. :(

So, should I get the semi-slips and give them a try?

I've not used a semi slip collar yet but have used a slip lead on diva and she walks alot better on that that just her normal collar or any harness I've tried her on I reckon it's worth a try xx

I use different things depending on the kind of walk. If we are going for a fairly fast on lead walk I use a canny collar, but if we are going for a field/beach/hill walk we use an ezydog harness but have almost trained her that a loud whoa before she gets to the end of the lead makes her slow before she gets a sudden jolt. I wouldn't be too keen on just a collar if they are likely to be running fast and coming to a sudden stop at the end of the lead. This is just what we do, everyone has their own ways of working

I've not used a semi slip collar yet but have used a slip lead on diva and she walks alot better on that that just her normal collar or any harness I've tried her on I reckon it's worth a try xx

I do have a slip lead, I do not trust using it for a walk tbh.

I use different things depending on the kind of walk. If we are going for a fairly fast on lead walk I use a canny collar, but if we are going for a field/beach/hill walk we use an ezydog harness but have almost trained her that a loud whoa before she gets to the end of the lead makes her slow before she gets a sudden jolt. I wouldn't be too keen on just a collar if they are likely to be running fast and coming to a sudden stop at the end of the lead. This is just what we do, everyone has their own ways of working

I will only use them on normal walks, I will use harnesses for the long leads and bungee leads.

Semi slips don't work for us, they just end up sounding like they're choking, the no pull harnesses help a little but not a lot, I've noticed that they pull against them so much they end up with sores under their front legs were the webbing has rubbed

thats odd' date=' was it tight enough? Skyla has tried her damned hardest to back out of her semi-slip n couldnt get her head out at all[/quote']

It certainly SEEMED to be snug...until I was bribing her with treats to come back. Eh just not up to messing with it further after dealing with that a couple of times

i use the semi slip collar not only for walking but for running in harness.. if set correctly your dog should not be able to slip out of it.. i tend to have mine set slightly looser for running than walking. think the theory is and some one correct me if im wrong but when pulled tight you should be able to slip 2 fingers snuggly in between collar and dog.. for correct setting..

i use the semi slip collar not only for walking but for running in harness.. if set correctly your dog should not be able to slip out of it.. i tend to have mine set slightly looser for running than walking. think the theory is and some one correct me if im wrong but when pulled tight you should be able to slip 2 fingers snuggly in between collar and dog.. for correct setting..

what i do is pull them up right behind their head/ears n if i can slip it off with the slip pulled up its too loose , Skyla has tried her damn hardest to get out of hers once but never managed too

what i do is pull them up right behind their head/ears n if i can slip it off with the slip pulled up its too loose ' date=' Skyla has tried her damn hardest to get out of hers once but never managed too[/quote']

seems like you have got them set properly ..

Was it tight enough and/or small enough for her? We have all 3 on semi-slips, and have found that every few months they need to be readjusted because they loosen up or stretch out!

i check mine daily.. just a kind of habit now.. a few seconds a day checking gives me piece of mind.before leaving the house to walk or anything plus the fact if ever the did try escape when opening front door or something then i know if grabed by collar they couldn't escape further.

i check mine daily.. just a kind of habit now.. a few seconds a day checking gives me piece of mind.before leaving the house to walk or anything plus the fact if ever the did try escape when opening front door or something then i know if grabed by collar they couldn't escape further.

Smart. We only put them on with leashes. They wear rolled leather collars in the house with their tags.