He's at it again, aggressive NOT possessive.....Help Please

Lazacka

:(

Well, about 2 months back I posted that we got a new puppy and was surprised to find out that he exhibited aggressive behavior when we gave him a chewy. A lot of people stated that it was "toy possessiveness" and not "aggressive" behavior. Well, I fear that's not the case.

I took everyone's advice, trainers, forums, vets, etc. and things were going smoothly. I can put Nigel's food down, tell him off, take it away and put it back down, not a mere growl. I take him to Pet Smart he gets along very well with all the other dogs (more on that later) A while ago he growled and turned and snapped at my wrist when I tried to help him get his kong that was stuck under the chair. I was livid and put the kong away, the vet said to give it back, we did and have had no problems with it since. This is a dog that I walk almost daily and he plays with everyone, sometimes my kids do it, and he is amazing during his walks with me. He's about 90% loose leash trained, he stops when I say stop, he doesn't run when I tell him not to, he's getting so much better. He gets a lot of attention because he's a puppy and he''s always friendly. If I stop and talk too long he'll sit but start to howl when he gets bored and wants to go, so I go. The vet and the trainer told us both that he has "aggressive behavior" and that he will end up biting someone if we don't get it under control. They even told us to threaten our kids that we will get rid of the dog if they don't start following every single solitary command that we've taught them to do to the dog. One of my sons couldn't care less about the dog, he'll walk, feed and clean up after him, pat him every so often and that's it, the other one wants to pay attention to him, but is lazy as the day is long, let's him go through the door before him, runs him on his leash, and will yell at the dog if he gets too rough then walk away and leave him in the dust. It's becoming unbearable, honestly it is. They take zero interest in the dog's training. My daughter adores him, but would rather spoil him than discipline him. We sat them down along with the trainer and told them that the dog will be best served with another family due to his aggressive behavior (this wasn't a threat, this is the truth, I'm exasperated).....okay sorry so long, but here's the pinnacle of my story....

I kept saying that he needed puppies to play with because most older dogs don't want puppies playing with them. We were at Pet Smart yesterday and some tool who was on notice 2 times that his dachshund wanted at my dog badly. She was growling and trying to get at him and he just ignored her, you could tell he was a bit nervous of her. I kept him far away from her. Well without notice or provocation the jerk's dog came bombing around a corner and attacked my dog, she wasn't being held on her leash, she got 3 bites in before I could get him up off the floor and yell to the guy to get his dog, he came over got the leash and didn't so much as say he was sorry. ugh...irresponsible dog owners drive me crazy! So now we go to the river and he finds these two huge puppies that he has a blast with, good, he's not afraid of other dogs.....then we get home, he was so good all day. My husband was doing yard work and had a pile of rocks that were against the fence, he was out in the yard with my husband. i went out to play a little ball with him when i saw him over by the rocks digging to get something. I was laughing and said "come on out of there" and he kept digging, so I said "Nigel off" he kept going so again, I grabbed him by his collar gently to pull him off the rocks and he growled viciously and bit my hand. No blood drawn but it stung. He literally a nano second later acted like NOTHING happened, trying to play with me and chase me. I picked him up and put him in his crate for an hour. Tonight, he was lying on the floor and my husband bent down to pet him and he growled, not once but twice, he picked him up (at my insistence!) and put him in the crate. My husband acted nice to him after and a little timid. The dog is only 5 months old! The vet said he needs to be crate trained, this is another issue, my husband and daughter won't help me here. They would rather sleep on the couch than put him in the crate in the basement. I want him in the crate! He's there now and has been howling for an hour.

So after that long long long post, any advice? This is NOT toy/food possession, this is 100% an aggressive dog, both the trainer and the vet told us so. He can be good as gold then turn into the devil in 2 seconds flat if he doesn't get his way. I am 100% prepared to give him away to a home who wants an aggressive dog if his behavior doesn't stop. I'm not in the mood for a dog that I have to worry about biting someone, seriously, I'm not. I put a lot of time and love into this dog and sometimes, he just doesn't even give a crap when he sees one of us. I'm starting to think he just doesn't like us or he picked up on no one wanting to spend time with him. Maybe we should just give him away, I don't want to, but if that's what's best for him and the family, I just may do so. So any last ditch efforts before we have to throw in the towel? I'm so utterly disappointed. We researched for months on what type of dog to get, Husky's are not aggressive dogs, we paid a lot of money because he was breed for his temperament and is of championship bloodline. It's gut wrenching to me that we've put over 2 months of love, care, work and money into this puppy and he is not what we bargained for. Maybe I'm just venting, but this is how I feel right now.

So thank you in advance, you guys gave me great advice the last time! Oh the trainer suggested a collar that will zap him? (I'm using the wrong word) but that's how he trains all his dogs and they're amazing. Anyone use one of those collars? I was against it, but now not only do I want to get one for my dog, I'd like to get one for the rest of the family! PS, if we're nothing but disciplinarians to the dog now, will he ever love us? I thought we bonded there for a while, we were best buddies and now this :( Thanks!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay firstly hes a pup. a 5 month old pup. Hes not an aggressive dog, im sorry but hes not. He has some issues sure, but labelling him as aggressive is not helpful.

