How to put on some weight/fat

sjwrx

Panda seems a bit too thin in my eyes. I can feel his spine if i run my hand through his back, or the 2 hind leg bones (I dont know what you call them). I want to put some weight on him, but he has a sensitive tummy.

He's currently on 1 1/2 cup of kibble 2 meals a day, brought down from 2 cups as he was getting soft stool. He does get boiled chicken breast, in between the 2 meals (about 1/3 cup). He is currently 21 weeks, weighing 11.4kg.

Any suggestions?

before the advice please note that what you call as "too thin" might be a perfect weight for him. Huskies are just lean dogs, and their fur is the only thing that made them look fat LOL Panda's height info would help

IMO if he has a sensitive tummy, don't play with his food just yet. Try "homemade treats" like, for example, cheese. Don't raise his food intake though

I wouldn't worry, he's growing fast. He's bound to feel a bit boney as he can't go outwards an upwards at the same time. Togo is 4 yrs old stands 23 inches at the shoulder and weighs 24kg. Sorry, that's a little under 53lbs for them not metric

Edited by Povodny

before the advice please note that what you call as "too thin" might be a perfect weight for him. Huskies are just lean dogs, and their fur is the only thing that made them look fat LOL Panda's height info would help

IMO if he has a sensitive tummy, don't play with his food just yet. Try "homemade treats" like, for example, cheese. Don't raise his food intake though

I may just be too paranoid lol. i have just reduced his food like a few days ago and his stool are starting to firm up, so that's good.

i have been giving him some homemade treats, tried some of the recipes i found on this site.

I wouldn't worry, he's growing fast. He's bound to feel a bit boney as he can't go outwards an upwards at the same time. Togo is 4 yrs old stands 23 inches at the shoulder and weighs 24kg. Sorry, that's a little under 53lbs for them not metric

Panda stands at 19 inches at the shoulder currently and 11.4kg weighed 2 days ago.

When i brush with the undercoat brush i just feel all his ribs.

Kallie is 11 months, 19.75 inch at the shoulder, and weighs 37.5 lbs. She looks very lean to me, also. I say it's because she is a teenager and most kids are lanky at that age. She was very stubby and short 3 months ago, then grew longer legs and body all of a sudden. She eats fish, chicken, holistic kibble and anything else she can beg. Lots of fruits & vegetables too, especially yams, blueberries, tomatoes. The last really help with stopping urine from burning grass. I hope she will put on about 10 more lbs in the next few years. She also is very active as we hike all over the East Kootenays here in BC, Canada.

Denali went through a lanky stage, no matter how much we fed him he was a noodle. Then all of a sudden his chest dropped, he filled out, and it seemed overnight we had a mature Siberian! According to our vet on our last visit he is in absolute perfect condition! Be patient and it does happen :D Denali is on 4 cups Taste of the Wild with a small supplement for show coat

Hearing everyone say that makes me more at ease.

I guess it also does not help that he is shedding a lot, as it's getting fairly hot here.

That will have a lot to do with it! They use a lot of calories when they blow coat, in conjunction to being a juvenile, this is completely normal :) Once he's over the blowing coat he'll level out.

Panda stands at 19 inches at the shoulder currently and 11.4kg weighed 2 days ago.

When i brush with the undercoat brush i just feel all his ribs.

I can still feel Togo's ribs and every bone in his spine. He's a very healthy boy, lean and sexy. Loki our other male is the same height but thicker set. He tends to carry more weight but that then makes him hotter, more easy to tire and has a roll to his walk. He gets fed the same as Togo but has a propensity towards hording kgs

21 wks is very young. Plus with his coat blow he'll appear slimmer. He's fine :)

Hmm okay. It's like 30 degrees Celsius today(86 F). At first i thought he was first shedding like they would do all year round but i can pluck chunks of fur from him, mostly around his leg area but i wasn't sure if its possible for him to blow at 5 months of age lol.