Crate or not?

Shaiasaur

I never crated blaze and never needed to I never crated skyla but once she hit her teenage stage she started chewing everything she could get her paws on , including our fish tank she could have killed herself so we started crating her , she now no longer needs 2 be crated and sleeps on my bed :-) I would deffo consider crate training it was a life saver (literally) for us :-)

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never crated blaze and never needed to I never crated skyla but once she hit her teenage stage she started chewing everything she could get her paws on , including our fish tank she could have killed herself so we started crating her , she now no longer needs 2 be crated and sleeps on my bed :-) I would deffo consider crate training it was a life saver (literally) for us :-)

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

I am sorry about Skyla, that would of been bad! But good thing that you started to crate train her!

My first husky was never crated. I tried, but he would have none of that. Didn't like confined spaces.

My second has a crate and was crated from eight weeks until recently as she has proven she doesn't need to be. She still spends much of her day in the crate with the door wide open, as she sees it as her 'den' It's her safe haven.

I didn't miss a crate with the first as it was just something he wouldn't tolerate. But the crate has come in very handy with Ryn. We use it camping (on occassion) and when we travel.

I don't think that was a fair response. Newbies like myself and Shaiasaur are on here to learn and to gain knowledge from the more experienced like yourself. We are not all born with the information automatically. It appears that you have had numerous dogs from your sig, and helping new owners, despite how far away the actual arrival date may be can really make a difference.

Could you fathom that someone who needed information about a Sibe, not getting the right education, then eventually turning the dog in? It would be a shame.

Now back to the issue of crating.

I'm using a divider currently our our little pup. Is there a particular size I should "divide" it into? I do notice that she LOVES the small nook by the foot of our couch. I've made the divided area of the crate relatively the same size. Put a blanket over it except for the door area and put toys in. I've even aimed a fan at the crate to make it cooler than the couch area. But she still prefers the couch area.... I leave the door open, and in the middle of the night i find her back at the couch.

You want to divide the crate enough to allow your pup to stand, turn around, and lay down. Your pup will not want to pee or soil in such a confined space. This will help you in the "Potty Training" stage as well as the "Crate Training" stage. Hope this helps...