Puppies are challenging, husky puppies are even worse!

hes getting to that adolescence stage.

Crate training, is a great idea and you need the whole family on board.

Electric collars? nope I wouldnt use one, he already has issues you dont need to add to them.

Rehoming?? if you state hes an aggressive dog, you wont find anyone to rehome him he will go to a shelter and probably be put to sleep. [MENTION=107]Bec[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2703]Staceybob[/MENTION] are both dog trainers maybe they have good advice?

I defs don't think this is aggression. It seems to me that he's trying to take a more dominant place in your pack. You said your kids let him go first and you let him get his way, as far as he can tell, he calls the shots. He's not being aggressive, just trying to tell you that it's HIS toy and HIS place. You really NEED to get your whole family on board. Without the whole family listening all your efforts will be useless. When you go for a walk and he starts howling to move, don't budge. Let him howl it out. Tell him No and don't move until he's quiet. As heartbreaking as it is, if your kids absolutely refuse to take their place and listen you probably should just stop letting them handle him until they will listen. I would start the Nothing in life is Free training program. (It's a link.) Don't fear away when he bites at you, let him know it's not his place to do so and continue with what you were doing. Although it seems like in the garden you might have just scared him.

Crate training...Have you gotten him used to it before closing the door on him? If not, it's simple. Toss a few treats in the back and let Nismo explore the crate on his own. If you catch him stepping into the crate on his own accord praise him. Wait until he's comfortable going in on his own and then try blocking his way out with your hand. If he stays calm, give him another treat. Then you can try closing the door. Do this only for a few seconds at first and then gradually work your way up to a few minutes. Calm = praise or treat. When you're ready, sit there until he falls asleep then try to get up and sit on the couch or bed or something. Don't leave your pup alone in the room in the crate at first. Sit where he can see you. Make sure you've taken him to potty prior to crating so that if he starts crying you can be sure it's not because he has to pee. If he does start crying, ignore him. Don't look at him, don't talk to him, and most importantly do not let him out. He may be crying 10 minutes, he may be crying an hour, so prepare the ear plugs. Once he's been calm and quiet for at least 5 minutes you may open the door to let him out, or, if you're lucky, he's fallen asleep. Make sure he's got a toy or two and something to chew on like a bone in there with him to keep him occupied. Before you know it, he'll be sleeping all night silently. Oh right, and I'd sit near the crate when you first start putting him in there. Being able to see you can be very comforting. Least, that's what I did with Niko.

Then again, I'm no expert and I'm a new dog owner myself so I could be wrong. Best of luck though!

1st off - Do not punish him for growling, this is a sure fire way to make any issues he has worse. Growling is the dogs way of saying 'im not comfortable with what's happening'. If you punish him for growling, he will just cut out that warning, he'll still feel uncomfortable, but wont want to get into trouble, so his next stage will be an air snap or a warning nip, which is he gets told off for he will also skip and go straight for a proper bite.

From now on keep a trailing lead on him, a few meters long. When you need to remove him from a situation use the lead instead of grabbing his collar, this will prevent bites. A lot of dogs dont like having their collars grabbed.

As for family members, you have to train them, after 3 years i'm still training the men in this house, my OH overfeeds them and his dad gets them overexcited & they both allow them to jump up lol. Humans are harder to train than dogs lol

You know... I still think he's not an aggressive dog. Aggressive dogs won't be so nice biting you without drawing a blood. They will keep barking and growling at you and bite your arms off. Nigel is not like that. He is a puppy going to his teenage stage. Judging from your definition there your "pack" is inconsistent and Nigel is deffo not the lowest-ranking member in your pack. He might consider him higher-ranking than you, so that growl is nothing more than a "NO!" in his language. He was just correcting you, that is why the bite didn't draw blood. Your fear is not helping either. It made him certain that he did the right thing. Confusing? Let's imagine Nigel is a human and you're a dog. You're misbehaving by biting Nigel too hard and Nigel said "NO! Be nice" to you. Then, you stepped back and behaved correctly. Nigel was certain now that saying "no" helps in training you. Nigel was not being evil, he loves you but he doesn't want an ill-mannered companion. Got the big picture already? THAT is what's happening in Nigel's brain. All of his growls and his warning bites were meant to correct you. It was a "NO" in dog language, nothing else. Aggressive dog? Don't think so.

This issue is fixable, trust me it is. Get a better behaviorist, I really can't see how can a behaviorist tell you Nigel is aggressive. Btw you should try to think about this from a different point of view as well. Nigel has just lived with you for two months. It is way too much to ask him to form a strong bond with your family right now. And plus, about the "doesn't give a crap when he sees us" thing, I think it was just a husky thing. They're not a sloppy kisser like Labs who will run from the other end of the house to greet you and give you big wet doggy kisses. Diamond never give a crap if I left him for a day or even a week, but I know there's this indescribable bond between us that really makes up for the non-existent welcome home greetings. Last but not least, please do not deem the entire breed the same thing you see in one specimen. Even if Nigel is actually aggressive it is not fair to say "I was very disappointed I did my research: huskies are not aggressive breeds". Don't blame the breed, it has nothing to do with Nigel's behavior. Every individual varies and you happen to bring home a more pushy/dominant puppy that's all

Edited by mydiamond

Warning: this is a tough love post.

