Wireless dog fences

donttakeemoff316

from what I have heard, it's hit and miss....

I have seen some work (the high quailty ones) and also the same ones not work.

I personally don't like the idea of pain compliance, and would never trust a wirless fence. If they do get out by sucking it up and running through it, then how will they get back in? I know I wouldn't want a shock twice...

What if the fence fails, and you are inside trusting it works?

There is always the chance that they will learn what the beep means before crossing the wire, and it would work out great, but I wouldn't do it....my opinion only

I would either build a good fence, or walk/run/bike with your pup...great bonding to be had there...

Edited by ICE & SHADOW

The purpose of the fence is so she can be off leash while I am outside playing with her, not to leave her alone in the yard while I am not there supervising. I live in a remote area, I can't simply take her out and let he run around without some kind of limiter, she will run off and I will most likely never see her again. I can not simply build a fence, I live my parents right now and a large fenced area is not something they want, and simply can't afford it.

While I would never hit my dog or use any kind of punishment, I do not have a problem with an electric fence. It is not a torture device. When we give a dog a firm "NO" what do you think is honestly happening? The dog gets scared and backs off whatever they are doing. A zap is a stronger way of doing this in an environment where a stronger stimulus is needed. I would much rather my dog have the freedom to roam around and play by learning boundaries than to have to sit inside because she could run off.

yeah I can see where you're coming from but the thing is... e-fence is not always working =\ gotta disagree with dogs being scared when they were told "no" btw it was just a word that indicates they are doing something undesirable. But if you can find a good e-fence that works wonders then it will help, but won't really recommend it tbh

Edited by mydiamond

The purpose of the fence is so she can be off leash while I am outside playing with her, not to leave her alone in the yard while I am not there supervising. I live in a remote area, I can't simply take her out and let he run around without some kind of limiter, she will run off and I will most likely never see her again. I can not simply build a fence, I live my parents right now and a large fenced area is not something they want, and simply can't afford it.

While I would never hit my dog or use any kind of punishment, I do not have a problem with an electric fence. It is not a torture device. When we give a dog a firm "NO" what do you think is honestly happening? The dog gets scared and backs off whatever they are doing. A zap is a stronger way of doing this in an environment where a stronger stimulus is needed. I would much rather my dog have the freedom to roam around and play by learning boundaries than to have to sit inside because she could run off.

You asked for advise....you got mine. I never said it was a torture device, I simply said that I would not use anything that would cause pain to my dog...I would believe the an electric shock that causes the dog to yelp, would be painful.

Again, my opinion only.

Do what you want as it seems that you have your mind made up.

When it doesn't work, and she runs off anyways, don't say you wasn't warned....

Huskies aren't your typical breed....they will not hang around a yard....if they see a chance to run, they will....and I don't think an E-Fence will work if she sees something worth chasing..... now you are stuck with a E-Fence and a runaway pup.

Seen it happen once or twice....

yeah I can see where you're coming from but the thing is... e-fence is not always working =\ gotta disagree with dogs being scared when they were told "no" btw it was just a word that indicates they are doing something undesirable. But if you can find a good e-fence that works wonders than it will help, but won't really recommend it tbh

I think this is a common training misunderstanding, particularly with people who use only positive reinforcement training (I am one of those people). How do you think the dog learned what the word "NO" meant? It got scared by us giving it in a loud, firm tone. That is basic training right there. I'm sure the first time your pup or dog was doing something and you gave a firm "NO" he/she jumped or jolted. He got scared. I know as a young kid if my parents yelled something along the lines of "NO" I would get startled (scared) and stop doing it. I think we like to cover up the fact that we use some positive punishment (scaring a dog is considered positive punishment). I will agree that a firm NO or HEY! is completely different than hitting the dog, but it IS used to scare / startle the dog. Positive punishment does not mean physical only.

