Crate or not?

Shaiasaur

I keep thinking about this topic.

I know that it's good to crate, but I really want the husky to sleep with me at night..

Should I crate train it until it is good at it and then make it sleep with me or what?

Should I just not do that since I have Tails?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I don't (and have never) crated any of my animals I can certainly see where having them crate trained could be beneficial. Having a dinner party or a get together? It'd be convenient to tell the hounds to "go to bed" <or whatever> so they're out of traffic and safe. Need to duck out to the store and don't quite feel they're safe alone? Crate up, guys! Then you can do you thing without worrying about what they got into now!

Doesnt mean that it has to be an "always" thing, but it's a good thing for them to know.

Indeed. Great response Al. :clap: I certainly wouldn't trust Niko out alone when I go to the store. Having a crate is just very convenient in general, plus it's a great place for pup to relax and go to for comfort. It's their own personal bedroom. Niko likes to run in the crate when he's scared or trying to get away from the big mean scary cats. :lolman:

We've done it both ways, crating and not crating, and I'm convinced now that crating is the way to go. Ours is used to his crate and stays there whenever we're not home or during the night. He willingly goes into his crate, and we have much more peace of mind knowing he can't hurt himself or our stuff. With our last husky, she destroyed a lot of stuff before we wised up and crated her. After the first few years, we made it optional, but she still chose to go in there to sleep.

It also works out well to be crate trained if you needed to take your dog to the kennel in an emergency, at least the dog would be ok with the crate., And Juno loves her crate, I leave the door open 24 hours a day, she sleeps in there anytime she wants.

always better to crate train when young, you may not need it one day but at least it will be crate trained.

Crate training an older dog is harder.

also, a puppy may be cute to snuggle up with, but a bigger husky thats blowing its coat? nah thanks ill pass dont fancy choking on hair

Honestly, why do you spend so much time thinking and asking about a dog that does not and may not ever exist? Do you not understand that the future has a way of making itself along the way while you are making plans? I don't normally post answers to you for just this reason, but this was so off the wall I couldn't help myself. Those that do answer have a lot more patience than I do. Back to silence.

Honestly, why do you spend so much time thinking and asking about a dog that does not and may not ever exist? Do you not understand that the future has a way of making itself along the way while you are making plans? I don't normally post answers to you for just this reason, but this was so off the wall I couldn't help myself. Those that do answer have a lot more patience than I do. Back to silence.

Sorry if I come off rude here but are you saying you don't think she should be preparing and learning all she can prior to bringing a Husky, or any dog for that matter, into her life? Better prepared before the dog comes then to get a dog and wonder "What the heck am I doing?" right? Yeah, it may be in the far off future, but that's just all the more time to wonder and learn. She wants a Husky in the future and this is just how she copes with the waiting period.

Thank you all for your answers and I will most definitely crate train my baby. I will do it for a while and then let him/her sleep with me!

I'm just scared about Tails though. :S

Where is Tails sleeping? Do not leave them in the same room unsupervised. If Tails is always sleeping with you in your room, I don't think letting your husky sleeping in your room as well is a good idea. However, if you socialize your husky with Tails since day one, I won't be too worried... Big chance they'll get along just fine. It all depends on Tails too, though... Is he shy or skittish? Is he brave and always curious? I read that braver kitties has a bigger chance of getting along with a puppy :) but please note that even if you managed to make your two pets get along well, there is no guarantee that your husky will be fine with ALL cats :)

[MENTION=2509]HuskyHijinx[/MENTION] she's just doing her research :) she's getting a husky in summer 2013 :)

I am sorry but this kind of hurted my feelings.

I came to this forum for research about this breed. I am aware that the future changes, but just because of this does not mean I am going to not keep posting questions.

Would you like me to just get the dog, no knowing any information?

I am posting questions that Google can not do for me. I am sorry if this bothers you but if you had a problem you should of messaged me.

Once again, this hurted my feelings greatly. Congratulations.

I have never crated any dog...and do not think I am going start either...Both Bindi & Alpha can stay at home without getting into any mischief for about 8 hrs only thing I have to hide is the bin in the kitchen and make sure there are no socks about for Alpha the sock thief...they know the command "watch the house for me" and know they get a nice treat when we come back in the house and they have not done anything they are not allowed to do...not a problem, this did take 2 months training going out for 5 mins at the time and increasing it while going on...

I don't think that was a fair response. Newbies like myself and Shaiasaur are on here to learn and to gain knowledge from the more experienced like yourself. We are not all born with the information automatically. It appears that you have had numerous dogs from your sig, and helping new owners, despite how far away the actual arrival date may be can really make a difference.

Could you fathom that someone who needed information about a Sibe, not getting the right education, then eventually turning the dog in? It would be a shame.

Now back to the issue of crating.

I'm using a divider currently our our little pup. Is there a particular size I should "divide" it into? I do notice that she LOVES the small nook by the foot of our couch. I've made the divided area of the crate relatively the same size. Put a blanket over it except for the door area and put toys in. I've even aimed a fan at the crate to make it cooler than the couch area. But she still prefers the couch area.... I leave the door open, and in the middle of the night i find her back at the couch.