I took everyone's advice, trainers, forums, vets, etc. and things were going smoothly.

You have been given a lot of different advice since your first thread, so even if you did follow it all (which IMO is not possible because it was all so varying) you're not being clear to the dog on what it is you expect from him.

I gave you a couple of programs to implement and follow in your first thread, did you?

I can put Nigel's food down, tell him off, take it away and put it back down, not a mere growl.

I am pretty sure I recall in your first thread telling you not to reprimand him or take away his food like this. Not that you have to follow my advice, but if he is insecure around resources he values, you are only adding to that insecurity by threatening him and taking away his food. It teaches him he has a reason to feel threatened.

I take him to Pet Smart he gets along very well with all the other dogs (more on that later) A while ago he growled and turned and snapped at my wrist when I tried to help him get his kong that was stuck under the chair. I was livid and put the kong away, the vet said to give it back, we did and have had no problems with it since. This is a dog that I walk almost daily and he plays with everyone, sometimes my kids do it, and he is amazing during his walks with me. He's about 90% loose leash trained, he stops when I say stop, he doesn't run when I tell him not to, he's getting so much better. He gets a lot of attention because he's a puppy and he''s always friendly. If I stop and talk too long he'll sit but start to howl when he gets bored and wants to go, so I go. The vet and the trainer told us both that he has "aggressive behavior" and that he will end up biting someone if we don't get it under control. They even told us to threaten our kids that we will get rid of the dog if they don't start following every single solitary command that we've taught them to do to the dog. One of my sons couldn't care less about the dog, he'll walk, feed and clean up after him, pat him every so often and that's it, the other one wants to pay attention to him, but is lazy as the day is long, let's him go through the door before him, runs him on his leash, and will yell at the dog if he gets too rough then walk away and leave him in the dust. It's becoming unbearable, honestly it is. They take zero interest in the dog's training. My daughter adores him, but would rather spoil him than discipline him. We sat them down along with the trainer and told them that the dog will be best served with another family due to his aggressive behavior (this wasn't a threat, this is the truth, I'm exasperated).....okay sorry so long, but here's the pinnacle of my story....

I don't know you, or your dog, but going from your above paragraph it sounds like you've been teaching him that he gets to control all the good things. If he howls because he's bored and wants you to change your behaviour so he can do something more interesting, you do it. You let your children spoil him. He gets to play with and greet whatever people and dogs he comes across. Dogs only do things for two reasons: to gain reward or avoid correction. He is learning that not only are you inconsistent but he knows how he can get rewards and this involves ignoring you and controlling his environment.

Why would you expect your kids to fix this problem? Why should they be responsible for the dog? I'm not trying to be harsh, but be realistic. You are the adult, the one who made the decision to get the dog in the first place. You should be primarily responsible for it. Expecting your kids to step up and be responsible isn't fair to them or the dog. Either you or your husband need to take 100% full responsibility for the dog. Someone needs to take ownership of him.

I kept saying that he needed puppies to play with because most older dogs don't want puppies playing with them.

Why does he need to play with other dogs?

We were at Pet Smart yesterday and some tool who was on notice 2 times that his dachshund wanted at my dog badly. She was growling and trying to get at him and he just ignored her, you could tell he was a bit nervous of her. I kept him far away from her. Well without notice or provocation the jerk's dog came bombing around a corner and attacked my dog, she wasn't being held on her leash, she got 3 bites in before I could get him up off the floor and yell to the guy to get his dog, he came over got the leash and didn't so much as say he was sorry. ugh...irresponsible dog owners drive me crazy! So now we go to the river and he finds these two huge puppies that he has a blast with, good, he's not afraid of other dogs.....then we get home, he was so good all day. My husband was doing yard work and had a pile of rocks that were against the fence, he was out in the yard with my husband. i went out to play a little ball with him when i saw him over by the rocks digging to get something. I was laughing and said "come on out of there" and he kept digging, so I said "Nigel off" he kept going so again, I grabbed him by his collar gently to pull him off the rocks and he growled viciously and bit my hand. No blood drawn but it stung. He literally a nano second later acted like NOTHING happened, trying to play with me and chase me. I picked him up and put him in his crate for an hour. Tonight, he was lying on the floor and my husband bent down to pet him and he growled, not once but twice, he picked him up (at my insistence!) and put him in the crate. My husband acted nice to him after and a little timid. The dog is only 5 months old! The vet said he needs to be crate trained, this is another issue, my husband and daughter won't help me here. They would rather sleep on the couch than put him in the crate in the basement. I want him in the crate! He's there now and has been howling for an hour.

It sounds like he's already used to getting his own way so when you 'confront' him or tell him to do something differently he tells you to back off. Why would he do what you want? You've taught him that HE dictates what is rewarding and how to get it.