Here's a balanced opinion on the e-fence....As mentioned the Siberian Husky is not your typical hang out loyal breed and some of the major draw backs include the strong will to run and coats that aren't compatible with the e-fence collars (ie: Not feeling the correction). But it does seem you have your mind made up already, so why bother asking? I hope you find this works for you and don't end up Husky-less.

http://www.siberescue.com/Common/InvisibleFence/invisiblefence.html

I think this is a common training misunderstanding, particularly with people who use only positive reinforcement training (I am one of those people). How do you think the dog learned what the word "NO" meant? It got scared by us giving it in a loud, firm tone. That is basic training right there. I'm sure the first time your pup or dog was doing something and you gave a firm "NO" he/she jumped or jolted. He got scared. I know as a young kid if my parents yelled something along the lines of "NO" I would get startled (scared) and stop doing it. I think we like to cover up the fact that we use some positive punishment (scaring a dog is considered positive punishment). I will agree that a firm NO or HEY! is completely different than hitting the dog, but it IS used to scare / startle the dog. Positive punishment does not mean physical only.

except I didn't yell. I tell him "no" and show him what's he's supposed to do. For example if he bit a newspaper I took the newspaper away and "trade" it with a toy bone. And another no, he didn't jolt or jumped when I said "No" he simply knows that I disagree with whatever he's about to do. This subject fascinates me though, I have never heard of this kind of point of view before. Tell me then, how are you supposed to tell a dog "no"?

Use the search function for shock collar on the forum and you'll find that this topic has been beaten to death and there is no consensus of opinion except that if it fails, even once, you're out looking for a dog ... which you'll hopefully find.

I've lost two dogs in two years because I wanted to let them have some freedom my remaining two are on leash or in the house 24/7.

Talk with @phil W on here..........not often on anymore, but you can find him on FB (Phil Wolford). He and his wife have some 25+ huskies (all rescues - all live in his home, not kennels, not outside) and they use electronic fencing. He swears by it and has even had it down and the dogs won't leave the yard.

He's always a good source for info regarding this subject.

Edited by Austinville

I live in an apartment with no yard for the dogs so the only exercise my dogs get are in a remote field or Kiana gets the dog park every now and then. Long leads are the BEST option in this instance or maybe you could invest in a tie out line? The problem with the electric fence is a dog in drive mode will not be distracted by a meager shock to their neck. I'm sure you have seen your dog want something to the point they'd literally do everything to get it. I've seen well trained dobermans, GSDs, and several Golden retrievers bolt off through their electric fences to great someone or another dog and honestly if they were not trained to respond to their owners call with a good reliable recall they would've kept going. Dogs are not people and will often shirk a bit of pain if there is a higher reward at the end of the rope sort to speak. It's a good thing in theory but it I think it is very much based on the dogs personality and how willing they are to be distracted by the shock.

Talk with @phil W on here..........not often on anymore, but you can find him on FB (Phil Wolford). He and his wife have some 25+ huskies (all rescues - all live in his home, not kennels, not outside) and they use electronic fencing. He swears by it and has even had it down and the dogs won't leave the yard.

He's always a good source for info regarding this subject.

Just looked at his FB page....I wish I could have that many Huskies!....but on topic, I would have a nervous breakdown with just an electric fence....

My mother in law has one, and she swears by it, but she doesn't have huskies which is probably why it works for her! I would never ever trust one, because if Sayge, Timber, or Isys saw a dog/cat/or other animal they would just take the shock, and go after it! Not worth the risk in my eyes.

Just looked at his FB page....I wish I could have that many Huskies!....but on topic, I would have a nervous breakdown with just an electric fence....

He and his wife, Vanessa, are saints in my book. Perhaps you remember the husky Lucas whose owner beat him to unconsciousness and then filed all his teeth down with a hasp? Lucas found a loving home with the Wolfords and is now a certified therapy dog. They've spent thousands on his teeth.

If there ever were living saints, these two are it!

I agree with the comments posted here about the electronic fence being a risky way to contain your Sibe. It is also useless at keeping other critters out. We live in an area where there are skunks, racoons and foxes and I prefer to keep them out of reach of my pups.

I agree with the comments posted here about the electronic fence being a risky way to contain your Sibe. It is also useless at keeping other critters out. We live in an area where there are skunks, racoons and foxes and I prefer to keep them out of reach of my pups.

Haha, on a totally unrelated note my husband witnessed a raccoon nearly kill a trained for hunting springer spaniel! The dog caught it at the water's edge and the raccoon nearly drowned it! Fortunately the other dog joined the fray and between the two of them they managed to kill it.

But yeah, moral of the story is that this is a good point! Not to mention that those critters can all potentially carry rabies.