I'm not sure if what we do is the right thing or what not but it certainly works for us. Meeka is crate trained at night and when she takes her nap during the day ( mostly becuase its much cooler downstairs) She simply won't sleep on the couch because there is to much going on. If were watching a movie and she's relaxed taking a nap, if one of us gets up to get a drink or anything she will immediatly wake up and follow us, which i can only imagine annoys her.

BUT- probably once or twice a week she sleeps in the bed with us. Does it confuse her? I don't think so, she sleeps throughout the night perfectly and wakes me up with her ninja crawl then gives kisses then lays on her back for a belly rub, and then the next night she will sleep in her crate with no problem, no whining no crying nothing. So in a sense- its the best of both worlds.

We did wait about a month of solid crate training to let her sleep in the bed- and fair warning- if they want you to wake up at 6am they will, and if that doesn't work, all she has to do is jump off the bed and IM UP IM UP PLEASE DONT PEE ON MY NEW HARDWOOD FLOORS!! :)

Again, I am no expert, so I can't say if this is right or wrong or for everyone

I am sorry but this kind of hurted my feelings.

I came to this forum for research about this breed. I am aware that the future changes, but just because of this does not mean I am going to not keep posting questions.

Would you like me to just get the dog, no knowing any information?

I am posting questions that Google can not do for me. I am sorry if this bothers you but if you had a problem you should of messaged me.

Once again, this hurted my feelings greatly. Congratulations.

I'm a libra so it is in my nature to always look at both sides and I also never really give my opinion to much on this forums, I just love looking at everyone's dogs and hearing funny stories/mad rants/training questions etc. but I can assure you I don't think that that post was meant to hurt your feelings.

Should you be getting as much advice on this breed before you get one?- ABSOLUTELY!! But in another sense you can also use the search engine in the corner and type in crate training and there are a bazillion threads that offer advice on this. Im not saying you shouldn't start your own, but what I think is you ask alot of hypothetically questions about a dog, but to be honost- every dog is different, so you can get as much advice as you need, but once you get the dog THATS where you will start to learn the personality traits, etc.

I think the poster was just saying people take alot of time out and answer questions that they may have to potentially answer all over again once you get your dog and realize - oh no- is he drinking to much water/why doe he cry so much/why does my dog eat dry wall/ is anyone elses sibe obsessed with eating toilet paper?/ how to get dogs and cats to get along/why does my dog pull so much/why doesn't he like walks/why does my dog have crazy stinky farts (that ones for you meeks:) etc.

Again, none of my business just trying to shed light on a maybe not so well worded forum answer

I'm a libra so it is in my nature to always look at both sides and I also never really give my opinion to much on this forums, I just love looking at everyone's dogs and hearing funny stories/mad rants/training questions etc. but I can assure you I don't think that that post was meant to hurt your feelings.

Should you be getting as much advice on this breed before you get one?- ABSOLUTELY!! But in another sense you can also use the search engine in the corner and type in crate training and there are a bazillion threads that offer advice on this. Im not saying you shouldn't start your own, but what I think is you ask alot of hypothetically questions about a dog, but to be honost- every dog is different, so you can get as much advice as you need, but once you get the dog THATS where you will start to learn the personality traits, etc.

I think the poster was just saying people take alot of time out and answer questions that they may have to potentially answer all over again once you get your dog and realize - oh no- is he drinking to much water/why doe he cry so much/why does my dog eat dry wall/ is anyone elses sibe obsessed with eating toilet paper?/ how to get dogs and cats to get along/why does my dog pull so much/why doesn't he like walks/why does my dog have crazy stinky farts (that ones for you meeks:) etc.

Again, none of my business just trying to shed light on a maybe not so well worded forum answer

I understand, but I've postes on here before letting people know my feelings get hurt easily, even stupid small reasons.

I searched the forums and read many threads by newbies like me. I just like opinions, that is all.

I have used a lot of search stuff as well.

I understand, but I've postes on here before letting people know my feelings get hurt easily, even stupid small reasons.

Don't ever let anyone you have never met ( or met for that matter) hurt your feelings, especially over the small stuff. Hold your head high, have confidence, and if someone else doesn't like it, let them know you could care less. When I was in highschool I was super skinny and would never wear shorts because they would call me toothpick and olives ( I had big kneecaps I guess???)

I married a great guy, have a great job, own my house at age 25, and look better than ever. /waving at the mean girls :)

I can answer this question. The questions are being asked because they should be asked by anyone if they are unsure. If they then decide not to get one, then they have made an informed decision.

Next time you "cant stop yourself", think twice as that was uncalled for. This place is here for people to ask for advice and always will be, regardless of what you think should and shouldnt be posted.

EDIT: Just to note also, I will be starting to use the warning system on the new forum for posts like this. There is absolutly no need for it. If you have nothing constructive to say, then dont say anything..... As per the rules of the forum!

Edited by Marc

Don't ever let anyone you have never met ( or met for that matter) hurt your feelings, especially over the small stuff. Hold your head high, have confidence, and if someone else doesn't like it, let them know you could care less. When I was in highschool I was super skinny and would never wear shorts because they would call me toothpick and olives ( I had big kneecaps I guess???)

I married a great guy, have a great job, own my house at age 25, and look better than ever. /waving at the mean girls :)

I am very sorry that those girls were mean to you. I am glad that you are very good at where you are at now. Proves to you that you're better than them! :D