This is NOT toy/food possession,

Is he guarding items that he considers high value? If so, it IS resource guarding.

this is 100% an aggressive dog, both the trainer and the vet told us so.

What kind of trainer was it that you saw? How did they assess him? I wouldn't assess aggressive behaviour over the internet and neither would any reputable trainer but this:

He can be good as gold then turn into the devil in 2 seconds flat if he doesn't get his way.

Tells me that this is a dog that doesn't respect you and has been taught he is the one who decides how to get what he wants and when, not that this is a dog with a serious aggression problem. Just about any dog has the ability to behave like this whether or not they are 'aggressive', I have a dog here who would act like this if she thought that was the way to get what she wanted. There is not a dog on the planet that doesn't have the ability to display aggression if they think it will work for them.

I am 100% prepared to give him away to a home who wants an aggressive dog if his behavior doesn't stop.

Are you 100% committed to him and fixing his behaviour? I honestly don't suspect it would take much (and that is a GUESS only going by your post as I don't know you or your dog) but it would require you to give 100%.

BTW:

Oh the trainer suggested a collar that will zap him? (I'm using the wrong word) but that's how he trains all his dogs and they're amazing. Anyone use one of those collars? I was against it, but now not only do I want to get one for my dog, I'd like to get one for the rest of the family! PS, if we're nothing but disciplinarians to the dog now, will he ever love us? I thought we bonded there for a while, we were best buddies and now this :( Thanks!

I love e-collars, I think they are super tool when used properly. I don't think that using one would address the root problems here though.

Giving your dog boundaries and teaching them what behaviours do and don't gain success for them doesn't mean your dog won't 'like' you. Part of building a good relationship with your dog is learning what motivates them and how to make them think obeying you gives them exactly what they want. That won't be of any detriment to your relationship with your dog, it will do the exact opposite and create an awesome bond between dog and owner. :)

Edited by Bec

First off, I was very tired and exasperated when I wrote this post in the middle of the night last night so if seemed all over the place, I apologize.

Oh my, thank you all!

I will try to address you all individually :)

Stormandangels: I understand what you're saying, but when I say "rehoming" I mean with a family or person who can work with them. It would be as a last resort, I want to try and fix this first. Thanks!

Duremite: I'm trying to get my whole family on board, they're just not being consistent. Actually, WE'RE all not being consistent with his crate training, he had stomach issues prior so he couldn't be crated. Those are all set and instead of listening to him howl for hours in a crate (yes hours) they would rather just take him out and sleep on the couch or allow him to sleep on his bed on my daughter's floor. The vet suggested the basement, she said he needs to be crated. The NILF is exactly how I have trained him to sit, stay, down, off and a few other simple commands. So yes, we're using that method too. He was used to being in the crate, when I put him in it after he bit me, he didn't so much as utter a peep until about 45 minutes when he started to whine a bit. He just doesn't want to behave it seems. You're right, I should let him howl it out when we walk if I stop too long, but it's embarrassing lol....but I'm 99% (not 100%) in control of him when we walk and he's 90% well behaved....I could very well be the problem too. Thanks for your advice!

Sid Wolf; Someone else suggested that (the leash) and I think I'm going to start working with that in home as well. I just thought he would get confused and want think he was going on his walks. I didn't want to overwhelm him...again, that could be part of the problem, maybe I'm just trying too hard?? Thanks :)

mydiamond; THANK YOU again your posts make me feel so much better! The trainer said he exhibits aggressive behavior, as well as the vet put it in writing! I was mortified when I saw that in black and white :( no one wants to see their "child" is the bad kid. His next appointment is June 13th for his pre-op (oh yeah, the pom poms dropped now it's time to have them removed lol) and I want him to get a better report card when we go in. BTW, I was not fearful of him when he bit me, I was furious but just picked him up in a huff and marched him to his crate. I'm not afraid of the little brat, my husband seemed intimidated when the dog growled at him. When I said pick him up and put him in his crate (it was bedtime anyway) he seemed a little timid. I gave Nigel 100% warning before I took him by the collar, I learned that the last time and that's how we broke him from his bad behavior for food/toy possession and was shocked that he turned around and bit me. I'm going to stick with our behavioralist/trainer for now, I want him to have consistent people training him, if it gets worse then I will change other than that I will keep working with him. Ugh...it's so hard. Thanks again for your awesome advice! :) Oh and pushy, lol yeah that's how I'd describe him too.

Edited by Lazacka

@Lazacka sounds like you've find your problem there. The pack is inconsistent. Fix that, listen to a reputable behaviorist (still thinks you need to change trainer btw Nigel won't be that confused if he has just seen this person once. A trainer that label every dog "aggressive" is not a good one), slap the vet in the face, tell him Nigel is a good dog and he'll be okay :) Bec up there gave a wonderful advice. She's a real dog trainer btw :up:

EDIT: you can not really blame the kids/the husband when they're not helping you in fixing Nigel's problem. Start with yourself, once you're being consistent and gained his respect the other family members will see that being patient/consistent might be hard but it ACTUALLY worth it. People need to see it to believe it.

