Why can't work be like this every day?

Val (Zebedee)

I work in an office Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm, week in, week out. I sit at a computer all day. I work on a waste water treatment works, so even in this gorgeous sunshine, you can't have the windows open for the smell!

Today, we had our monthly team brief where our manager gets the whole team (spread over 4 offices - Penrith in the Lake District, Blackburn (me), Manchester & Warrington) together - they all descend on our office. It was our manager's last team brief for a while as she is pregnant, due in June and her last working day is next Friday before maternity leave. I got in the office at 8, did a few little tasks till the rabble start to arrive about half nine, have a chin wag & catch up with the other offices, then head over to the meeting room for 10am start, where we are all given the choice of one of about 10 different kinds of cream cake with a cuppa! :clap: That does not usually happen, though we do sometimes get a sausage or bacon butty!! :P

We had our meeting till around quarter past twelve, when it was decided we would all go out to restaurant up the road for a meal together - all 17 of us! So we piled in to a few cars & took off (sod the offices, they can wait!) to a place 5 mins up the road. We were greeted with the news that the oven had just blown up & we would have to wait 15 mins to be waited on - that's ok, where else could we find somewhere to accommodate all of us in that time? So we got a round of drinks in (both alcoholic & soft) and sat chatting for a while.

The meals finally came (I had Chicken New Yorker, chicken breast in bacon with Mozerella cheese & BBQ sauce, chips, peas & onion rings) and we all tucked in - lovely! Another round of drinks for those who wanted one, some garlic bread passed round .... brill. When it came time to pay, the manager stood up & paid for everyone's meal & drinks!! Free grub!! (She did say she would claim it back on expenses!!)

Then out in the sunshine to chat for 5 mins before getting back to the office around 2pm, a bit more work (but we all wanted to sleep!) then pack up at 4pm .... what a great working day!!

So come on - can you top that?? What has been your best day at work ever?

Its EMS Appreciation week, so we've been getting free food at all the hospitals, our management BBQ-ed for us yesterday, got a sweet backpack, water bottle, and mini pocket knife from our management team, one of the hospitals had thermoses for us, another had little lunch coolers, our health training network had stopwatches, face shields, pens, pins, and travel coffee mugs for us...all in all I'd say it's been a good couple of days! Oh and low call volumes help :D

My school day today involved sitting outside on the picnic tables with the class and a bunch of bunnies in front of us, with a blank piece of paper, coloured pencils (as we had to draw the markings of all the bunny -, and other animal breeds) and the teacher's happy Rottweiler walking around us searching for people to cuddle with her :D

I had a 5 an half hour meeting today :( wasn't good

So tomorrow we're being cheeky lol, we're booking time in our calendar that looks like we're doing work, but we're going to go to the pub next to work for a couple of hours lmao

I had a 5 an half hour meeting today :( wasn't good

So tomorrow we're being cheeky lol, we're booking time in our calendar that looks like we're doing work, but we're going to go to the pub next to work for a couple of hours lmao

lmfao

Hey Val, got any openings? Sounds like a great day at the office.

Sent from my HTC with forumrunner.

Here in the US we have teacher appreciation day/week/month.....all schools kinda have their own time frame but it happens in May every year. In the past I have received cards, cookies, chocolate, and small gift cards to local places, BUT THIS YEAR.....we have a primary school teacher as one of our parents at the preschool and she took it upon herself to contact all the parents to gather gifts for all the teachers.....she started a teacher fund, and split it equally among us all.....I went to work last Thursday and was handed a lovely card and inside the card was 225.00 dollars...thats right two hundred and twenty five dollars!!!! that is equal to two days of pay! this came at a wonderful time, as we have all been asked to take a week of furlough time as the preschool is not doing well financially, and this 225 really came in handy. I hate that I had to spend it on Spaying Betty, but 225 is alot of money from parents especially in this economy. I certainly feel appreciated as a teacher, it was the best work day ever!

Years ago, I worked for a relatively small veterinary hospital. The two doctors that owned it had only been in business for a couple of years, but had built up a fair amount of business in that time. They decided to show us their appreciation for our hard work by taking us shopping after work. They gave each of us something like $300 - I can't remember how much it was, any more, but it was a sizable amount! The only catches were, that 1) we HAD to spend it on ourselves, we couldn't spend it on husbands (we were all married at the time) or kids, and 2) we had to give back any money that was left over after a certain amount of time, perhaps an hour or two. The mall they took us to was one of the really large, upscale ones in the Chicago area - LOTS of cool "stuff" to choose from! (I don't remember all of what I got, but the best, the thing I DO remember, is that I bought a really nice leather jacket!)

Here in the US we have teacher appreciation day/week/month.....all schools kinda have their own time frame but it happens in May every year. In the past I have received cards, cookies, chocolate, and small gift cards to local places, BUT THIS YEAR.....we have a primary school teacher as one of our parents at the preschool and she took it upon herself to contact all the parents to gather gifts for all the teachers.....she started a teacher fund, and split it equally among us all.....I went to work last Thursday and was handed a lovely card and inside the card was 225.00 dollars...thats right two hundred and twenty five dollars!!!! that is equal to two days of pay! this came at a wonderful time, as we have all been asked to take a week of furlough time as the preschool is not doing well financially, and this 225 really came in handy. I hate that I had to spend it on Spaying Betty, but 225 is alot of money from parents especially in this economy. I certainly feel appreciated as a teacher, it was the best work day ever!

oooh that sounds tempting :up: I'm planning to be a teacher in the US one day :D

A couple of times a year we have paid leave to work on projects for our nominated company charity. So far we've created a community garden from a derelict plot and fully decorated one of their homeless shelters. It's hard work as it's always done in one day but it's very rewarding and enables a group of us to get together which is rare as most work from home