Edited by mydiamond

agree with all the other posts , it deffo still sounds like possesiveness/testing/pushing the boundries and not aggression , tbh just because the 'trainer' and the vet said he was doesnt mean its true , u can get bad trainers who will label dogs when really they just dont actually understand themselves that its just a husky puppy testing you (and husky puppies are worse then normal pups imo when it comes to this) vets also dont always know what they are talking about with regards to this , how much knowledge does the trainer and the vet have in the breed? my vet i go to for general things such as boosters etc thought my girl was an akita! :/

stick to one method that works for you and your pup and stick too it , deffo try your best to get everyone on board aswell as this will help things n speed them along

last but not least: how old is baby Nigel again? Neutering should only be done at the right age... This is actually down to personal preference but judging from Nigel's dominance I would prefer to be on the safe side and wait until he's at least 10 months old before neutering. Some people (large number of people, actually) says that neutering too early affects a dog's behavior and made them slightly shy or skittish. Doesn't happen on all dogs but IMO you have enough behavioral problem in your hands deffo don't think you need a couple more =\

[MENTION=2850]mydiamond[/MENTION] One of the problems with Neutering too young isn't in my understanding the risk of developing behavioral issues....it's got more to do with a change in bone growth. Because the conclusion of puberty is when a dogs body typically sends out the 'stop growing' message to the bones...neutering too early can result in a leggier looking dog because the body sends the 'stop growing' message at different times, and so typically the upper part of the leg will stop growing, and the lower part of the leg will keep growing for a bit longer. I don't know if this actually increases the risk of injury or not...

Another thing to take into acount is that you'll find a lot more Sibes you'll find in shelters between the ages of 7months and under 2 years. Most people think that once you hit the magical age of 12 months a dog is all grown up...Sibes are not mature and stating adulthood until 24 months of age...that means that you can have an entire year of puberty based behavior and boundary testing.

[MENTION=7424]Lazacka[/MENTION] There's a lot of good advice here, some maybe things you don't want to hear. Sibes are generally a mouthier breed than others which can be mistaken for aggression. Most of what you've posted seems to be mouthing rather than actual biting, particularly since the skin isn't being broken. Additionally it seems that structure is a big deal...I'm gunna break it down to you like this. I have 5 children who believe the dogs are the family dogs...and that's fine. They help out with some things better than others...but the dogs are MINE. I take responsibility for their training and behavior. Running with a dog like your one kid likes to do...THAT's actually great. My boys enjoy running with the dogs more than they enjoy walking them properly...so that's usually what I have them do...."Go take so and so for a mile or two." When they get back it's a good time to take a smaller walk, and work specifically on things during walks as they've gotten that initial bit of energy out.

Sibes are increadably smart dogs...they will pick out the weakest link so to speak and take advantage of it. Remember when training: It's not what you INTEND to teach that matters...it's what the dog actually takes away from things....

@mydiamond One of the problems with Neutering too young isn't in my understanding the risk of developing behavioral issues....it's got more to do with a change in bone growth. Because the conclusion of puberty is when a dogs body typically sends out the 'stop growing' message to the bones...neutering too early can result in a leggier looking dog because the body sends the 'stop growing' message at different times, and so typically the upper part of the leg will stop growing, and the lower part of the leg will keep growing for a bit longer. I don't know if this actually increases the risk of injury or not...

thanks for that Steph :D always good to learn something new :up: as for Lazacka ignore my post above sorry

nope, ain't gonna go there. I just wiped out a good <??> long message as you don't need more input. You've gotten some good advice - you need to try to apply it.

If you saw my most recent thread, I'm running into some of the same problems but with a girl who's probably two years old - she's now (back) on NILIF and we'll stay on it till she responds consistently to what I want. In her case it's food and she'll realize sooner or later that if she wants to eat she'll do it on my terms<period>.

Good luck!

Warning: this is a tough love post. Response, THANK YOU! J

“You have been given a lot of different advice since your first thread, so even if you did follow it all (which IMO is not possible because it was all so varying) you're not being clear to the dog on what it is you expect from him.

I gave you a couple of programs to implement and follow in your first thread, did you?”

Yes maybe I over spoke by saying all, I was overwhelmed and tired when I wrote that post. Whoever gave me the NILF link and the tummy issues advice, I worked with Nigel regarding those and found out we were over feeding him and have fixed his toy possessiveness. He allows you to take anything that is in his mouth out without even a grunt (this is only for those times he’ll have something in there that doesn’t belong like a cotton ball or a rock or something he’s picked up a the park).

“I am pretty sure I recall in your first thread telling you not to reprimand him or take away his food like this. Not that you have to follow my advice, but if he is insecure around resources he values, you are only adding to that insecurity by threatening him and taking away his food. It teaches him he has a reason to feel threatened. “

I do not reprimand him at all and that worked with the toy possession, it actually started out as a game with him and the toys after working with him. Now, the food..we were making him sit, we wait five seconds and then tell him go and end with a “good boy!” rub on the shoulder blades. The vet was the one who said that was great, but can you take his food away? So we just started that this week with no problems. She said he has aggressive behavior and even wrote it in his report card L It stinks to see your dog is the bad doggy! I was just following her instructions.

“I don't know you, or your dog, but going from your above paragraph it sounds like you've been teaching him that he gets to control all the good things. If he howls because he's bored and wants you to change your behaviour so he can do something more interesting, you do it. You let your children spoil him. He gets to play with and greet whatever people and dogs he comes across. Dogs only do things for two reasons: to gain reward or avoid correction. He is learning that not only are you inconsistent but he knows how he can get rewards and this involves ignoring you and controlling his environment.”

Yes you’re probably correct, I try to be consistent, but I don’t let my kids spoil him, I just can’t control every single move they make and I insist they stop.

“Why would you expect your kids to fix this problem? Why should they be responsible for the dog? I'm not trying to be harsh, but be realistic. You are the adult, the one who made the decision to get the dog in the first place. You should be primarily responsible for it. Expecting your kids to step up and be responsible isn't fair to them or the dog. Either you or your husband need to take 100% full responsibility for the dog. Someone needs to take ownership of him. “

Okay I don’t expect them to fix it, but I do expect them to participate. This is where the inconsistency comes in, vet, and trainer both said it, the vet was the one who told us to have the sit down with them. They are telling us that this dog is exhibiting aggressive behavior, is ruling the roost and they need to be involved. I can only do so much, I cannot be with him 100% of the time. I will walk him 4/5 times a week, my daughter will do the other 2/3 days and the boys take him for his nightly after dinner short walk. I know for a fact one of them will just run him to get it over with. Nigel has been taught to sit, wait, then we walk out the door first, then “come” and “good boy!” one of my sons and my daughter will NOT do that. They have to be involved or they’re undoing everything he’s been taught. I’m not putting the blame on them, just trying to explain why they need to be involved. The trainer and the vet both said it was better for the kids to be there during his training sessions because they don’t listen to their parents and to hear it from another party involved will make it more dire (for the lack of a better word) for them to be consistent with his training.

“Why does he need to play with other dogs? “

We were told to socialize him from the get go. He’s supposed to be socialized with other dogs. Again, trainer and vet and any article you read about Husky’s. I’m just doing what I believe is right.

“It sounds like he's already used to getting his own way so when you 'confront' him or tell him to do something differently he tells you to back off. Why would he do what you want? You've taught him that HE dictates what is rewarding and how to get it.”

I’m trying to stop this, honestly, that’s why I came back here…..I want to fix this.

“Is he guarding items that he considers high value? If so, it IS resource guarding.”

He was digging in the rocks, he wasn’t guarding anything that I know if, he just didn’t want me to tell him to stop. He was fully aware I was there, he was fully aware I told him to stop and heard my command of “off” a few times. There was no surprise element to this incident. No one snuck up from behind, no one grabbed him from behind, this was clearly him not wanting to stop doing what he was doing and me taking control and him biting me as a “back off lady, I’m doing what I want!” I don’t know if that would be called guarding. He literally thought it was fine that he did it, he started to jump and tried to play with me a nano second after. I wasn’t afraid of him, I picked him up and marched him to his crate. My hand is still sore from his bite.

“What kind of trainer was it that you saw? How did they assess him? I wouldn't assess aggressive behaviour over the internet and neither would any reputable trainer but this: “

He has a fantastic reputation lol. I don’t know what to say. The vet’s assistant is a trainer by profession also and she used the exact same phrase “this puppy is exhibiting aggressive behavior” believe me, I was heartbroken. I thought they were all wrong but now that he’s bit me, I have to face the facts that he is and need to get this under control asap.

“Tells me that this is a dog that doesn't respect you and has been taught he is the one who decides how to get what he wants and when, not that this is a dog with a serious aggression problem. Just about any dog has the ability to behave like this whether or not they are 'aggressive', I have a dog here who would act like this if she thought that was the way to get what she wanted. There is not a dog on the planet that doesn't have the ability to display aggression if they think it will work for them.”

Couldn’t agree more! I just want him to stop it lol.

Are you 100% committed to him and fixing his behaviour? I honestly don't suspect it would take much (and that is a GUESS only going by your post as I don't know you or your dog) but it would require you to give 100%.

YES I am 100% committed to fixing him first! It’s a very hard thing for me to even think about re-homing him, but I’m trying to do what’s best for the dog. What kind of owner would I be if I didn’t try to fix it first and didn’t know when to give up and let him get bigger, bite someone, then have to have him put down? Not a good one that’s for sure. It’s also the reason I’m here. I want to fix this. I want Nigel to be a well behaved adult dog that I don’t have to fear will bite anyone of my kid’s friends or a stranger when we’re walking or a family member. I want him to listen to us, I want him to be happy and love us too. We have so many plans for Nigel it’s heartbreaking to think he may have to be re-homed. I love taking him on his walks and adventures and spending time with him. We play ball together, we go in the river together, I thought we had an understanding. I didn’t think I allowed him to get away with his behavior but clearly I have. Letting him dictate to me that he’s bored and wants to move now is really him telling me in a nice way to let’s go and I do. That is sending him mixed signal and I didn’t realize I was part of the problem, but clearly I am. It’s a holiday today here and his trainer won’t be in his office until tomorrow but I’m going to call him

tomorrow and let him know what happened.

BTW:

“I love e-collars, I think they are super tool when used properly. I don't think that using one would address the root problems here though.”

I agree, but I think we’re going to get one anyway. I have seen the trainers adult dogs and he comes highly recommended and he uses “e collars” so I will be getting one for him.

“Giving your dog boundaries and teaching them what behaviours do and don't gain success for them doesn't mean your dog won't 'like' you. Part of building a good relationship with your dog is learning what motivates them and how to make them think obeying you gives them exactly what they want. That won't be of any detriment to your relationship with your dog, it will do the exact opposite and create an awesome bond between dog and owner. ”

Thank you SO MUCH for your tough love advice and the time you took to address my issues. I sincerely appreciate it, I do. I may have written that post out of frustration but it was unfortunately all true. I love Nigel and want him to be the best dog when he’s older. I don’t like hearing that my puppy is exhibiting “aggressive behavior” and seeing him try to bite people who are trying to train him, including me! I will keep working with him and hopefully things will work out. I thank you again and again and again for your time and advice. J

Oh wow, by the time I wrote that post to Bec you guys already had more posts! lol I'm trying to get used to this new format here and it keeps logging me out...ugh..

Anyway, I don't know who said "Slap your vet" but that made me laugh! :D She wasn't our regular vet, she was the one who was there that day, Nigel's reg doc had the day off and he was just going in to finish up his shots and she literally wrote on his paperwork "behavioral problems, shows signs of aggressiveness" huh? I did think, who does that? The vet's assistant did pick him up to calm him down and he got so upset he tried to bite her not once but twice, he also tried to bite the trainer when he tried to show us how to put Nigel in a submissive position. Maybe we are working with the wrong people. Not sure how much experience they've had with Siberians but I do know that the trainer owns 2 German's and our friends Boxer was trained by him and a 2 year old could walk him. They all used the e collar.

I am a little overwhelmed at the moment and maybe I'm asking too much from other people, but I don't want Nigel to grow into an aggressive adult who will "bite one of the kid's friends" like I've been told. Hopefully if I take 100% control, this will stop. I am going to go back to the start and retrace my steps and see where I went wrong.

Thanks again for all the advice and the tough posts, I don't mind them because if I'm doing something wrong, I want to be told it, otherwise I can't fix me. That's what my post was about, what was I doing wrong, not Nigel, he's a puppy, I'm an adult human it's up to me to fix it! Thanks :)

I know everyone on here is trying to help and it is overwhelming to me so I can't imagine how you feel. Have you contacted the breeder you bought him from? Most will take back a puppy if it is not working out for you. If you say he was bred for his temperment, and it's not the one you want, you may never give 100% because what you have is not living up to your expectations. I know everyone else is telling you to fix it, but if you don't want the dog and he's too much work for you, and family is not on board, you are always going to be unhappy with one or the other...you could give it back to your breeder and be done with the problem. Maybe a puppy isn't the best choice for your family. Just my 2 cents.

I know everyone on here is trying to help and it is overwhelming to me so I can't imagine how you feel. Have you contacted the breeder you bought him from? Most will take back a puppy if it is not working out for you. If you say he was bred for his temperment, and it's not the one you want, you may never give 100% because what you have is not living up to your expectations. I know everyone else is telling you to fix it, but if you don't want the dog and he's too much work for you, and family is not on board, you are always going to be unhappy with one or the other...you could give it back to your breeder and be done with the problem. Maybe a puppy isn't the best choice for your family. Just my 2 cents.

Funny thing is we did contact the breeder for some advice and never heard from her, go figure. He did come with a 2 year guaranteed health, but I don't believe it would be for behavioral problems. I think that the advice, as overwhelming as it is, was something I asked for and am willing to try because I want to try. I wouldn't ship him back to the breeder, that would only stress him out more, I would honestly if it came down to it, find him a good home with maybe another husky for him to be happy at. Maybe he's still missing his family, I don't know?? I know they're pack dogs......For now, I'm not ready to throw in the towel, I'm ready to work harder and hope it works. He's been nothing but a Saint all morning, he's lying right next to me on the floor, something he never usually does, he usually takes his morning nap on his bed or over by the doorway where the hardwood is. thanks for your input! :)

I do not think he is being aggressive. Panda is 5 Months and a week old, just this morning he mouth'd me because he was relaxing and i tried to pull out a tuft of hair on his behind lol. It's also something he does when i touch a spot he's uncomfortable with, like his paws. If he was aggressive he would've drawn blood at the very least.

My parents dont know what boundaries to set for him, so i set the boundaries and have them follow.

Your vet and trainer seem to be going quick to label a dog as aggressive. If you treat a dog as an aggressive dog - then nine times out of ten, it will end up being an aggressive dog as you'll be on edge all the time. Give them the boot.

What I personally think is going wrong is inconsistency with boundaries and training. Everyone in the house hold should actively take an interest in how this dog is being brought up. If you aren't consistent, the dog doesn't understand what they can and can't do, and so they will make mistakes.

I definitely don't think you should be considering an E-Collar, especially on a 5 month old pup. He needs to be treated in the same way by everyone and taught right from wrong.

NILIF is a good training programme to go by.

Stacey xxx

Your vet and trainer seem to be going quick to label a dog as aggressive. If you treat a dog as an aggressive dog - then nine times out of ten, it will end up being an aggressive dog as you'll be on edge all the time. Give them the boot.

What I personally think is going wrong is inconsistency with boundaries and training. Everyone in the house hold should actively take an interest in how this dog is being brought up. If you aren't consistent, the dog doesn't understand what they can and can't do, and so they will make mistakes.

I definitely don't think you should be considering an E-Collar, especially on a 5 month old pup. He needs to be treated in the same way by everyone and taught right from wrong.

NILIF is a good training programme to go by.

Stacey xxx

Thank you Stacey!!! I too was sort of mortified that they labeled him that IN HIS RECORDS even. Maybe I am so determined to have him get a good report card from his vets that I'm overdoing it and try to push it too soon too quick. Nigel was making strides and he was listening and like I stated he is 90% loose leash trained and they made me feel like a bad owner :( I agree that it's inconstancy, some from me, and a lot from the family. I know some are saying I should be the only one training him, but what happens when the lazy kid lets him out the door before him and I'm not here? What if he darts out the door and gets hit by a car? The trainer and the vet both said that the entire family has to be involved in his consistent training. I'm so confused lol. I'm not asking the kids to read books and train the dog while I eat bon bons, the kids aren't babies (14 & 19) I'm simply asking them to do what the trainer says to do when Nigel is exhibiting bad behavior and to stick to the simple commands that we give him and he gets nothing for free! He doesn't get a treat without sitting and/or lying and staying with us out of eye shot, he doesn't get his food without sitting and waiting patiently, he doesn't go out for his walks until he sits still while we put his harness on...and so on. I thought I was doing the right things, but when I move because he's howling because he wants to go, then I am sending mixed messages, I was wrong.

Again, thank you SO MUCH for your input, your advice, your time, all of you and especially, thank you for not judging me! I'm taking responsibility for Nigel's actions, he's just a puppy. It makes me feel so much better when you guys tell me he's not aggressive, but I'm leery about me just looking for that answer lol

Oh PS, Bec, I believe that was someone else you told about sticking their hands in their food not me, I remember a poster talking about putting their hand in their bowl etc. It was a while ago, but I've never taken his food from him before, just recently and he doesn't mind but if you feel that's not the right thing to do, then I won't do it. I do remember your advice to that other poster and repeat it to my children "how would you like it if someone came along and stuck their finger in your food then took your plate away?" lol so I don't believe it was me, but I did listen to the advice and will continue :)

I do not think he is being aggressive. Panda is 5 Months and a week old, just this morning he mouth'd me because he was relaxing and i tried to pull out a tuft of hair on his behind lol. It's also something he does when i touch a spot he's uncomfortable with, like his paws. If he was aggressive he would've drawn blood at the very least.

My parents dont know what boundaries to set for him, so i set the boundaries and have them follow.

Thanks sjwrx! What a gorgeous little guy you have there, he's just about Nigel's age and they look almost exactly alike! Maybe it's their looks, they're too good looking for their own good ;) lol :)

I'm trying to set the boundaries with Nigel and get the family on board, my husband will listen obviously, one of my sons will but the other two ugh...just now they're getting him ready for his adventure down the river and I'm giving them instructions and they're saying "yeah yeah, I know what my baby likes" :rolleyes: this is what I'm dealing with! Again, do they have those e-collars for children and are they illegal? I'm kidding, I'm kidding! :D

Thanks sjwrx! What a gorgeous little guy you have there, he's just about Nigel's age and they look almost exactly alike! Maybe it's their looks, they're too good looking for their own good ;) lol :)

I'm trying to set the boundaries with Nigel and get the family on board, my husband will listen obviously, one of my sons will but the other two ugh...just now they're getting him ready for his adventure down the river and I'm giving them instructions and they're saying "yeah yeah, I know what my baby likes" :rolleyes: this is what I'm dealing with! Again, do they have those e-collars for children and are they illegal? I'm kidding, I'm kidding! :D

Thanks, yes they are too good looking for their own good lol.

I don't have any kids, as im just 23 myself so i cannot offer any advice with that. Maybe you could exclude them or not allow them to take Nigel out? Until they can follow your instructions.

Have you considered giving each of you boys a specific task with your furbaby?

No, not specifically. I try to get them involved in his feedings at least 2 or 3 times a week so Nigel is used to depending on everyone in the house for his meals, I do make the boys switch off on his nightly walks whereas my daughter and I do his long walks in the day depending on her schedule (she's out of school now but has just started a job that she works until late at night/early morning, so she's sleeping later, he just her this morning and it's been a few days and he's howling and crying at her like he hasn't seen her in years). One of them helps with his grooming, but again, nothing specifically.

Is there something you suggest that would be good for them?

They all partake in his cleaning, grooming and playing